Packaging question for Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
paliz

Packaging question for Bigger

Post by paliz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:23 am

I was wondering how the package deal changes if you decide to go with Language Lessons as oppose to R&S that is listed.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:47 pm

paliz,

We don't actually list the Queen's Language Lessons as an option in "Bigger..." for the grammar portion. We only list the Rod and Staff English 2 which is why that is included in the package. We do carry the first volume of each of the Queen's language lessons as a possible language arts option to use along with "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" (as we have some customers that do not use our complete programs but only use DITHR).

The reason we chose not to go with the Queen's book as a language arts option in "Bigger..." is because we already cover the language arts in a Charlotte Mason way in "Bigger...." (copywork, oral narration lessons and practice, CM-style spelling and dictation passages). We also felt like after the gentle grammar lessons included in "Beyond..." it was time to move into a more formal grammar study in "Bigger...." like that provided in "Rod and Staff" English 2.

The Queen's books are mainly copywork, very gentle grammar lessons, and some picture study. There is little or no guidance given to creative writing, except in the area of poetry. Since we also do study poetry quite extensively in "Bigger..." so much of the Queen's book would be redundant. The picture study in the Queen's book is the only area not already covered in "Bigger...".

We usually recommend the Queen books to be used in conjunction with another formal grammar program such as Rod and Staff or to be used on alternating years with a formal grammar program if a break is needed from formal grammar.

Blessings,
Carrie

paliz

Post by paliz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Carrie, thanks for explaining that. I think I will be just using the Rod and Staff then.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Sounds good, paliz! I was hoping that explanation would make sense and not be one of those "clear as mud" posts! :lol:

Blesssings,
Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:56 pm

Ah, that makes it clearer! Looks like my kids will have to stick with Rod and Staff (that's a good thing :) )
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Ronda

Post by Ronda » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Carrie,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

You have totally answered my questions concerning R & S vs Queen LL, and now everything makes sense! The reason I was leaning toward Queen was because I didn't want to miss the CM style language arts and now I know it's already written into Bigger....what a hugh relief. We may still do Queen for the picture study because the pictures do look gorgeous and I think doing them will help my daughter with her creativity.

I love this group and all the help that's here!!!

Blessings to all!
Ronda
Married 26 years to one wonderful husband!
Mama to 5 great kids
22, 18, 11, 10, & 6

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Oh Ronda, I'm so glad that was helpful. Sometimes I get too detailed in my responses, and it is TOO MUCH information! :lol: My sisters have me working on that! You are right that the pictures in the Queen's book are beautiful. However, if you are looking for just picture study, we do like the "Smart About Art" books (especially Renoir and Cassatt). They are inexpensive and work great as we do it once a week, studying one picture at a time and really getting to know one artist. Here's a link to one of the books:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-About-Art-P ... 001&sr=8-1

We're working to eventually add these as part of a 5th day option to do with "Preparing..." or any of our other programs if moms want. They have been fun and easy for picture study at our house the last 3 years. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Ronda

Post by Ronda » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Carrie wrote: We're working to eventually add these as part of a 5th day option to do with "Preparing..." or any of our other programs if moms want. They have been fun and easy for picture study at our house the last 3 years. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Ohhhhh, Carrie, now I can't wait until we get to Preparing!! These books look really good.
Thanks!!!
Ronda
Married 26 years to one wonderful husband!
Mama to 5 great kids
22, 18, 11, 10, & 6

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am

That is so helpful, Carrie! Thanks so much!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12