Handwriting in Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Handwriting in Beyond?

Post by krazzymommy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:40 pm

I noticed that on the LHFHG website page that there were two handwriting books to choose from, is there any handwriting options included in Beyond? Is it covered in a different way? Or do we provide our own?

Thanks!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

cirons

Re: Handwriting in Beyond?

Post by cirons » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi there,

In Beyond there is copywork in the LA section for poetry. I felt my son needed further handwriting instruction before Bigger so I don't do the copywork and I continue to use the Getty and Dubay series, about 1/2 page per day for him. You could do both if you wanted to but my son is not keen on writing so the handwriting book is enough, plus the bits and bobs throughout the other subjects which he may have to write.
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Thank you!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:32 pm

With my oldest ds I used Getty-Dubay and did not use formal handwriting in Beyond. Hind sight being 20/20: He would have had great benefit using another year of formal handwriting also due to his extreme gross motor orientation and his age at the time (6).
Now with ds #2, I am using ARFH-K and he is loving it and doing very well. More fine motor skill oriented, but I am planning on still doing ARFH-A when we are done. We are doing LHFHG at half pace, but I do his fine motor skills full pace so we can do both K and 1st grade options hopefully before we get to Beyond. :D
I have realized in everything that it takes some adjustments from the firstborn or first child you homeschool to the next. My ability to adapt the program and individualize to the skill of the children has grown. This is the main reason I so appreciate this HOD-board Carrie and Julie have and all the other Mom's who comment and help us learn from their ideas and experience! :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:13 pm

You've had such good answers here already! We too felt one more year of handwriting would be good for our sons. We did ARFH K during LHFHG, and ARFH A during Beyond. I did want to mention that as soon as dc are able, it is important to do copywork, as it encourages not only proper formation of letters but also growth in the areas of spelling and writing for meaning. Even dc who are not as proficient at writing can write one line of poetry copywork a day, and then gradually increase the length of what they write. This experience with copywork is so very helpful to beginning Bigger Hearts for His Glory the following year, as the writing increases then. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie