Beyond- Curds and Whey??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3smoches

Beyond- Curds and Whey??

Post by 3smoches » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Okay, I am on week 15 and we tried to make curds and whey but I might have used too much milk. Does anyone have advice for me?? It just ended up looking like thick stinky milk :lol: By the way, the day before, we made ice-cream in 5 min!!!! That was awesome... we are putting that idea away for a camping trip or something :D

creativemommy

Re: Beyond- Curds and Whey??

Post by creativemommy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't have advice for you, but curious as to what others will say as we'll be in that unit in a few weeks. :)
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't remember if it says to warm the milk, but I remember warming the milk and that helped. :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:46 pm

We are on the same unit this week and tried it twice. Both times it was a flop. :( Once was with more milk, and the second time I measure exactly 2/3 c. Anyway, I had some extra cream in the fridge, so tomorrow we're going to try making butter. It was my ds' idea.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:30 pm

We did this last week. All I had on hand was powdered skim milk. We mixed everything and let it sit for a lot longer than the recommended 5 mins. It probably sat there for a good 2 hours. :D We had small curds, but I thought if my milk had been more fatty they would have been larger.
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Hmmm... I am sure one of my problems was that I had skim milk. I will try warming it. John'smom, if your butter turns out, I would love to hear about it. Thanks guys!

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 pm

The curds and whey did not work for us either, but we loved the ice cream.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am

The curds and whey didn't work here either. I tried it twice and finally just gave up. :(

Joselle173

Post by Joselle173 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:45 am

We had the same problem - didn't do much but make it thicker; however, it was 2% milk and at the time I wondered if whole milk or even cream would've been better.
Cheryl & Kids

DS10 & DD7
2011-2012 - Bigger (w/Extensions for DS10)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:39 am

when you make this cheese the curds are pretty small think ricotta cheese. Having the milk under the boiling point (very warm) and slow gentle movements in the pot. If it is stirred to much they don't form well. Also adding more acid can help... so if it looked thick and stringy you are on the right track. letting it sit also helps coagulate it.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:04 pm

Hillbillyhousewife uses powdered milk. Alton Brown uses skim then adds cream, I think. Try Googling. Homemade curds and whey does work. Makes yummy ricotta or cottage cheese (add cream or yogurt at the end). I don't know about posting links here, let Google be your friend. :wink:
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Ladies,

We do get this one to work here, but it makes a huge difference how fatty your milk is. So, if you're using skim milk, it likely won't work. We have gotten very small curds with 1 % milk, but 2% or whole milk works better. :D You almost have to scrape the curds off the paper towel to see them, and they are definitely more like ricotta cheese. This recipe is only making a very small amount to show kiddos the process behind making curds and separating them from the whey. Hope that helps! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks Carrie! I figured it was my skim milk :) I was so glad to actually find out what Curds and Whey was... all I knew was that Little Miss Muffet ate it, but didnt exactly know what it was :lol: We will definately give it another try!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 pm

We used 2%, and it made small curds that my ds loved to add salt to and eat! :D The curds were quite small, but still, curds they were. :D I imagine they'd be bigger with whole milk. That actually is a good lesson too - that the amount of fat in the milk determines the amount or size of the curds. I always go for the "teachable moment" on the rare occasion something doesn't turn out quite right. I figure that mimics real life anyway. After all, Ford needed to get to the Model T before he finally got it right. Prototypes "A" through "S", well, they were no curds to small curds before he figured out how to make the big curds, right?!? :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 pm

:? , we used 2% milk. Since we weren't successful, like I said my ds suggested that we make butter. Love that he thought of it on his own. Anyway, 3 smoches, we did make butter today and you can see it here.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM