Have you seen HOD carryover to...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Have you seen HOD carryover to...

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:22 pm

...other areas of life when you least expect it? Today, my dc burst forth into song at church during "Holy, Holy, Holy..." and "Amazing Grace". They grinned at each other, both knew the words well. Talk about retention, my oldest ds learned those hymns 3 years ago when he did BHFHG. He still knew them and loved them. :D

They narrated the church sermon on the way home. We didn't call it a narration, but that's what it was. :D I had to laugh when my dh interjected and said, "You don't have to retell the whole sermon!" I told him that retelling all you know about something you've heard/read is one of the big things we are working on in school. "Oh - well then - carry on!" he said with a grin. :lol:

Also, last week at lunch, we went out with the cousins and the 5 older boys' conversation was interesting. They were all in a booth behind us, and we could hear them quizzing each other about famous men in history, retelling their favorite stories (usually of generals in wars, or of outdoorsmen settling the wild wilderness :lol: ). I had to laugh when they said they were quizzing the younger ones on later history - they hadn't had much of it yet - but they knew some of the answers just from doing LHFHG.

The other night, my oldest ds was reading through all of his hi-lighted verses in his Bible. They were all verses he's learned in HOD. It was just neat to see. :)

Just had to share! :D Are you seeing carryover from HOD naturally happen in your kiddos' lives too?
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mommamo

Re: Have you seen HOD carryover to...

Post by Mommamo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Mine are still really, really young, but they will say their LHTH rhymes when I least expect it. It's the sweetest thing. At church if they hear a Bible story they already know from LHTH, they'll tell the whole class about it!

My oldest is in Beyond, and she's doing the hymn study right now. All 3 of the kids will randomly burst out in hymn which is so lovely to me since our church is an outreach church and they don't really sing the older songs that I grew up singing and love so much. There is nothing like hearing a 2 yo sing "Holy, Holy, Holy!"

They talk about all the books we've read in storytime, just random times throughout our days. They talk about people like Phyllis Wheatley as if they're old friends. (All 3 children do, since we include the little ones in whatever part of our school day they choose to involve themselves in. :lol: )

The kids tell people about HOD wherever we are and just assume everyone know it and loves it like they do. I think it's so precious!

I know that there's more, but that's all that comes to mind right now. Great thread, Julie!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my4sugars

Post by my4sugars » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm

I know there are many examples I could share as we are in our 3rd year of HOD. But what I'm thinking of now stems from the music that we have learned. My 3 year old has finished Day 1 of Unit 1 in LHTH and he is already running thru the house singing "God Made the Universe". And as my oldest ds, age 10, and I have some nice discussions during Bible in Preparing, he is quoting scriptures that he learned in Beyond 2 years ago. And the knowledge of the Word that my children are gaining is amazing their teachers in church. So, I am seeing HOD carryover in so many areas that I cannot share them all. It is more like a lifestyle for my children than a curriculum. =)
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm

My oldest son's knowledge of the Bible never ceases to amaze me. I know that he has learned so much of it from HOD!

The other day, I was telling my younger ds about why it was important that Jesus asked a woman for water at the well. I said, "The woman was from a different...um...tribe than Jesus" and Bryce interjected, "She was a Samaritan woman, mom, and the Jews thought the Samaritans were unclean and therefore, didn't associate with them back then." My mouth dropped open because he remembered such DETAIL!

He also was talking to me about Genesis the other day during our time with that study and I read a passage about Jesus crushing the head of the serpent and bruising his foot and my 11 year old was able to explain how, metaphorically, that played out.

Overall, he knows more Bible at 11 than I knew at 30!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:48 pm

That is so neat Julie that they were narrating the sermon! :lol: I bet there were a lot of adults who couldn't even give a decent summary.

My dc go around singing our hymns all the time. I find myself doing it also. :) Like others have said, I think it becomes a more of a lifestyle than a curriculum. I often times hear them playing by acting out our history stories. They amaze me at how much detail they retain. Just the other day, they were acting out the pilgrim story and I heard them say how the pilgrims were just starting out in their two ships, the Mayflower and the Speedwell. That was over a year ago that we studied that! It's amazing how much they learn and retain!

I think my very favorite way that it spills over into everyday life is how the wonderful scripture and character lessons that they are learning shine through everyday. That is priceless and eternal! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

ALB

Post by ALB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 am

Just a small thing from LHTH:
We live overseas and have virtually NO English anywhere around us as far as signs, food products, etc. go. Some apartment blocks do have a letter for the address, and as we walked down a street yesterday, my ds 2.5 shouted "There's an A-A-Adam!". He jumped up and down and was so excited to see something he recognized. I was happy, too, since I sometimes wonder if my kids are "missing out" literacy wise by not being surrounded by letters and words.
Living in Asia and enjoying the journey with dh of 9 years!
DD (almost 5) soon to start LHFHG, DS 3 enjoying LHTH.

mrskturner

Post by mrskturner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:52 am

ALB wrote:Just a small thing from LHTH:
We live overseas and have virtually NO English anywhere around us as far as signs, food products, etc. go. Some apartment blocks do have a letter for the address, and as we walked down a street yesterday, my ds 2.5 shouted "There's an A-A-Adam!". He jumped up and down and was so excited to see something he recognized. I was happy, too, since I sometimes wonder if my kids are "missing out" literacy wise by not being surrounded by letters and words.

That is sooo cute! My 2.5 year old loves to point out A and always follows it up with A-A-Adam too. I love it!
Kirsten
Aly - age 10 (dyslexia)- BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Jackson - age 7 (mild dyslexia and adhd) - BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Grayson - age 2 - LHTH

http://keyschristianacademy.blogspot.com/

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:13 am

My oldest's Bible school teacher at church thinks that he is so smart due to HOD. We memorize scripture as a family for family worship using a memory verse system I got off of a homeschooling website somewhere :? , and when we did our new memory verse for the week yesterday I thought our oldest said it so well for the first time. Finally I asked him, did you learn that in Little Heart (mommy can't remember anything anymore)? Yes, he did. Definitely a blessing to have a curriculum that is so spiritual!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

acts29stl

Post by acts29stl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 pm

What a fun post! Thanks Julie :D

My example just happened today. I was nursing the baby when my dc8 came in and said, "Look mom, I made up my own dictation passage!" He had a huge smile on his face as he held the white board for me to see. Sure enough, he had written a 4 sentence dictation passage, complete with 3 vocab words listed on the bottom :lol: He said tomorrow he's going to make up another one after he does his "real dictation" :D But what is really amazing is that this comes from the child who says dictation is his least favorite subject!!! All I could do was smile :D :D :D

Another one of my favorite times is when a Scripture is being read or quoted in church that happens to be one the dc have memorized. My friend's dc and mine look at each other with the biggest smiles and then look at their moms and mouth, "We know this verse!" The excitement on their faces and joy in their hearts is priceless!! The child-like faith always reminds me that I, too, should be just as excited about knowing God and His ways.

Of course, there's the countless times that the dc play make-believe about the various history lessons and time periods. Daniel Boone is definately a favorite and my dd loves to pretend to be an Indian girl with a basket on her head when asked to help with the laundry. Anything to make a chore a cheerful project :lol:

I think A is fovever going to be A-A-Adam!!!!
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

mrskturner

Post by mrskturner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:15 pm

I absolutely love reading out loud to my children. When I bought Bigger I bought the classic book set, the boys interest set, and the girl's interest set. We started with a book from the classic set for our biography ( Ben and Me), we are reading a book from the boy's set for our Adventure story now (Snow Treasure). I like being able to just pick and choose which book we feel like reading for each genre. But even with all the reading we are doing during the day for school, my kids still want to read to at night. So I have found some other books on the DITHOR list at used book stores and this is our selection of bed time reading. I am reading Sword in the Tree with my son at night before bed and A Little Princess with my daughter. I adore this individual time with each of my children every night while daddy takes care of our little wild Indian (aka Grayson).

Tonight after I read with our daughter she begged me to join in for story time with her brother. She said he told her that the book I was reading to him was "way better than whatever I was reading with her". LOL I told her we were pretty far into the book already and it was my special time with just Jack. Jack overheard this and said " It's okay momma, I can narrate what we have read so far to her." WOW! Music to my ears. He gave her a perfect narration of what we had read to catch her up and invited her to join us tonight. Both my kids got so into the book tonight that we almost finished the rest of the book and my throat is seriously hurting!! I am overjoyed at Jack sharing his mommy time with his sister and doing an amazing job on narrating. And if that wasn't enough to warm my heart for the night, my daughter who has severe dyslexia, piped up with a word she recognized from poetry. One of our poems had the word "haze" meaning a fog or mist on the horizon, and they were talking in The Sword in the Tree about a mist over the field and she said "momma, they are talking about haze." I know this may not seem like a big deal, but for her, it was a huge deal!!!
Last edited by mrskturner on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirsten
Aly - age 10 (dyslexia)- BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Jackson - age 7 (mild dyslexia and adhd) - BHFHG w/ Apologia Zoology 2
Grayson - age 2 - LHTH

http://keyschristianacademy.blogspot.com/

my4sugars

Post by my4sugars » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I have already shared in this thread, but I was reminded about something that happened just last week. My twin dds were outside playing. I went outside to check on them, b/c it had gotten very quiet. When I gave a shout out, one of my dds came around the corner of the house with a sand bucket. She informed me they were being "Hollanders". They had tried carving wooden shoes out of wood, and now they were putting together the "stuff" in their buckets to wash their houses with. I wasn't thrilled that it was mud they were using, but it delighted me they had found a worthy subject to role-play. It amazed me, too, b/c we have been doing Beyond half-speed for 1st and 2nd grade, and it was last year that we learned about the Dutch customs. It was something they remembered and processed down to some fine details. Very proud moment for Mama, albeit a messy one with the mud and all. :roll:
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth

amarie

Post by amarie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:29 pm

My 3 year old is very very busy, but I have been so surprised and delighted when he starts talking about the things hears me teach my older son, particularly the Bible verses and poems. LOL, actually, one day I was trying to see if my older son (in Beyond) could guess the title of a new poem we were learning that week...and my 3 year old started reciting the previous week's poem. Thats one of the main reasons we chose HOD, because we felt that our little guy could be included and tag along for many of the activities.

Today they were shooting panthers from their make believe RV...a spin off from Little House in the Big Woods. :wink:

I've also been thankful and surprised at how much the Lord has used the Bible verses and Morning Bells devotional to work on my own heart...sometimes when I sit down to read the devotional to the kids it speaks directly to my heart.

Amy

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 pm

My dd has done very well learning her verses in Little Hearts. Recently she heard someone use the verse, "Let the little children come....." and got excited and commented that she knew the verse. Also, she and her sister were out raking leaves today and had a pile as tall as her. When I was commenting on the huge pile of leaves, she said she was making tunnels. I know that she was thinking of the story of Danny Meadow Mouse tunneling through the snow, which we read today. So, she will randomly think about something she learned in HOD and incorporate it into her singing, playing, etc. I will continue to hold HOD high for the wonderful lessons it is teaching my dd. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Hubby wanted to let me have some down time last night so he popped in a Liberty kids DVD as he headed off for the gym.. Course he picked the one that talks all about Ben Franklins Inventions... So every 5 min DD1 or DD2 was popping their head in my Room telling me the video is just like school.. Mom they know about this invention.. Mom Mom Mom... The best laid plans of Mice and Men. I decided it wasn't worth taking a bath I'd get no privacy. But the kids were so excited they knew all about Ben.. So even tho I lost my "me" time it was worth it :-)

they also have a new game called robot where they blindfold one person and you have to make them walk and do things in tiny little steps... Very popular of late.. (science experiment)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:05 am

This thread has been such fun to read! :D Thank you all for taking time to share. It is neat to see how homeschooling can spill over into everyday life in such good ways with HOD. What a blessing! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie