Introduction and Purchasing Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Silliness7

Introduction and Purchasing Question

Post by Silliness7 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Hello,
This is my very first post. I wanted to introduce myself. This is my 9th year homeschooling. I have 3 boys who are currently in the 8th, 7th, and 5th grades. I have 3 girls who are in 3rd and 1st grades and a 3yo who will be K-4 this fall. I also have a 2yo boy who keeps us hopping. :D

After years of cobbling together my own thing through a variety of curricula I am happy to stumble upon HOD. It looks perfect for our particular situation. I've been pouring over my catalog and website samples and have decided on the following choices...

Little Hands for my K-4 girl
Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade girl
CtC for my 4th and 6th graders
Rev to Rev w/extensions for my 8th grader
(My 9th grader will be doing a different packaged highschool)

I realize that might look like an insane amount of guides. It was the best I could do with all of the ages here.
My question regards purchasing. My budget is very, very tight. I'm going to have to purchase the first half of my resources this summer and then purchase the second half later in the fall.
Could someone tell me what I would need for the first 16 weeks in Bigger's Economy pack and Science add-on pack. Also for CtC's Economy pack and Science add-on pack. Also Rev to Rev's Economy pack (but NOT the Science add-on)

I already have all my R&S and math books. Yeah! I can get all of the readers including the extension books (except the CD and DVD) from the library. Obviously I will need the guides and the notebooks from HOD. I'm going to save DITHOR for a later purchase. But I will go ahead and get the writing suggestions for all 3 guides and just the Philippians 2 CD that we can all work on together. Also are the Les Mis CD's and American Testimony DVD's scheduled in the first or second half of Rev to Rev?

I hope this is O.K. to ask. I'm so excited about next school year with HOD and getting to know you all.

Thank you!!

holyhart

Re: Introduction and Purchasing Question

Post by holyhart » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Welcome Silliness! I'm sure that HOD will be a blessing to you! "You DO like children, dont you, Maria?? Yes, but SEVEN!!!" I'm hearing Maria VonTrapp in my head. :lol: I have a girlfriend with seven little blessings as well and I say it to her often. Sorry.

I will not be much help with the other ordering questions but, I can help you with Bigger. :D

During the first 16 weeks, you will need:

History:
A First Book in American History
Stories of Great Americans
Journeys in Time

Science:
One Small Square: Seashore
One Small Square: Woods
Science in Colonial America
John Audobon: Young Naturalist

Bible Study:
Little Pillows

You will also need a cursive option if you don't already have something.
HTH
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Welcome to the HoD boards, Silliness!

For the first 16 weeks of CTC, you will need:

Economy pack:
The Story of the Ancient World
Genesis Finding Our Roots
A Child's Geography II
What in the World I
Draw and Write Through History- just in the last week though
History Notebook pages

Science Add-on:
Land Animals of the Sixth Day
Birds of the Air
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

Silliness7

Post by Silliness7 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Thank you ladies. That is so helpful. I am making my shopping list.

Kelly, I often quoted from that scene when I was pregnant with #7. A Captain with 7 children. What's so fearsome about that? :mrgreen:
In Him,
Rebecca

2011-2012
ds 14 MFW AHL
ds 12 Rev2Rev
ds 11 CtC

dd 9 CtC
dd 7 BHFHG
dd 4 LHTH

ds 2 causing trouble

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:04 am

I like your name silliness7! :D Welcome to the HOD Board - we are so glad you are here! I used RTR this year (as well as LHTH and BHFHG), and what a fantastic year we had! :D We usually don't recommend jumping in with 4 HOD guides, but I can see that you are a veteran homeschooler who knows her dc so well. If you did want to get it down to 3 HOD guides, you could have your eighth grader do CTC with extensions. But, you will definitely know best here! :D I would be glad to help out with the titles you'd need for the first 16 weeks of RTR...

RTR's Economy Package:
RTR Teacher's Guide
RTR Student Notebooking pages
Peril and Peace
What in the World? Vol. 2
Hidden Treasures in Phil.
Phil. 1 CD
Looking at Pictures
World History Atlas
The Story of the Middle Ages
Famous Men of the Middle Ages
Map Trek CD
Monks and Mystics
Draw and Write Through History
Mystery of History (this begins in Unit 15, Day 2)

If you are doing the Shakespeare option, you'd need...
Tales of Shakespeare
Shakespeare Student Notebook pages

HTH! I thought I'd share the schedule I used this year, as you are doing similar guides, and we really enjoyed our days and found them to be very balanced, but feel free to just disregard this if it's not helpful:
Image Image

I'm excited for you to begin HOD! I think you'll find it to be such a blessing in your home - we certainly have. This board also is an inspiring place to meet with like-minded ladies - I think you'll fit right in! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Silliness7

Post by Silliness7 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Julie,
I love your schedule. That is exactly how my brain works and very similar to what I've got worked up...but I think I like yours better. I might have to copy that. :D
Thank you so much for attaching that!!

I know it would make so much more sense to put my 8th grader in CtC with my other older ones. However, I have decided to go with My Father's World for highschool and freshman year is ancient history, and from what I understand MFW's highschool program also builds on skills from the previous year so I don't feel free to jump around but to go straight as is. His content knowledge is weakest in American history too so I'm really excited for him to use Rev to Rev. He's a fairly solid student and he should be able to work mostly independently.

Thank you so much for the information regarding RtR. Is that the right abbreviation? That program won't be on my radar until Fall 2012. But I am definitely going to start keeping my eyes out for the resources that go with it at books sales and thrift stores. In fact, looking over the list again, I already own half of those books. We did Middle Ages this year. Maybe 2012 won't be as tight of a year as this one budget-wise. :mrgreen:

I'm still wondering what is scheduled the first half of Rev to Rev but thinking that since it's brand-new there might not be too many moms out there who own it yet.

Thanks again!!
In Him,
Rebecca

2011-2012
ds 14 MFW AHL
ds 12 Rev2Rev
ds 11 CtC

dd 9 CtC
dd 7 BHFHG
dd 4 LHTH

ds 2 causing trouble

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:17 pm

I wanted to make sure you know lots of folks are using the current guides for high school with some extensions and also wanted to make sure you knew HOD was going to continue making more guides all the way through high school! So, if you did combine your 8th grader in CTC, there will be plenty of guides to get through high school. There are even parents using CTC with their 9th graders and loving it! If things get really tight, that could certainly be a possibility to save some money :) All you'd need would be extensions. And if you find it too much for your 4th grader to join the 6th, Bigger with extensions could be a fabulous fit with the 2nd grader! (and you'd already have it!)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi silliness7 and welcome. :D I think I recognize your name from another board, but you probably don't know me because I'm pretty quiet. I saw your name, though, and thought I'd say "hi". We're planning on using HOD next year, too, for our first time and are very excited. I'm sure you'll have a great year.
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry! I misread your post and thought you were looking for the resources for RTR instead of RevtoRev! :oops: RevtoRev is not completed yet, though it is moving right along as scheduled. RevtoRev will be back from the printing company and shipped out in August, so that information isn't available as of yet. Once it is though, I would be glad to give you those instead, as I'll be ordering it and using it too. Sorry for the confusion - but it does seem like you have such a good plan coming together albeit the confusion I threw into it! :oops: Have a relaxing Sunday afternoon - Happy Easter! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:10 pm

I'll just pop-in to welcome you to the board! :D We're glad to have you here and pray that HOD may be a blessing to your family. We look forward to visiting with you more on your homeschool journey. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 pm

If you haven't purchased your hi'gh schooler's books yet, did you know Rev. to Rev. has extensions for high school? You could pair your 8th and 9th grader and be set to go for 4 years. Carrie is writing one guide a year. I just mention this because I know the struggles to get to everyone in a large family.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.