Teaching a 3 year old with a 1 year old around

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenandrob2003

Teaching a 3 year old with a 1 year old around

Post by jenandrob2003 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Hello everyone,

My son turns 3 at the end of August and I've started preschool at home with him. I was just wondering how families out there with babies manage to homeschool with little ones, such as my other son who will turn one in May. He is very clingy. When I've tried to do activities with my 3 year old, the 1 year old doesn't want to play with the toys I put in front of him. He just wants to be held. I've tried some educational videos, which he likes, but only if I'm watching them with him. It is also hard for the 3 year old to concentrate on an activity when there are videos on because he wants to watch them, too.

Do you all try to cram everything in when the baby is taking a nap (he only naps for an hour in the morning and sometimes one hour in the afternoon)? Or have you found some activities that tend to hold little ones attention? I've also tried to "include" my one year old, but he still puts paper and crayons in his mouth. I'd welcome any suggestions. Right now I'm a human jungle gym for my one year old and I'd like to start gently teaching him some independence.

Many thanks, Jen

jenntracy

Re: Teaching a 3 year old with a 1 year old around

Post by jenntracy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:46 pm

i would do it while baby is napping. LHTH maybe takes a half hour. sometimes an art project involving painting could take a little longer and why not include the
1 yr old in that :0

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sun May 02, 2010 6:09 pm

You can also do it while the 1 yr old is in the high chair eating a snack. It can just be hard with a one year old. What works to occupy one may not work for another one. This time will pass.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon May 03, 2010 5:16 am

I have a carrier (Ergo) that I put the baby on my back if she's not happy playing by herself or with other sisters. If she wants to be in the middle of school then I put her on my back. That way, she can be in the middle of it, but not touching and pulling everything.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am

Here are a few great links for thoughts about juggling little ones during homeschooling:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198&p=33557
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4987&p=36744#p36744

There are also some awesome schedules ladies shared that have babies/toddlers in the mix at these lengthy threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=95&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jenandrob2003

Post by jenandrob2003 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Many thanks, ladies! I was re-reading my post and I hope I wasn't giving the impression that I don't like being climbed all over. I think it is so sweet that he loves, loves, loves his Mommy. I would like nothing more than to sit on the floor all day and let him crawl away and come back.

Silly question, but how do you attach a signature with your name, etc? This is the first time I've been a part of a board.

Again, so grateful for your suggestions!

Jen
Mother of
Seth 2
Elijah 1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 11, 2010 11:19 am

jenandrob2003 wrote: Silly question, but how do you attach a signature with your name, etc? This is the first time I've been a part of a board.

Again, so grateful for your suggestions!

Jen
Mother of
Seth 2
Elijah 1
Not a silly question at all! At the top of your blue toolbar, just click on "User Control Panel", then click on the "Profile" tab, and last "Edit Signature". You can type in the signature there. You can change it at any time after that as well in the same way. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Yep, I do what others have already mentioned...

1) I also have an ergo carrier that is fantastic to put my little ones in.

2) Put them in a high chair with a snack/activity to occupy them.

3) Include them. My current 2 year old does very well being included and has since she was just over a year old. I just make it clear to her what she can and cannot touch! :-) She knows that I mean what I say, so she won't try to take what isn't hers.

4) Use nap time. When my oldest was 3 we did LHTH while her baby sister was napping.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Tue May 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Jen. As you can see from my signature line, I had a 3 year old and (2) one year olds, and honestly, I didn't do a whole lot of school stuff when he was 3. I taught him the alphabet, what sound each letter makes (looking back, I'm not sure I would have even done that at 3) and how to count. We did lots of crafts, read books, talked and even baked some things. I did it mostly while the twins were sleeping. But, school really happens all day. I would put a letter up on the refrigerator and we would go over the sound whenever we were in the kitchen. I would let him play with playdough or color at the kitchen table while I was cooking dinner. Are you starting LHTH? I didn't know about HOD back then. If you are starting LHTH, you could easily do it in an hour while your baby naps.

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10