Reading/phonics help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mycobabe

Reading/phonics help

Post by mycobabe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:55 am

We just starting using Beyond Little Hearts for his Glory and absolutely LOVE IT!! I have 2 boys ages 6 and 8. My 6 year old absolutely LOVES to read and is capable of reading words that he has not even learned, yet. I mean words that even my 8 yo struggles with. The recommended reading options are too basic for him yet he is not ready for something like Preparing to Build: English 2 which my 8 year old is using. I used Explode the Code with him last year which was fine, but I want something a little more. What are other recommendations?

Thanks so much!
Amy

GinainMD

Re: Reading/phonics help

Post by GinainMD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:23 am

Has he completed a phonics program? If he has, do you have the emerginging readers? After the emerginging readers, you would use Drawn into the Heart of Reading. DITHOR works with a variety of reading levels. hth
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

mycobabe

Post by mycobabe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:33 am

No, he has not completed the phonics program.

Amy

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 am

Hi Amy. I would probably finish whatever phonics program he is using. How is his spelling? If his spelling needs improvement you may want to continue phonics instruction so that he learns to 'encode' words correctly even if he is a fluent reader. If you feel that he doesn't need anymore phonics instruction, than I'd move onto the Emerging Readers. You could always start in the middle of the ERs if the beginning ones are too easy and then just move onto DITHOR whenever he is finished with them. Also, I think that the Beyond guide has some alternative ER suggestions as well. What type of books has he read already?
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

mycobabe

Post by mycobabe » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:45 am

You are right. I will just continue on with Explode the Code and use the ER list, too. He has already read some of the ER books, i.e. Frog and Toad and Owl at Home. He has read all the Henry and Mudge books, books by Laura Numeroff (If you give a Mouse a Cookie), Dr. Seuss, Curious George, Pup and Hound series, Corduroy, etc. I have taught him the 5 finger rule so when we go to the library he knows which books are "just right" for him. It is not unusual for us to leave with 20 books or more.

Thanks you so much for your help. I was fearing that something was lacking, but it sounds like I just need to keep doing what I've been doing.

Blessings!
Amy

mommadonna

Post by mommadonna » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 pm

ok, so I may be clueless, but what is the 5 finger rule?
Donna
ds7 Beyond
dd4 listening in, consuming workbooks, TRL and some of LHFHG
ds2 making us all laugh and eating erasers

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm

I was wondering too Donna, so I googled it. Here's a link. :D http://www.booknutsreadingclub.com/fivefingertest.html
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

mycobabe

Post by mycobabe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:59 am

Yes, the 5 finger rule it great! It gives our kids the freedom to choose their own books. I believe that is why my boys love to read so much. I have learned quickly which genre they enjoy most. :D

Have a blessed day!
Amy