Beyond or Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
*~Summer~*

Beyond or Bigger?

Post by *~Summer~* » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Hello,

I am considering using Heart of Dakota with my two children. My son is 8 (going to be 9 in June) and my daughter is 6 (going to be 7 in June). I was considering using Beyond because my children have not had any American History yet. We home school year round, so if we started now, we could start Bigger in January when they both would be 9 & 7 years old.

Is Beyond going to be too babyish for their ages right now? My main concern was just that I didnt want them to miss any American History. Are the activities going to be too babyish for them (sorry for lack of a better word). I did look at the placement chart, but I was still confused so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

happy@home

Re: Beyond or Bigger?

Post by happy@home » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Summer,

Welcome to HOD!! :D

I just wanted to share with you that my son is 7 (will be 8 in late October) and my daughter just turned 6 in March. We are just finished the last few weeks of LHFHG and will start Beyond in mid-July. I have read through most of the Beyond manual and can assure you that there is nothing babyish in there!! :wink:

I am sure that some of the more seasoned ladies will help you sort out your confusion with the placement chart soon! :wink: If you would share a little about your dc and their abilities in writing and listening skills that will help. I know I am leaving out something, but that is a start!! :D
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Summer,

I did think of something else! If you go to the "home page" and click on Beyond or Bigger you can get a sample part of the manuals!! A sneak peek if you will. 8)

Robbin
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

*~Summer~*

Post by *~Summer~* » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Thank you everyone for the welcomes! I will list my dc abilities:

Daughter 6(almost 7)

-Phonics - We are still working on phonics. She can sound out short/long vowel letter words, and beginning/ending blends. She has not learned the vowel pair sounds yet, except ee. We are currently doing CLE's Learn to Read program. She can read fairly well, but she has to sound almost everything out still.
-Writing - She can form all her letters really good. She can do copywork of several sentences. She knows how to spell many 3-5 letter words.

Son 8(almost 9)

-Phonics - He is completely done with phonics. He can read almost anything he picks up.
-Writing- He can copy long passages, and do dictation. He has been working through Writing With Ease 2

From my childrens skills my daughter sounds like she places in Beyond, and my son places in Bigger. If I can't combine them then HOD is not going to be an option for us I don't think. Neither of them has done American History before, and I really don't want my son to miss out on the beginnings of American History. I would really like to put them both in Beyond, and then start Bigger in January. I know a lot of the books in Beyond is recommended in other curriculum's that say it can be for 2-3rd graders.
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

*~Summer~*

Post by *~Summer~* » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm

I guess one of my main concerns is that neither of them have done American History before, and Beyond starts at 1500. They would be missing the first part of American History, is this not a problem?
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am

Beyond starts at the beginning... I'm not sure if Bigger does or not, but Beyond does. I would also say that you could put them both in Beyond, do DITHOR with your DS and put each of them in the math they belong in. I see no reason why you couldn't combine both of them in Beyond?

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:26 am

Both Beyond and Bigger start with early American History. Our family opinion is that Beyond uses more of a story format about the people, events and culture of the time. In Beyond you follow a lot of the settlers coming to America. Then Bigger is a biographical overview that starts at the beginning with Christopher Columbus and comes through to the 1970's (I think that's the ending date).

You could certainly combine the 2 kids if that's what will work best for your family. You may find that the science is a little light for your oldest in Beyond. So you may need to add some extra reading or experiments on your own. And since you are planning to get the Bigger manual next, if you could swing it financially to get it now, that would give you a schedule for the oldest to have math and LA on their level.

I would agree that Beyond does not have activities that I would consider "babyish". There are no finger plays or little rhymes like in the younger guides. It does have you studying poetry and uses hands on activities that relate to the history or science readings.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:39 pm

I agree with the other ladies. Use beyond for both. Add DITHOR for you oldest. Also, do the math they need on their own level. Add in some extra science for your oldest and English with R&S 2. You may want the Bigger manual for Spelling or dictation-whichever fits your son or for the math if that is where he places. The math in Bigger is with Singapore 2a,2b. If he is in 3a,3b then you just need the textbooks for Singapore.

Look at the week at a glance for both and it will give you a good idea of the difference in the manuals. From the sound of it your daughter needs beyond and it's much easier to add to a program than take away.

Some science extras you may want to add:
Nature Reader (this is a series by Christian Liberty press)
The Burgess Bird book by Thornton Burgess
I'm sure you can easily find much more.
Some people on the boards have mentioned using Exploring Creation with Botany. If you did that then you would not add anything else.

You can also add in extra History readings for your oldest. We are doing this for my oldest this year.
George Washington D'Aulaire
Columbus D'Aulaire
Ben Frankin D'Aulaire
Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson we are reading Squanto together
Sarah Whitcher's story
If you lived 100 yr's ago

Of course you can always do the program just as it is and not add anything extra for your oldest and he would still have a great fit. I just find it easier to beef up a program for a older student than take away from one for a younger.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm

I would absolutely start with Beyond. We LOVED it. We are finishing up Unit 26 in Bigger this year for 2nd grade. My main regret is that I did not start with Little Hearts for the 1st grade. We used Beyond for 1st and Bigger for 2nd. In hindsight, I would rather have used LHFHG for 1st, Beyond for 2nd and Bigger for 3rd. They are all full-bodied and yet can adapt to younger or older children, though I find that I wish for another year befoer Preparing.

We have LOVED the books in Bigger. One of our favorites is A Pioneer Sampler. My dd can't wait for science each day. :lol:

What I am doing now is going into a holding pattern of sorts for the 3rd grade. I will use Bigger through the summer and then use any books and activities that we missed this year while she uses a different curriculum through Artios Academies for her core subjects. We will pick up Preparing for the 4th grade.

That said, I am going to purchase Preparing this weekend at the conference and have it on hand in case the alternate plan does not work as I hope. I love HOD and have told everyone that I know about it. I am so thankful for HOD and how easy it has made my homeschooling experience. :D

Good luck! I hope you are able to make a decision that works for your family!
Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

*~Summer~*

Post by *~Summer~* » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Thank you all so much. You have given me a lot to think about. Another message board was telling me to start with Bigger, so I was planning to order that tomorrow. Now I am really confused.
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Hopefully this will help rather than confuse you more...look at Preparing and decide if you will want to do it next year. That may help you to decide.

Good luck!
Judy
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

*~Summer~*

Post by *~Summer~* » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:44 pm

It says Preparing is for 8-10 year olds. We would be done with Bigger in January, and my dd will only be 7 then. So, she would probably not be ready for Preparing yet. Should I do Beyond with them both, or should I do Beyond with my dd and Bigger with my ds?
DS(8th) HOD MTMM
DD(6th) HOD RTR
DS(4) LHTH
DD(3) LHTH

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:55 pm

I would probably do Beyond with both but....everyone is different so, ultimately, it is still your decision.

HTH,
Judy
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta