LHTH question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
andi1234

LHTH question

Post by andi1234 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 pm

I need help. My youngest daughter will be 5 in August. I also have another daughter that will be 7 in October. She will be doing Beyond in the Fall. I was considering doing LHFHG with the youngest, but I don't think she is ready for the history portion. I thought about doing LHTH and adding the Math, Handwriting, and maybe The Reading Lesson (basically the right side of LHFHG). Has anyone done this? If so, what do you do about storytime? I would like her to be able to do LHFHG for her first grade year. Help! :) Any ideas?

Thanks!

countrymom

Re: LHTH question

Post by countrymom » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 am

Yes, it could be done. I was actually considering some variation of that. I was going to not do the Burgess books for storytime and save them for Little Hearts 1st grade. I think my plan was to do a topic of the week with library books, maybe 2 or 3 days a week and just leave that box out the rest of the time. Then your 1st grade year you could do both sides of Little Hearts, continuing on with math (you may need to get the beyond guide for the activities depending on where you are at), using the 1st grade basic skills book, 1st grade handwriting, and storytime as is.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:45 am

You could just pick a different storytime set for the first year or do the Burgess set if she is ready for them and then do another set of books the next year for 1st grade. My son was an October baby and when he was turning 5 in October we started "K" and did it for 2 years. We did the Burgess books the first year b/c he was ready. the next year we read a Blinky Billy (a classic Australian kid story) and then some of the other Burgess books. My son is 7 now and we are using Beyond for 2nd 1st grade.
I don't know how your August 5yr old is but since she will be 5 she might or might not be ready for the books. Just depends on the kid. MY daughter, who was march baby and so started LHFHG at 5.5yrs old was ready then for the books ,but i know she wouldn't have been ready at 5 yrs old.
Have fun with HOD
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 am

We are doing this. For K, next fall, we'll finish LHTH, as well as do the right side of LHFHG with the K package (earlybird math & the R&S fine motor skills books) using Beatrix Potter, the Burgess bird books, and other classics from some CM booklists until we are ready for LHFHG. Then, we will do LHFHG as written & use it for first grade. HTH! :D
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:35 am

I am using LHTH for my 4 and 2 year old girls (dd 4 is a late September birthday and we will begin LHFHG in the fall). She wants more more more school, so we are doing the reading lesson, some primary readers, handwriting without tears preschool, and a ton of read-alouds. Our only math is in LHTH and the Mathmatical Reasoning prek book from the Critical Thinking Company, and talking about half, skep counting by 2, little stuff like that. Waiting for K to start Singapore.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:38 pm

andi1234 wrote:...I thought about doing LHTH and adding the Math, Handwriting, and maybe The Reading Lesson (basically the right side of LHFHG). Has anyone done this? If so, what do you do about storytime? I would like her to be able to do LHFHG for her first grade year. Help! :) Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sure! This would work well, and many moms have done this. You would be training your dd to do the Bible history and all of its follow-up activities from LHTH, as well as the 3 R's from LHFHG. I like this better than just doing the 3 R's from LHFHG, as it will give your dd excellent training for listening to LHFHG's history and responding to it through follow-up activities later. It gives a "mini-LHFHG" year. :D Plus, Bible history is a wonderful way to train our dc's hearts and minds right from the very beginning! :D As far as Storytime, Beyond has 3 Storytime sets, and you only use 1. So, if you used one during the LHFHG year, you could use one of the other 2 during the Beyond year. :) HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

andi1234

Post by andi1234 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Thank you Ladies! That is a great idea using one of the Beyond story time sets for LHFHG when we get there! I definitely have a peace about doing it this way, instead of LHFHG half-speed, which was another idea I was tossing around. I really appreciate all the ideas and help.

Have a great week!