Handwriting help.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MistyP

Handwriting help.....

Post by MistyP » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:31 pm

My 6 yo doesn't have the nicest of handwriting, she likes to go fast! :D Sometimes she even get letters (frequently numbers) backwards. I tried starting A Reason for Handwriting A with her. She really struggled with it saying she had a hard time writing big. So, I started writing out her copywork from Beyond in her lined notebook and then having her copy it on the next line.

Any suggestions, ideas??? Keep up what we are doing or use a different handwriting book with small lines?? I believe good penmanship is important. Just not sure what to expect from a 1st grader.

Thanks!!
Misty
Misty
Mommy to 6!

HollyS

Re: Handwriting help.....

Post by HollyS » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:36 pm

I have a 3rd grader and 1st grader. I have to write out the line for my DS (5) to copy, but my DD(8) is able to copy it directly from the typed copy. My DS can also copy it from the photocopy, but he does 100 times better when he copies it right below my printing...so I'm writing it out for now. :) We're using 1/2" paper and it seems to be a nice size for both. As far as flipping letters, they seem to do it less as they get older. My DD rarely flips them, and usually she spots it right away. My DS flips them quite a bit...especially his numbers!

It sounds to me like your DD is right on track!
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:35 pm

I was just going to ask the same question. I have a 6 year old girl who also flips letters and numbers. I was worried that maybe I needed to do extra work with her to get it right. I am interested in what the others have to say. I am glad to see that I am not the only one struggling with this. My dd does not like copywork and also rushes thru it. I recently have told her that she has to copy at least 2 lines. If they meet my expectations she can stop, but if it is sloppy or crunched together, she has to do another line. She takes her time then and makes sure she gets it right. I use regular notebook paper for her and she seems to do fine with it. It seems some days are better than others.

Thanks for asking this question :)

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:52 pm

MY 3rd grader has been known to have the worst handwriting in the free world, but I found a mead handwriting notebook for this year and she is writing beautifully. I am very pleased with how she has improved. I bought hers at Wal-Mart, but here is an amazon link below to show you what it looks like. My dh has even commented on her improvement!

http://www.amazon.com/Mead-RediSpace-Tr ... B00290FKOU
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm

I took Holly S' advice and had my dd copy her poetry below the lines I wrote for her today. She did so much better. I think it also took the frustration level out of copywork b/c she didnt get lost in the text looking back and forth between paper and book, and therefor finished the task much quicker. I love any advice that will douse the flames of frustration! :) Thank you...