State Testing- Results are in!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

State Testing- Results are in!

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:22 am

Got my daughter's state testing results today after using HOD with my kids. AMAZING!!! :mrgreen: I'm so impressed! We used Beyond in 2nd, and just a few weeks of Bigger in 3rd, completed Singapore 2 at the beginning of 3rd and didn't get much more due to hard pregnancy and newborn, and 2 genres in DITHOR. Grade Equivalent in Re...ading Comp is 8.4 (that's 8th gr, 4th month!!) and 3.7 in math prob solving and data interp!!!
She didn't finish all the math section, but every answer she gave was correct! In Reading Comp., she got 100% in "inference and interpretation" and "analysis and generalization", 94% in "factual understanding". She got 100% in multi-step problem solving in math. 99th %tile in Reading comp, 48th %tile in the math...though she was given a calculator and didn't know how to use it, so wasn't able to complete the math section. I wish she wouldn't have been offered the calculator, b/c think she would have scored much higher. HOD works!!!

Just thought some of you might be wondering how HOD stacks up in the testing world. This is our 1st year to test, so I was curious too. I am so, so pleased!! :D

ETA: Just noticed she got 100% in Critical Thinking, which is 44%age points above nat'l average. I also didnt mention tis was a Nat'l normed test, not state normed. It was the Iowa (ITBS).
Last edited by Mom2Monkeys on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Heather4Him

Re: State Testing- Results are in!

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:28 pm

That's AWESOME, Tamara!! Congratulations, and you've made me even more excited and encouraged to start HOD this year!! Wish we would've found it sooner. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:49 pm

That is so great! That must really be a blessing after you having such a rough year. Thanks for sharing the encouragement with all of us.
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

4littleones

Post by 4littleones » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy with you! Homeschooling is awsome!

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:08 pm

Wow, that is awesome!! :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

Hooray, Tamara! :D Thanks so much for sharing this, as it is the question many moms long to ask! :) Way to go dd, a big HOD hug headed your way, and now take some needed time to relax - that standardized test can take the pep right out of a gal (moms included). :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:49 am

Congratulations to your dd! sounds like HOD is a perfect fit for her.

I also had my DS tested with the IOWA this year. He is 6 and has done LHFHG and BLHFHG- we are starting Bigger in the fall.
He also scored almost 100% on the math part and was an overall grade of 2.9... I believe the high math grade was due to Singapore and Carrie's ideas in Little and Beyond. :) This really isn't to brag:) just to share because I was worried about HOD and this testing when I first started HOD. In NY state we have to submit something to the school districts each year. Testing is not required until 3rd or 4th grade but I wanted him to be prepared for the testing.
HOD is wonderful~ Thanks Carrie and family.
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:02 pm

That's great! I administered the Iowa Test to my dd at the beginning of June. Could you tell me how long it took for you to get the results, from the time the tests were submitted? I'm anxiously awaiting the results. It's our 1st time testing, too!

Glad to hear it went well!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 pm

We live in a state that does not require standardized testing for homeschoolers. I was wondering for a while now if I should/could test my children at some point? How often should you test? I would like to get a very acurate idea of where each one stands in each subject. How do I go about getting this test?

Thanks for you help (in advance! :D ).

In Christ,

Lisa

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:17 pm

We took the test at the end of April, and I got the results the day I posted this. I guess about 6 weeks to get the results?? But, ours is a requirement by the state, so there were almost 6,000 tests to score and then they started sending out results, one grade at a time for grades 3-9.

I don't think testing is a real accurate picture of where each child stands in each subject. Public schools teach to the test, and then our kids are compared to that. Now, it will basically show you strengths and "weaknesses" compared to other kids in the same grade for each part of the test. So, your child may be advanced in a subject, but it might show as a weak part if the local schools have "taught to the test"-- but those kids may not really know their stuff like yours might. It's just not a good gauge of knowledge...We only had to take a few parts of the ITBS. We had to go test at an unfamiliar church, with unfamiliar kids, and I wasn't in the room. Some kids aren't great test takers, and some are. So, do I think you should test? No. I would totally NOT worry with it. If you chose to, I would do it every 3 years or, or wait until at least 6th or 7th grade...later if you can stand it :wink: And then, I only say that so they have some experience before taking the PSAT, SAT, and/or ACT.

That's just my two cents...and if we weren't required to test, we wouldn't!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Thank you for your info! :D

I am not a fan of test taking! Neither are my children! When I was a kid ( in public school) I had to take those tests. I really hated it. And I felt as though my results never lined up with how I thought I was doing. We don't have to test our children for our state, and that's just how I'm going to leave it. It sounded to me like a lot of parents have their children tested just to see how they are doing (nationally). I really don't put a lot of stock in what the public schools think is the right level of learning. Being a person with a public school background, I know what it's really like and what they are really learning. I am so thankful each and every day that we have the PRIVILEDGE to homeschool! :D I pray that we always will! :D

In Christ,

Lisa

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:19 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say--I have heard other homeschooling speakers suggest testing even if you are not required to. I think it can be useful. I think--think--there are different tests and some are less geared to what is being taught in public school. For instance, in Virginia public schools they do Standards of Learning (SOL) testing, but I have not heard of a homeschooler taking those tests.

Also, some kids like taking tests. I was one of them. :mrgreen: I liked the feeling of knowing the answers to the questions and I don't remember feeling stressed about it as a child. (And there were many things about public elementary school that I do remember being stressful!) If you have a kid like me, it might not be a big deal to test every year or every other year. Just something to think about.
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Ladies,

Thanks so much for sharing! :D I'm celebrating with you tonight! :D I know test taking can be a touchy subject, and one that not all kiddos will excel in, but it's great to share our successes as we encourage one another. :wink:

Blessings
Carrie