Drawn into the Heart of read level?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lisaha

Drawn into the Heart of read level?

Post by lisaha » Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 am

What level of Drawn into the heart of reading would my DD be? She reads American Girl books on her own, Little House books, Charlott'e's Web, Adventure's Children's Bible, Magic Tree house (in one sitting) ex... She LOVES to read on her own, misses a few words when I listen to her but understands the contents.

lisaha

Re: Drawn into the Heart of read level?

Post by lisaha » Tue May 18, 2010 10:53 am

This year for reading she would read the Adventure's in MFW read alouds to me and I would ask her oral questions on it.

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Tue May 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Most of the MFW Adventures read-alouds are also recommended in HOD...if you type the name of them into the "Book Shop" part of the HOD site, it will list the readiing level for the book, like 3.4 for Courage of Sarah Noble, and 5.3 for Sarah Witcher's story. HTH :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 pm

I think these links will help you decide. :D They list the reading levels and titles of books in the DITHOR Book Packs. Each link will have the level of the book and the range of levels of books in the package noted in decimals at the top, for example at this link where both Level 2 and Level 3 Book Packs are listed, it says at the top...
"Level 2 Book Pack ranges in reading levels from 3rd grade to 4th grade first month"

http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

Also, behind each book in the list the Reading Level (RL) is noted for individual titles as well.

Here is the 4/5 Book Pack link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional4-5.php

I would also weigh your dc's age when choosing a book pack. Although my 7 yo is an avid reader and could probably handle the books in the Level 3 Book Pack and even the Level 4/5 Book Pack, I chose the Level 2 Book Pack for him because of his maturity and to give him time to focus on the other skills DITHOR has to teach him, since they are new to him and are harder. From what you've shared your dd is reading, I'd probably go with Level 2 or Level 3 - probably Level 3 if she is age 8 or older, or Level 2 if she is 7 or 8. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lisaha

Post by lisaha » Wed May 19, 2010 10:54 am

Thank you so much everyone! Everyone is so helpfull! :)