I can't decide between History or Girl Interest -CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arstephia

I can't decide between History or Girl Interest -CTC

Post by arstephia » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm

I have many of the books from both the History interest and the Girl interest books. I can't decide which to use for CTC so that I can get the remaining books for my dd (will be 11, 6th grade) next year. Is the guide set up so I can pick from either as we progress through the guide? We are currently using Preparing, so I haven't had to make such difficult decisions. :lol: However, with Preparing she is reading the regular books as well as the extension package books. She is doing fine with both lists, but was it intended to be one or the other? Or are extensions supposed to be additional books?
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

seekhimfirst

Re: I can't decide between History or Girl Interest -CTC

Post by seekhimfirst » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 am

We are new to CTC so I thought I would share what we are doing since you haven't gotten a response yet. I'm sure someone with more wisdom will answer soon!

In the catalog it says that "6th and 7th graders should listen to the History Interest set read aloud, or read the Extension books (as scheduled in the appendix), or do both in order to extend their learning." ETA:this is for CTC in the catalog

We started this month with my almost 11 yo mid-way through 5th grade and I chose the History Interest set because I wanted him to read more about the time period we are studying. As time allows and as I can find the extension books at our library we plan to do those as well, I may push it more in the last half of CTC when he will be 6th grade. I would assume you could also use one of the other sets for DITHOR but I'm not certain. I'll dig into that more when we are able to get that.

Hope this helps a little! By the way, we have LOVED the History Interest and Extension books we are reading so far!! :D
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing it is from the Lord you will receive the reward of inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Col 3:23-24

11yo CTC
7yo Bigger
5yo LHFHG

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:42 pm

You can pick from either. I have a girl and a boy doing bigger. We had 3 options and I picked from all 3. Didn't get the discount, but I got the books I thought each of the kids would enjoy.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

You can choose from any of the sets, and it works. :D We enjoyed history set soooo much, so I'm biased I'm sure. But it really made the history come to life even more. I liked the continuity of it all. :D But yes, any of the choices will work. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Steph,

If you're still really stuck on deciding, you could always do the History Interest Set and then do the Girl Interest Set later with DITHR (as the Girl Set books are pretty much in the upper 5th to 8th grade reading level... you can see the reading levels on the website by each book). The reason I lean toward choosing one set of books as a read-aloud and the other set for DITHR is that it's easier for ME to keep track of what I should be reading when. Plus, the History Set is all scheduled by page number in the guide daily, which I see as a bonus. :wink: Just a thought, as you really can't go wrong no matter what you decide. :wink: They're all truly great books.

Blessings,
Carrie