Exactly how does DITHOR work?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kwickimom

Exactly how does DITHOR work?

Post by kwickimom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I am looking through my DITHOR TM and I was wondering how it plays out/ how you schedule it. Do you have the child read the assigned reading as a "block" of time during your school day right before you discuss it or do the activites, or do you have them read it the night before and then you discuss and do the activites the next day?

I am going to do level 2/3 workbook with higher level books for my DD9 with Preparing. I am trying to plan out a daily schedule because I will also be doing LHFHG with my DS. I know the manual says about 25 mins to read it and then 15 mins to do the workbook/activites....can I schedule it as "semi' independant? or I was thinking I could have her read it the night before (and read whatever it says to do orally then too)and then we do the workbook the next day- has this worked for anyone?

Thanks

Mercy

Re: Exactly how does DITHOR work?

Post by Mercy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Most of dithor is done independently. Usually you only have a small amount ea day to discuss, then occasionally you will have a full teaching day. Our days varied, usually he would read at his own leasure (sometime in am) and I would do my teaching time combined with my other teaching...english, dictation, etc.
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 pm

kwickimom wrote:I am looking through my DITHOR TM and I was wondering how it plays out/ how you schedule it. Do you have the child read the assigned reading as a "block" of time during your school day right before you discuss it or do the activites, or do you have them read it the night before and then you discuss and do the activites the next day?

I am going to do level 2/3 workbook with higher level books for my DD9 with Preparing. I am trying to plan out a daily schedule because I will also be doing LHFHG with my DS. I know the manual says about 25 mins to read it and then 15 mins to do the workbook/activites....can I schedule it as "semi' independant? or I was thinking I could have her read it the night before (and read whatever it says to do orally then too)and then we do the workbook the next day- has this worked for anyone?

Thanks
I have varied this over the years, largely depending on the dc's age and reading ability. When they were first beginning DITHOR, I had them read their pages out loud to me, and then we did the discussion questions if there were any, and last I went through the Student Book directions and helped as needed.

Now that my dc are older, I look over the day's plans. I do any prereading discussions/activities first. Then, I have them read a portion out loud to me - usually about 2-4 pages or so. Then they finish the day's reading independently (and I usually check some of their work turned in from before from other subject areas - or when I only had 2 dc, I'd do dictation/grammar with the other one). When my child is finished reading, I discuss any questions from the DITHOR guide's plans with them. If there are Student Book pages we go through the directions, and then that child finishes the Student Book on his own and hands it in. I will help with spelling by jotting words they ask for help with on a markerboard. DITHOR is very easy to do. I would consider it semi-independent. I probably wouldn't have her read the pages the night before, as her memory won't be as good on it - but DITHOR doesn't take very long to do, usually around 20-30 minutes, we have found. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

kwickimom

Post by kwickimom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:34 pm

[quote="my3sonsI have varied this over the years, largely depending on the dc's age and reading ability. When they were first beginning DITHOR, I had them read their pages out loud to me, and then we did the discussion questions if there were any, and last I went through the Student Book directions and helped as needed.

Now that my dc are older, I look over the day's plans. I do any prereading discussions/activities first. Then, I have them read a portion out loud to me - usually about 2-4 pages or so. Then they finish the day's reading independently (and I usually check some of their work turned in from before from other subject areas - or when I only had 2 dc, I'd do dictation/grammar with the other one). When my child is finished reading, I discuss any questions from the DITHOR guide's plans with them. If there are Student Book pages we go through the directions, and then that child finishes the Student Book on his own and hands it in. I will help with spelling by jotting words they ask for help with on a markerboard. DITHOR is very easy to do. I would consider it semi-independent. I probably wouldn't have her read the pages the night before, as her memory won't be as good on it - but DITHOR doesn't take very long to do, usually around 20-30 minutes, we have found. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie[/quote]

Thanks Julie, exactly what I needed to hear!