what do i need for two students to do ctc for grade 9?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
beverett

what do i need for two students to do ctc for grade 9?

Post by beverett » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I really have a two part question....
1) I am going to be teaching two ninth graders in ctc... I was wandering if someone who is doing or going to do ctc for highschool can help me out????? I have everything picked out, I just need to know if I should order the basic package or not??? I have already picked books to add to the economy pkg. to make the history and literature highschool worthy. Just not sure if i should go ahead and get basic pkg???
2) Also, I was trying to find out if there are any consumables that i would need to order two of or any books that you would reccomend having two on hand???

I plan on using:

ctc economy pkg
up history reading w/ selected books
dithor 6/7/8 w/ student book
up literature reading
write with the best vol. 1 and 2
science not sure yet if i will use and beef up or something else
rod and staff english 7
algebra
phillipians cd
illustrated family bible

thanks for any help!!!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

gotpeace91

Re: what do i need for two students to do ctc for grade 9?

Post by gotpeace91 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:37 pm

For my two I bought two of the student notebooks for History. They each have their own English book but that's because they are on different levels. They will each need their own student book in DITHR. Have you looked at the placement chart yet? If they are in English 7, they may be advanced enough for RTR.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Just wanted to say "hi" from a fellow CTC user this year! :) We're using it with our 8th grade dd, and plan to use RTR next year for 9th. It will be fun to share our high school HOD journeys together. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

beverett

Post by beverett » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Thank you so much and we are super excited!!! You all are so sweet! We are new to hod, soooo wish i had found it sooner!! Anyway... yes I have checked out the placement charts. Since this is our 1st year with hod and my son wll be starting highschool i thought that it would be perfect to do the four year history cycle from the beginning and finish up at grade 12. I will also be schooling my best friends daughter who is the exact same age... this will be very fun i think!!!! So it looks like i do need to get 2 student notebook pages and 2 dithor student books (which i was not sure of- thank you). Is anything else consumable?
Brandi
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Those were the only two I could think of that are consumable. Someone else may catch something that I didn't. They each have their own notebooks of lined paper ( .15 cents each right now at Wal-mart) for English, Geography, Genesis, Spelling dictation, and Write w/ the Best. They each have their own 3 ring binder for the History notebook pages and one with page protectors in it for Science. I bought some lined loose leaf paper for the days in science when they answer questions. I also got them a nicer composition book for their Common Place Book. I still need to get their blank journals for the Nature Journal. HTH :)
~Leah

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:15 pm

You know what, now that I really think about it, I don't think they need a Common Place Book this year. It looks like their copywork is done in the student notebook pages. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
~Leah

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 am

I'll be doing CTC with a fifth grader this year. He'll be the only one, but I have four younger children that will eventually be using this program, so keeping an eye out for what is consumable is important. Most of HOD is non-consumable, and the things that are consumable are usually very economical, if you needed to buy them again. :wink: That said, pretty much everything you need to know about what you'll need for CTC is in the introduction of the guide: http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/CTC-Introduction.pdf.

Obviously, you'll need two packs of student notebook pages, however, I did notice that Jashub's Journal is consumable. It is one of the books scheduled to be a read-aloud in the Option 1: History Interest Set. It does look like you could probably just do the questions orally if you desired to. Not to disagree with a pp, but I believe you do need a Common Place Book. In the introduction, it mentions the Common Place Book under the Bible Quiet Time section. It will be a "common place" to keep "anything that is timeless, memorable or worthy of rereading". You could probably use a composition notebook for this.

As far as if you should order the Basic Package or not, the catalog suggests that students "6th and 7th graders" (and up, if your using it for older ones) "should either listen to the History Interest set read-alouds or read the Extention Package books".

Otherwise, I think that's pretty much it. I'll pop in later and add more if I think of something else! :D

I hope this could be of some help! :D

In Christ,

Lisa

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:30 am

I am doing CTC this year for the second time with three. Not on the high school level but using it all. The only thing I bought extras was the notebook. We used Jashub's Journal as a non consumable writing in a notebook and it worked fine last year. I tend not to buy extras though with multiple children whenever possible. So others for convenience may prefer to have duplicates of some books. It works fine with us though to have three using the same books. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

beverett

Post by beverett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:39 pm

That is all so helpful! Thank you all. I think that my friend and i have decided that it would be best for the girl to have her own set of books so she will order the package for her daughter, then we wont have to worry about sharing books or anything like that. I also have 3 other children of my own that are school age this year and a 1 year old baby... so the easier the better!

And I will go back and reread my catalog and decide if i am going to get the extension or history opt. thanks momtofive (by the way we have 5 also, all boys :D ) i did not remember reading that before and it really would not be to much because my ds love to read!
Brandi
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks Lisa. :) I should have known there was a reason why I got them a Common Place Book. :lol: I guess I forgot about the place in the introduction that listed it. :oops:
~Leah