Reading Made Easy?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabrett

Reading Made Easy?

Post by Tabrett » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Do the Reading Made Easy CD's work on Mac's?

Do you need to use any other readers along with RME or is RME easy all you need as far as reading before you start The Emerging Reader Set? Maybe a better way to word the question; does RME have reading practice built into the book?

What do you think about the worksheets that come on the CD?

Would you use it with a 4 year old or wait till they are 5 after they complete LHTH?

Is it easy to use for remedial reading or if you are switching programs in the middle?

Is it complete? I saw a section listed in the index, from the sample at the website, that says "Additional Phonics Rules". Are all the rules taught or do you need an additional phonics program after you finish?

avbprincess

Re: Reading Made Easy?

Post by avbprincess » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I have no idea, as I haven't used RME, but I'll bump this for you and hopefully you'll get some answers soon. :D
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 17 - US2
HODers from the beginning

momofgreatones

Post by momofgreatones » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 am

Tabrett wrote:Do the Reading Made Easy CD's work on Mac's?

Do you need to use any other readers along with RME or is RME easy all you need as far as reading before you start The Emerging Reader Set? Maybe a better way to word the question; does RME have reading practice built into the book?

What do you think about the worksheets that come on the CD?

Would you use it with a 4 year old or wait till they are 5 after they complete LHTH?

Is it easy to use for remedial reading or if you are switching programs in the middle?

Is it complete? I saw a section listed in the index, from the sample at the website, that says "Additional Phonics Rules". Are all the rules taught or do you need an additional phonics program after you finish?
Sorry, I can't answer all of your questions as we are halfway through the book right now, but here is what I know.

You don't need any additional readers. Reading practice is built into the program, and the children are reading sentences that grow into longer passages and paragraphs, and stories, as the program progresses. The program also suggests reading a book of your choice to your child at the end of each lesson. You could use whatever readers you want for this purpose, however it is optional.

I would say it is very complete. I look at the end of the book and see what my child will be reading by the end and I am way impressed.

I would think you could use it for remediation or switching from another program just fine. Just start in the book where you think your child is at.

As far as age to start, the child needs to have a grasp on the alphabet and individual sounds each letter makes before you start. So basically what a child would know after completing LHTH. So whatever age that is, is the starting place.

I don't have the CD so I can't answer those questions.

Hope this helps.
Monique

dd 18 graduated!
dd 16 studying for CLEPs
dd 14 Studying for CLEPs
ds 12 CTC with extensions
ds 10 Bigger Hearts
dd 8 Bigger Hearts
dd 4 Little Hands to Heaven
dd 2 Little Hands to Heaven

rockhouse

Post by rockhouse » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 pm

I just finished RME with my dd earlier this year. Here are my opinions: I started RME with my daughter when she was 5 (officially kindergarten). I tried starting earlier with her (prek), but she was not ready to blend yet (very frustrating for me and her), so we shelved it until K. The CD didn't exist when we bought RME and I haven't missed a thing without it. My dd is reading on a 3rd grade level after finishing the book. However, I'm not sure if I will use it with my other dc for one reason: my dd does not know the phonics rules! In RME, they code the words so that children can read them, but books are not coded like RME, so for the longest time dd would come across a word in beginning readers and not know how to pronounce it (it wasn't coded). We started All About Spelling when we finised RME for the express purpose of learning phonics rules since they are not taught in RME. I guess if I knew the phonics rules myself I could have taught her as we went, but I learned to read using whole words, so I am learning phonics right along with her. :oops:

The list at the back of RME is some extra digraphs and blends that RME doesn't cover. The author suggets moving on to Learning Language Arts Through Literature Red book to learn the other phonics rules. I am considering using Phonics Pathways or The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading with my other dc just to fill in the gaps that RME has. This is my opinion. Did RME teach my dd to read? Yes. Is she a good reader? Yes. Would I use RME again? Maybe. Clear as mud, right? :D
Chelli
--wife to a preacher man since 2002
--mom to DD age 8 "Chipette" (Bigger)
--mom to DD age 4 "Magpie" (LHTH)
--mom to DS age 21 months "Monkey"

www.theplantedtrees.blogspot.com

Tabrett

Post by Tabrett » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:06 pm

rockhouse wrote: The list at the back of RME is some extra digraphs and blends that RME doesn't cover. The author suggets moving on to Learning Language Arts Through Literature Red book to learn the other phonics rules. I am considering using Phonics Pathways or The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading with my other dc just to fill in the gaps that RME has. This is my opinion. Did RME teach my dd to read? Yes. Is she a good reader? Yes. Would I use RME again? Maybe. Clear as mud, right? :D
I am looking for something with lesson plans that is fun and gentle with some written and hands on. I have Phonic Pathways and I don't like it because it doesn't have lesson plans. I am presently using CLE LTR, with my k'er at half speed, but I think it expects way too much. I do know phonics, so teaching the rules is not a biggie for me. My 7yo needs more repetition of the basic phonics and I am hoping the CD of worksheets will help reinforce the concepts. For my younger two, I guess I will have to wait and see if their reading takes off or if they are going to need reinforcement like my dd. Thanks!
momofgreatones wrote:
You don't need any additional readers. Reading practice is built into the program, and the children are reading sentences that grow into longer passages and paragraphs, and stories, as the program progresses. The program also suggests reading a book of your choice to your child at the end of each lesson. You could use whatever readers you want for this purpose, however it is optional.

I would say it is very complete. I look at the end of the book and see what my child will be reading by the end and I am way impressed.

I would think you could use it for remediation or switching from another program just fine. Just start in the book where you think your child is at.

As far as age to start, the child needs to have a grasp on the alphabet and individual sounds each letter makes before you start. So basically what a child would know after completing LHTH. So whatever age that is, is the starting place.
hope this helps.
Thanks you for letting me know they needed to know their letters first. That give me the green light to wait to teach reading till K.

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:51 pm

My daughter used RME for her kindergarten year (last year) and I also used the worksheets with the CD. I really liked using the worksheets b/c it reinforced what we were learning that day. We did worksheets every other day. She like them as well. I saw her confidence build as we used them. I did wonder how she would do after the "coding" of the words were not used anymore but they gradually fase them out. The last page they read a short story with no coding help. She had no problems. This year (1st grade) I went straight to Emerging readers and she has not had one bit of difficulty and is reading level 4 currently. I will definately use the program again. I dont know if this helps or not but this was my experience. :)