Little Hearts Science question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom2Hh

Little Hearts Science question

Post by mom2Hh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Could someone tell me how connected the Science is in Little Hearts to the History and/or Bible? Could I easily substitute my own science books/activities?

mom24boys

Re: Little Hearts Science question

Post by mom24boys » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:07 pm

The science is so quick that I would go ahead and do the LHFHG science because it is directly correlated to the reading. It is normally only 2 times a week so you could just do the add-on science on the opposite days. :)
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:22 pm

The science is so quick that I would go ahead and do the LHFHG science because it is directly correlated to the reading. It is normally only 2 times a week so you could just do the add-on science on the opposite days.
I agree :D For example, experimenting with cotton and water while talking about different types of clouds, after reading about God using a pillar of clouds to lead Israel.
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 pm

I'd go ahead and do it if it is scheduled but I do say that when we tried Little Hearts there were times that the connections between science and the Bible story were thin at best and times where the book felt disjointed. That was just my opinion. So doing your own thing would be perfectly fine too. However the activities that Carrie has scheduled for science were fun to do!! I do like the science book but would have preferred to read it straight through.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:50 pm

There is a very distinct set of skills that we are working to accomplish in the science section of LHFHG, so while the connections may at times be a bit loose, the science scope and sequence is being well-covered in the areas of life, earth, and physical science. :D It is good to remember that there are actually 70 hands-on science activities within LHFHG, which is a lot of science for a K or a 1st grader. Coming up with your own science to replace that many science activities within in LHFHG would take some doing. So, I would definitely lean in the direction of doing LHFHG science as written. :D

The science text actually matches the history readings quite well overall, when you keep in mind that we are matching it to 70 days of history! :D My boys have made great connections between science and history as we've done LHFHG. The goal is not really to read through the science text cover to cover, as it is more of a text. Instead, we prefer to use it as a follow-up reference book to help us read a bit more about related topics. This helps us reach the goal with LHFHG for the children to make connections among the various disciplines and think about how science is related to all other walks of life. :D

We also desire for kiddos to begin to think scientifically and to truly be able to do the experiments/activities we're asking them to do, rather than watching someone else do the experiments because they are too difficult for a typical K or 1st grader to do or understand. To that end, the science in LHFHG accomplishes its goals. On a sidenote, our own boys have all done science this way, and our 3 oldest sons continue to score in the 99th percentile in science on their standardized tests each year. So, while I place little stock in standardized test results, it does show that our boys are strong in science after having done it this way. We have enjoyed the science immensely with our own boys and pray that you will too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie