Struggling with choice: MFW CTG or HOD CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
venusmom

Struggling with choice: MFW CTG or HOD CTC

Post by venusmom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi...I'm totally perplexed as to why I can't get happy with my decision. Just the history...did MFW K with my dd-6 & now doing MFW-1 with her - but I really wanted to try Beyond Little HFHG with her and at the last second purchased MFW-1 because K had gone well. My ds-10 (11 in Nov) is still completing ECC and I'm REALLY struggling with choosing. First - I LOVE the idea of some of the book choices in MFW CTG...particularly English from the Roots Up, and maybe Victor Journey & Children's Homer. (Clearly - I could purchase these and add - I've thought of that). But I also love most of the CTC choices - including Archimedes which is in CTG & CTC. So here is my concern...MFW shows the week at a glance - and I think that is good - since sometimes we don't get everything done in a day - and sometimes we do extra. It seems to make it easier to move things around when my week is busy (often - I'm a volunteer at a multitude of things in church, community, and scouts). BUT....I still keep considering that maybe HOD would work better - day by day - since this is sometimes how I live my life. Maybe I wouldn't be so behind now - we are only on week 26 of 34 week schedule in ECC because of interruptions. Sometimes if a 2nd day was interrupted - we just stuck to English, Spelling & Math for the week and put off everything else because it felt like I couldn't catch up. My fear is - if I use the daily guide - this would be worse if I used portions because I'd be flipping back & forth if I didn't want to miss! I'm really trying to pare down my schedule - and hopefully will be easier. Our 21 yr old moved out of state for his 4 yr college & our 20 yr old just completed his 1st yr in Marines & 18 yr old just graduated as a senior in PS. They have kept me pretty busy this year too - it was my first yr homeschooling. DD completed K quickly - but DS had been in public school k-3rd and learning at home took a little work to learn as well!! (Plus - I felt the need to go back a little on math & beef up his math skills.)

I've read that Singapore is a little better explained in HOD - which I need...I also read there is a little more explanation than MFW....and I really need this - especially in bible. I was not raised in a christian home and have little support from church with questions either - so I really need the extra support in the guide. MFW for the most part just gives the lesson and then I feel like I'm winging it. My other concern is that a strong point for MFW was that after this year they would work from the same guide. However - on the converse - I like that they each learn history in order - and if she jumps in at the RTR level - she'll miss CTG in MFW. I also have concerns about her doing well with the same things he is on - she is really bright - but she is four years younger than him and right now she would be totally in over her head with ECC so I'm not sure how she would do just folding into the Rome to Reformation level for her 2nd grade year. Another thought - our library is TINY. I have a great library at home - but I rarely have MFW recommends. That has been ok...but it does seem nice to have readers that flow well with the guide already in my library. OK...I've rambled like crazy. If anybody has used MFW or is familiar with it for children my kids ages - I'd love some direction pertaining to HOD. Thanks - not yet new to HOD, but strongly considering it!!
Mom of 6 wonderful gifts of God - DD-7, DS-11, DS-19, DS-21, DS-23, DD-25
Grandma of a precious, little girl, born Feb 2012
Used: MFW-K & 1st, ECC, CTG
Currently: MFW RTR & HOD LHTH

MrsMandy

Re: Struggling with choice: MFW CTG or HOD CTC

Post by MrsMandy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Oh my you are me all over, I have only time to read the first half of your post but we did MFW-ECC and are doubling up to finish and it is going better than stretching it out like orig. plans and I have DS14 oldest doing CTC HOD this fall and struggled soooooo much over MFW-CTG or this one. I finally did a sort of combo using the books from MFW-CTG as the DITHOR books for HOD CTC and am so glad. I also tweaked to make HS credit worthy which you can read on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208 and here is a little of why viewtopic.php?p=62730#p62730 and here is about the writing curr. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8353 and this one is kind of what sold me and the above links were really me figuring out how to work it out viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8143
Hope this helps and I will try to read later what else you were thinking! :D
Mandy
Married to, Craig, my HERO since 2000
Mom to 3 with #4 due 02/12
Deirdre 2 LHTH
Connor 8 BHFHG
Bradley 15 CTC (and then some)
http://www.emptymelord.blogspot.com/

lisaha1

Post by lisaha1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:38 am

We are currently in prayer over HOD and MFW. I have used MFW for Adventures and ECC. I keep looking back here and am spending some daily time in prayer over it. I can see the benifits and struggles over both. I like the one guide for all in MFW, I like the more dirrection in HOD, I can see the benifits of doing more then one level in HOD on thier own level dispite my incline to combine them all. I like that they are independant earlier in HOD... thinking and praying!

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:38 am

I have used both. I tried Beyond when my older ones were doing 1850 to Modern Times because it was just becoming too wide of an age-range to combine. I tend not to like the MFW suggestions to add for 2nd-3rd graders, so I tried Beyond for my 6 and 8 year olds. I was hooked. I definately like the English, writing, and science better with HOD. I also like the way everything ties together. There seems to be less repetition between resources as well. What sold me though, was the move to independence built into the guides. Having two in high school, I quickly saw that this was an area that I wanted to address earlier with my younger set. I thought I would miss the weekly grid, but I really like the daily plans better now. HOD and MFW are both written by authors who desire to serve the Lord, but HOD fits my teaching style better.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:57 am

I'm a former MFW'er as well...I am so happy with our switch to HOD. MUCH more life to the program with HOD! And my kids have a distinct progression of skills from year to year instead of it being targeted at about the same level for 5 straight years and me having to tweak up and down for each kid. That just takes too much of the open and go out of it. The outward focus was great in MFW, but the inward focus of HOD is a hundred fold better. HOD's focus in on character and the heart, with daily guidance to lead my children to a deeper understanding of God and His Word (at a level they can understand without watering it down!) and will take this inward focus and teach us our own need for a Savior before the outward focus of showing others their need for a Savior. I think that makes more sense! And although MFW has excellent Bible studies, they aren't tied to anything and are very much tacked on. I love how the Bible is so woven into everything we do with HOD, and even the separate Bible study ties into the lessons from history and/or science. Our days are just so much smoother with HOD than they ever were or could be with MFW. I didn't see it as actually combing with MFW, but more or less teaching to one child and letting the others tag along.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

venusmom

Post by venusmom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for all the input. I did not mention that I also prefer the science in HOD as well. Not to mention the beautiful student pages. MFW science was terrible in ECC - the book was good - but sometimes the questions were not actually answered in the text. They seemed to be more inferred - but not on a direct level of my 4th grader. I think they seemed more inferred on an 8th grade level really. This frustrated him often - although it did lead to good discussions - but they were discussions that I had to first research materials to get the topic new and fresh in my brain before I could lead him into an intelligent discussion on the matter. There was virtually no help with this from the guides (either MFW's or the one I purchased from Properties of Ecosystem's - which was a waste of $$ because it provided nothing but the answers - which frustrated me trying to help him.) I'm not against researching a topic - I rather enjoy it - but I paid for curriculum that would help minimize that since I am trying to teach children and still have time to be a wife and keep my house! (I know I sound lazy there - but it's just a plain fact - squeezing it all in and teaching two grade levels doesn't come natural for me (in my defense - I also teach a class to k-5th graders on Sunday night at church and taught a class in co-op for pre-k - 2nd grade all year - but many of you do those things too) - I have a GREAT respect for all of you teaching three or more!! I really wish I could spend a week with a few other families and glean wisdom and ideas from many of you. I have been reading these forums for a while - and ladies - you have patience and talent!!)

I really feel like HOD might provide a more do-able curriculum for us - and might help end our times of fumbling through the things that weren't explained in the guide for MFW. I love the mission focus of MFW - don't get me wrong. I have really also enjoyed the "Christian Heroes" books published by YWAM. But clearly I've read that the christian focus is still very strong - maybe stronger in HOD. I really appreciate all of the help and tips. [deep sigh] I wish this were an easy decision - I tend to really struggle with decisions for my kids - as I know you all do too - or we would not be doing this! I will ponder your advice and spend some time on my knees before our God - I know He knows what is best - and He isn't worried!! Thank goodness!

blessed2five

Post by blessed2five » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi, I just wanted to give you some encouragement and tell you that you are not alone out there. I too just finished up MFW ECC with my dc 14, 12, and 9. I really liked the program but found it above my 9 y/o learning level most of the time. I actually taught it to my older ones and had my dd tag along. Well, this year I decided that I wanted each child to learn at their own level and I wanted to try HOD. I am so looking forward to starting Preparing with my dd 9 this fall. I am not however leaving MFW yet. I will use K with my 4 year old because I already own it and I plan to use AHL with my ds 15 only because I don't want to try and beef up a HOD program for high school. I want to use something already planned out and written for HS. However, I hope to like HOD so much that I will have my four dds use HOD all the way through HS.

Don't get to upset about leaving one program for another. I have switched curriculums more times than I care to admit, but I have a real peace about using HOD because of a lot of the reasons people have stated here.

Hang in there and rest in the One that knows you the best! :D
Emily
Homeschooling mom to 5dc, wife to wonderful dh
dd 13 finished RTR onto RevtoRev in the fall
dd 10 Preparing
dd 5 ready for LHFHG
ds 16, dd 3

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 am

Venusmom,
I have used all of the HOD programs from preschool through Bigger Hearts and I've used MFW K, Adventures, and ECC, there are things I like about both companies. We are currently using MFW's ECC but this fall I plan to come back to HOD and do CTC. My two kids will be 9 and 11 so CTC should be a good fit for both of them using the extension package for my older child.

Over the years I have had days where we didn't finish everything, I usually make notes in the top margin to do those activities later. The daily page is advantageous most of the time. The kids like it because they know when every box is checked, we are done. If I have things I add to our school day, I note them in the top margin so we can check them off there.

While the supply list is not as elaborate as MFWs, if you read the introduction pages for CTC, they list the art supplies needed for the year.

does that help at all.
Lee Ann
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 am

We, too, used MFW K, MFW - 1st, MFW - 2nd & MFW ECC then when we began HOD with Preparing when my oldest were 3rd & 5th. This year we completed CTC and are all looking forward to RTR next year :D . Next year I will have one in 7th, one in 5th and one K :) . The choice to do RTR with my 2 oldest in clear, hands down but I have "struggled" a little with what to do with my youngest. My youngest will be 6 in Oct. so this year I loosely used MFW K with him and next year I am going to adapt MFW 1st for him for his K year and start him with HOD the following year in Beyond for 1st grade. This decision is based a little on cost since I already have much of what I need for him. Also, for me, if I put him on this schedule then when he begins Beyond all 3 boys will be studying similar time periods in history for the rest of school :D - love it! We enjoyed using both MFW and HOD but I can say HOD has been a blessing in so many ways ... I love using it, I feel confident in using it both academically and spiritually, by boys love it, I am not wondering what we have done or covered because of the wonderful TMs. The books chosen are wonderful! It seems much easier to use and we seem to get so much more done, now, too :) I will pray for you as you make this choice!
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

lisaha1

Post by lisaha1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 am

My biggest question on these two cirriculum's is which has a stronger focus on Christ, character qualities and strengthening faith-showing how Jesus is part of every aspect of our lives? Or are they equal in this area? Grammer, science, social ex... meens nothing in eternity but we have been given the blessing of these children to raise for Christ. What a responcability! We need to do all we can into His glory, homeschooling is our minnistry for the Lord.

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 am

I am not sure about their "equality" in the area of Christ focused since I have not used the upper guides in MFW to compare to the same time period in HOD. I know the heart of both curr writers is to provide a Christ focus. MFW is strongly focused on a mission mindset and there has been some good character training as well but what I like better about HOD is the Christian training is strong and found in nearly every area of study. The best part has been that it all ties together! It has been a joy to be reading in our Bible the same time period in our history books or even science! That kind of learning has truly been a joy and a blessing for us. I don't remember this happpening for us in MFW but we only went thru CTC. The book choices in HOD are all rich with character training as well as Christ focused. The TM is also wonderful at helping me with questions for thinking that go along with the reading. I was finding the further I got with MFW the more disjointed the curr became and the things I began to like most where the things I was adding to it. The "flow" with HOD is fabulous and the further I get with it, the more I like it and I don't have to add a thing :D ! Hope that helps a little more ...
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

Polly

Post by Polly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I have both of these programs. I am choosing HOD CTC. I will be tweaking it slightly. I have replaced the DK Illustrated Bible with Victor Journey through the Bible. You can easily add or subtract books like Chidlren's Homer instead of one of the Storytime books. We will adding in our own memory verses, hymn studies, and picture studies. It is really easy to make up your own "week at a glance". I have come to appreciate the style that Carrie uses and don't do that anymore. I did make it up on my own originally.

I know it's not recommended but I will be adding my youngest (6 years old) into our study in CTC. I will add books for her (though she is doing MFW 1st grade which goes along with CTC well). She has always sat in with our reading and narrates (since 18 months old) along with her older brother (I also have a 20 year old.). She picks up what she can and spits the rest out. They are like twins in many respects - despite 4 years age difference. She does not like to be apart from her brother nor he apart from her. SO, doing school together is a must for us.

I agree with the others very much. In the end, my choice between the two programs came down to the difference in literature choices. MFW includes a lot of twaddle. I want my children to avoid twaddle. I have yet to be disappointed with HOD as a whole. I pretty much like everything. If I want something different, I tweak it.

Pray about where God wants you to be. He will lead you!
Polly

venusmom

Post by venusmom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Polly - big help to me....your family sounds a lot like mine. DD - 6 is doing MFW 1 and will be joining in with DS-10 - who I have decided will be doing HOD CTC. I also have an 18 yr old still at home (also have 3 older aged 20, 21 & 24). Thanks for the pointers...I may add Victor as well as it looks like I would enjoy it - & I may still do "English from the Roots Up" - but I'll wait to add that after I get a feel for CTC. Thanks so much, ash

blessedmom

Post by blessedmom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Just wanted to second what people have said. I have used MFW from K to CTG. Loved it until CTG. We only did about half of that year. It was hard to find books and the directions in the TM were a little vague to me. My oldest dd (10yr) did HOD CTC this year and loved it. It is definitely more directed and more clear on the notebooking. I feel like Carrie holds our hands through each day. The Bible in CTC was very good and I felt like there was more help there too. Using DITHOR really aides in character. For our family, we loved MFW in the younger years, but we have definitely switched to HOD. I have even switched my younger kids (8dd, 5dd, and 2ds). It is just easier to execute my days. I love the daily plans instead of the weekly plans. I liked the grid idea, but I would often miss what was in the notes because I forgot to turn the page :). With the daily plans, it's all there and I feel very well directed. Although she did learn a few times about the importance of following directions, my 10dd was able to follow so much of it on her own. That was very nice.

lisaha1

Post by lisaha1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:47 pm

LOL! I laugh bc I have often missed notes bc I forgot to turn the page too! LOL! Plus there were times I stopped reading mid sentence to look for notes bc I thought a seclular book had stuff in it that we should have notes to field through a sticky topic only to find no notes. I can talk my way out of these but it would have been nice to side step it or have a great comeback to read in the notes! That was my only issue really, I just want more dirrection in tieing in Christ during sticky areas of required books. How is HOD on this?