What's your favorite dictionary?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

What's your favorite dictionary?

Post by sharonb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 pm

I have the Webster's 1828 dictionary on my wishlist, but I doubt I'll be able to get it anytime soon. I have a children's dictionary I picked up super cheap from a used book seller, BUT it never has any of the words in it that we are trying to look up!!

So, what's a GOOD dictionary, but affordable? As dd starts 3rd grade in a few months, I want her to start looking up words she doesn't know!

mskogen

Re: What's your favorite dictionary?

Post by mskogen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:04 am

Shannon,
The Webster Dictionary is available online. I found a webster 1828 dictionary from the 40's at Goodwill for a couple of dollars and it works so far. I also have the 1828 dictionary on my wishlist. I found the children's dictionary to be a waste of money and time. None of the words were ever in it.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:07 am

I do have the 1828 bookmarked online, but I want my children to learn to use the actual book too (plus I don't want to have to run to the computer, get on the internet, and go to that site every time they need to look something up. Having a dictionary in the schoolroom will be much better!)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm

We have an old Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary that we've liked using. I see there is a new edition 11th Edition, but older editions are also available depending on which you'd prefer. They are inexpensive, come in hardcover or softcover, and are extensive enough to include words looked up in HOD. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks!

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Be cautious about purchasing the newer Collegiate version. I am actually about to rid our home of ours. It was published, I think, in 2002. I stumbled on some words that SHOCKED me to the core and I am no wilting flower. Let's just say that the slang words they have added go all the way to the bottom of the barrel - the s word, and even the f word and many variations of the words are there. I do not want my daughter to use that dictionary. We are using the Scholastic Children's Dictionary until I find a more suitable one. I recently saw a headline about some uproar over the Webster's fictionary but missed the details of the story. Need to google that......

Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:02 pm

jensmom wrote:Be cautious about purchasing the newer Collegiate version. I am actually about to rid our home of ours. It was published, I think, in 2002. I stumbled on some words that SHOCKED me to the core and I am no wilting flower. Let's just say that the slang words they have added go all the way to the bottom of the barrel - the s word, and even the f word and many variations of the words are there. I do not want my daughter to use that dictionary. We are using the Scholastic Children's Dictionary until I find a more suitable one. I recently saw a headline about some uproar over the Webster's fictionary but missed the details of the story. Need to google that......

Judy
Oh my! Thanks, Judy! My older version is so tame compared to that. Good to know. Sharonb - I hope you see this as well as it seems the newer versions have taken a turn for the worse. :( I too would love the Webster's 1828 but don't have the funds right now. :? My old college dictionary has been fine though.
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the heads up!!!!
I'm going to ask my parents if they are using their old dictionary; I think it's probably from the 50s or 60s.

I did bookmark the 1828 online dictionary, so we can use that if we need to in the meantime. Today I officially moved our school back into the kitchen so that we can have a separate playroom again, so we will be closer to the computer if we need to look something up!