How do you do watercolor anyway?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Michelle

How do you do watercolor anyway?

Post by Michelle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

Well, today in CTC with my ds we had to do our first part of a watercolor picture. But, before much more is said, I must confess that I read directions VERY carefully and literally. :oops: The directions said to load our brush with yellow paint and paint the top of the paper and then add water and paint just below that and on and on adding more water each time. He ended up using a lot of yellow paint. Now for my dumb question. :oops: Should we have wet our brush before adding the yellow paint to begin with? Are you supposed to mix the paint with water first? We're using the tubes of paint. We put the paint on the brush dry because the directions didn't tell us to wet the brush or use any water before that step. Really could use some watercoloring tips before we do any more and possibly waste too much paint!

Thanks everyone! :)
Michelle
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

momtofive

Re: How do you do watercolor anyway?

Post by momtofive » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:01 pm

It's kind of funny, because we did the very same thing!!! :oops: :oops:

It's not really very funny, because I feel like we wasted a lot of paint. We came to the conclusion that you HAVE to add water to the paints before using them! :wink: We ended up finding out that a dropper worked great for adding water to the paint in the paint palette. We then just used our brush to mix it up nice, and load our brush. This made the paint glide onto the paper effortlessly and we only used a small drop of paint! Don't feel bad, I did it the same way you're explaining and our paintings have turned out great!

We are actually switching from CTC to Preparing, because this is our first year using HOD and it is an adjustment for my son. He is a very young fifth grader (he's 9) and, I believe, will benefit greatly from starting out with Preparing. So we've done the first 3 units of CTC. I just thought I'd add this in case you read my signature and wondered why we were doing CTC paintings, when the programs listed are PHFHG, BLHFHG and LHTH! :D

Blessings as you complete the rest of your paintings! :wink:

In Christ,

Lisa

Edited spelling errors! :oops:

Marcee

Post by Marcee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 pm

You do need to wet your brush first to water color. It will then thin out the paint to make it more sheer. Your brush does not need to be soaking wet. I suggest putting it in water and then blotting it on a paper towel before you pick up paint with it. HTH:) Are you using water color paper?
Last edited by Marcee on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:00 pm

This question comes up every year!
here is a few you tube vids
gives good advice on what to buy for a beginner and shows you the wash technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-j-AfJ ... re=related

this vid shows how to apply a sky and add water to make the sky lighter there are 3 techniques in this vid and the one described in your post is most like the middle one at minute 4 or so ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Ys6oo8H_k&NR=1

Hope that helps :-)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:10 pm

:D I was having some of the same questions! I found these links helpful http://www.watercolorpainting.com/water ... edwash.htm and http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-lesso ... ideos.html
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:22 am

Well, we did it wrong, and I had no idea until 20 seconds ago :mrgreen: .

I'm literal too, and since it didn't say start with water...we didn't. However, it did work out okay once we went back and started adding water to it.

Alison

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks, everyone! Now I don't feel so bad! :oops: He added the tree today and it looks great! Guess we're all learning!
God bless,
Michelle :D
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Ladies,

I just wanted to mention that we include important directions for watercolor painting in the Introduction of CTC, which are a great help to go over with your student prior to the lessons. I'll paste the portion below that I'm referring to from the Introduction of the guide. This is what it says in the CTC guide's Introduction: :D

Go over the following helpful notes with students prior to doing the painting lessons for poetry:
Use one water container for mixing washes and one for clear water to rinse brushes. When painting, first wet the brush to prepare it for the color. Then, load the brush with paint moving it back and forth across the surface of the paint in the pan. Do not dig into the paint. Use either the plastic lid of the paints or the mixing surface on the palette to mix the paint. Then, apply it to watercolor paper. If the paints in the wells get muddy colored, dip the brush into clean water and dip the brush tip in the paint well to lift out the muddy part of the color. Or, use a pointed bit of paper towel to lift out the muddy color. Do not stand brushes on their tips or store them in water overnight. When done painting for the day, wipe clean the mixing part of the palette and place the lid over the paints. Clean brushes in cool water, gentle tapping or flicking off the excess water. Then, dry with a soft cloth or paper towel. Store brushes bristle side up if possible, or in a brush box.

Needed paint supplies include the following items:
*2 unbreakable water containers (plastic margarine containers would be fine)
*white plastic palette with wells for paint, a mixing surface, and if possible a lid (rectangular palettes with a large mixing surface in the center work well)
*watercolor paper (140 lb. cold press paper is recommended)
*2 different-sized round watercolor brushes (#5 and #8 red sable brushes are recommended, however you may use different numbered brushes or types)
*2 different-sized flat watercolor brushes (1/2” and 1” Loew Cornell brushes are recommended, however you may use different sized brushes and types)
*2 cellulose sponges (those in the house-cleaning or automotive section work well, as long as they have pores for stamping paint on paper)
*toothpicks
*paper towels
*dropper
*masking tape
*watercolor paints: Either choose tube paints or moist cakes/pans. Moist cakes/pans are often used by beginning watercolorists. Choose either student grade or
artist grade paints. If finances allow, artist grade paints are better, but student grade paints are acceptable.

The following paint colors will either need to be purchased or mixed from other paint colors to complete the lessons. If you are buying paints within a set, use the
general color list below. If you prefer to purchase individual colors, rather than a set, some suggestions for specific shades are listed behind each color, however
these specific shades are not required.
Yellow (Cadmium Yellow Light)
Red (Alizarin Crimson or Cadmium Red Medium)
Blue (Cerulean Blue or Ultramarine Blue)
Pink or Rose (Permanent Rose)
Light Blue (Sky Blue or Cobalt Teal Blue)
Green (Hooker’s Green Dark)
Light Green (Phthalo Green)
Orange (Cadmium Yellow Medium or Cadmium Orange)
Purple (Ultramarine Violet or Quinacridone Violet)
Brown (Burnt Umber)
Gray (Payne’s Gray)
White
Black
Tan or Peach (Raw Sienna)
Note: Miller Pads and Paper at http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com or by phone: (608)-375-2181 has excellent pricing on paint supplies, or you may shop at your
local craft store.

We don't intend for you to have to go searching other places for ways to do the painting correctly, so make sure to read your Introduction for important tips and helps.

Blessings,
Carrie