I know it's been posted, but what order do you do the boxes?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

I know it's been posted, but what order do you do the boxes?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 pm

We're doing BHFHG, LHFHG, and LHTH. I have a great schedule that goes well for me, but my DD has confided in me that it doesn't jive for her. She has a bad attitude about doing math and grammar. I mean, BAD. She despises text books. She and I talked about her attitude and I told her I would pray for her, and she needed to pray as well-- and ask God to help her figure out a way to handle the attitude. She came to me to say she feels doing these two subjects first would help. She equated it to our dinner time fix-- she dislikes broccoli and would save it for last, then not finish all her "good" food and say she was full with a whiny attitude (so she woudln't have to eat broccoli, but she still had to :wink: ) Our fix was get the broccoli out of the way first! Then relax and enjoy your dinner and get your belly full. It worked wonders and she feels math and grammar are her broccoli. Hehehe :lol:

This totally throws kinks into my schedule. :? But, I need to make the changes for her. What order do you do the boxes in Bigger? What do you "clump together"? If we start with math and grammar, what should we move to next to keep a good flow? We are nearing the end of 3rd grade, but may only be a third of the way through 3rd grade math...so we need to do at least a good half hour of that, maybe 45min. Should I put something quick and more "fun" after math (hymns and poetry?), before we get to the grammar? I know there is a great CM post about alternating subjects, which I can't find. Perhaps that would help me.

I've got to figure out how to rework my other two in here now too. We took waaaaayyyy too much time off this past school year due to pregnancy complications and a rather sleepless newborn who, at 6months, JUST slept through the night for the first time last night...didn't wake until 4:30am! He also doesn't sleep much in the daytime. So, we will be part-timing through the summer. It's too hot to be out much anyway. Already hit 95 once...in ARKANSAS!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

creativemommy

Re: I know it's been posted, but what order do you do the boxes?

Post by creativemommy » Thu May 27, 2010 4:21 pm

I like your broccoli idea! I will have to try that for my picky eater. :D

We're not to Bigger yet, so I can't answer your question specifically. But to encourage you...this year with LHFHG I thought I'd have a schedule for my ds in getting the boxes done (what worked for ME), but what I found is he'd stall getting his work done and throw a fit, too. He really wanted to pick the order of other boxes. I thought every day would be different but he settled into a nice routine (and I learned to adjust accordingly even though going from the bottom left page to the top of the right page drives me cRaZy :shock:). I found after awhile he did what he disliked first to get it out of the way (learning this on his own). :D

Who knows how next year with Beyond will be...but as long as we're getting the work done (and enjoying it) the order shouldn't matter, right?! :wink:
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm

I like your thinking! Though, I'm afraid nothing would ever get done...I'm having to schedule 4 children, and 3 guides :shock: and still get done at a decent time. I need to know at least we will get these subjects done in this block of school time, and then knowing that one of those might be independent or at least partly, i can also work on something else with another child at that time. KWIM? Otherwise I'd be schooling all day long! I have to mesh them all together, and that only works if I somewhat plan it out. We've been at it long enough that I could let her help order the boxes though to set our routine...hmmm...it's a thought.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm

I skip around between the two pages. I always start with reading, but find varying between a reading activity and other type of activity works best for us (we are doing Little Hearts). I understand you need to plan your schedule with multiple guides, but maybe you and your daughter could work together to find a sequence that works for both of you. I actually adjusted our order twice before we got it right. :)
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Fri May 28, 2010 8:16 am

I try to "mix it up" for my DS. We always start with Bible and then sometimes LA is next (cursive, grammar, spelling), sometimes Math, sometimes History. He seems to do better with it changing each day for some reason. When I was doing it in the same order he got tired of it really quickly. I do try to schedule more of the "fun" things between the not-so-fun. We do workboxes, so I will put Music, Art, or a "fun" box (puzzles, mazes, drawing, etc.) b/t LA and Math, for example. I try to spread out the amount of writing so that he is not doing one box after another of writing. Every child is different, though, and I would say that if your daughter is asking to get her least favorite subjects out of the way first, let her try it and see how it goes! :wink:
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 28, 2010 10:07 am

We do fun stuff in between not fun stuff too, but it changes daily. Typically though I'll put a quicker not sitting down something to do in between reading things... Next year in Bigger we'll be going half speed so I'll probably split the reading things up as evenly as possible each day... I haven't really looked yet at how it's laid out in the TM, but we don't do sitting still very well and cannot listen if we are moving.... :)

shaybird

independent subjects first

Post by shaybird » Fri May 28, 2010 10:41 am

Hello. I have my kiddos do their math, cursive, handwriting, memory work, etc. first thing in the am while I do my chores. My oldest helps the younger if they have questions or unsure about what next. This works wonderfully for me!! then they can pick the box but they usually keep the same order everyday.
HTH,
Sharyn

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri May 28, 2010 9:47 pm

How much time do YOU spend with her on teaching math & grammar? Would it work to teach her math...and then give her 20-30 min to finish her work while you do LHTH? Then you could come & start her with grammar and leave her to finish whatever you want written. Then she could go on & do whatever else she's doing independently. (Is she doing the science box mostly on her own since she's reading so well?) Then you could go start with your LHFHG guy. You could give him 30-45 min and then bounce back to her & give her a block of time before she moves on to something else to work on (like the corresponding history box that will involve something she writes sometimes - vocab, notebooking, timeline, art...)

I don't know if that helps...but it's REALLY similar to what we changed to this spring when I split my little 2. When I was over morning sickness & feeling spunky again I made the change to have Garret do LHTH again (which is what he needed) and let Allison blaze ahead in LHFHG (which is what she needed). Anyway, we needed a change-up in the schedule that was working for us as a result. And, from some brilliant observation I found that Grant did really well getting math & grammar done early in the day (much less day-dreaming!). So, we did something like the above. :wink: And we loved our new groove - and it didn't take much time to fall right into it!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Fri May 28, 2010 11:24 pm

I've enjoyed this post and, having four boys myself, totally identify!

What is it about Heart of Dakota's boxes? :D I see a schedule in grid format and I freak out. But those boxes... Aah! What a relief! :D

Annette

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat May 29, 2010 8:19 am

Kathleen wrote:How much time do YOU spend with her on teaching math & grammar? Would it work to teach her math...and then give her 20-30 min to finish her work while you do LHTH? Then you could come & start her with grammar and leave her to finish whatever you want written.For math, I should only have to spend 5-10 min teaching and then let her loose to finish it in about 10-20 min, but she dawdles and doens't stay on task. So I really need to give more attention to her in this area and spend the whole time with her for now. She does better with grammar though since I got the workbook she can do when there is one. She's kinda ok at doing it written on paper when that's needed. Maybe we should start with Grammar to get her focus going. Then she could go on & do whatever else she's doing independently. (Is she doing the science box mostly on her own since she's reading so well?) Had not thought about letting her do science independently! Good idea. She LOVES John Audubon and could easily do this box herself. Althought *I* don't like the idea of missing this book!! LOL :D Then you could go start with your LHFHG guy. You could give him 30-45 min and then bounce back to her & give her a block of time before she moves on to something else to work on (like the corresponding history box that will involve something she writes sometimes - vocab, notebooking, timeline, art...)This sounds great, but I don't know what to do with my 3yo during all this! Plus my 6month old will be needy at some point...and probably in danger with the 3yo around :lol:

I don't know if that helpsIt does!!!! Thank you!!!...but it's REALLY similar to what we changed to this spring when I split my little 2. When I was over morning sickness & feeling spunky again I made the change to have Garret do LHTH again (which is what he needed) and let Allison blaze ahead in LHFHG (which is what she needed). Anyway, we needed a change-up in the schedule that was working for us as a result. And, from some brilliant observation I found that Grant did really well getting math & grammar done early in the day (much less day-dreaming!). So, we did something like the above. :wink: And we loved our new groove - and it didn't take much time to fall right into it!

:D Kathleen
I've replied above in blue. (I hope!)
I'm considering getting math/grammar for dd8 and math/phonics with ds6 done in the morning. Then taking our playtime break while it's cool out in the mornings. It's already reached 95 here and afternoons are just too hot to get out in. So, we could do school later in the day while we're stuck inside. Then I could do DS3's LHTH when we come in or after lunch, before attempting nap time for him. I think the kids and I will do well splitting it up. I'm thinking I'll do ds6's storytime and scripture song during breakfast. Maybe dd's storytime as well. For some reason, that's the area that gets skipped in our house when it gets hectic. As well as DITHOR. :oops:
HOD is sooo flexible! I'm so glad it can flow so well in so many different ways!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat May 29, 2010 8:20 am

Betameculia wrote:I've enjoyed this post and, having four boys myself, totally identify!

What is it about Heart of Dakota's boxes? :D I see a schedule in grid format and I freak out. But those boxes... Aah! What a relief! :D

Annette
I'm right there with you! :D I adore the box layout. Makes it so clear and easy in my mind. I'm particularly fond of the "key focus" part. :wink:
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Betameculia

Post by Betameculia » Sat May 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Mom2Monkeys wrote:
Betameculia wrote:I've enjoyed this post and, having four boys myself, totally identify!

Annette
I'm right there with you! :D I adore the box layout. Makes it so clear and easy in my mind. I'm particularly fond of the "key focus" part. :wink:
Yep! That's me too! :D The Key Focus really helps me see the method in the madness and link everything together. I'm a real 'why' person. And I can get that box layout in my head easy and no fear! As for my boys, they love to choose what order to do things and this way, they can. Boxes win big time!

Annette

Cindie2dds

Post by Cindie2dds » Sun May 30, 2010 10:18 am

This is a great post thank you so much. I've been devouring it. Since this is our first time through, I need all the help I can get. My track record with guides is abysmal, but I think the "box" layout is much simpler than a weekly-grid format, which I couldn't do. Seeing a full week at a time was way too overwhelming for me. I would look at all that we were supposed to do for the week in separate guides and just give up and do my own thing, which is not the best because we would leave out something important. :wink:

I think I might try to let Juliette pick the order of her boxes she does too. It's very easy for them to see what needs to be done daily with the box system. She can just check off the boxes herself since we plan to make each guide we buy their own to write in. I'm thinking out loud, but I think this would help lead to independent learning also.

Anyway, thanks for the post, ladies!
Wife of 17 years to Gary, mom to girls:
Starting our journey with HOD in August!
Juliette (Jan/04) BLHFHG
Jordan (Jul/06) LHTH