Bigger Veterans... is this all I need?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Evergreen Mama

Bigger Veterans... is this all I need?

Post by Evergreen Mama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm

I am sooo excited. We just got our BHFHG package and it feels like Christmas in July. Yet ANOTHER perk of Homeschooling. You always get Christmas in July (or August...) Anyhow, I was wondering for you veterans of Bigger if this is an accurate assessment of "extra" things we need to have to get started:

A Notebook for:
Spelling/Dictation lined?
Vocabulary Words
History Notebooking
Science Notebooking

File Folder for Timeline and

Scripture Memory Box

Does that sound about right? Any suggestions from trial and error as to sketchbook/three ring/comp. book etc.? Juuuust wondering.

Thank you!
Davena
Davena
Wife to Garrett, Mom to four kiddos

dale1088

Re: Bigger Veterans... is this all I need?

Post by dale1088 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:11 pm

That looks about right. We combined vocab/dictation/copywork in one binder with tabs separating them.

We didn't even use a card file for scripture. We used 3x5 cards, hole-punched and on a ring, and that ring holding them all hung on the wall in front of her. Just easier for us.

Sounds like you're all set!!! Have a great time!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh, Davena, you're going to have a great time with Bigger!! :D :D I'm excited for you to begin, too!

We used a plain ol' notebook for dictation and English. (We actually only used the English notebook for the last bit of the year because my ds really liked writing on the white board better, but later in the year preferred paper. :wink: )

We used a card file and 3x5 cards for vocabulary...but I know a notebook is the other option. We liked the cards though.

Grant copied his Bible verses on 4x6 cards and then we put them in a cheap little photo album from Wal-Mart.

We used 2 3-ring binders for science and history notebooking where we inserted the notebooking assignments in sheet protectors.

I know what you mean about Christmas in July! :D My wonderful boxes are sitting in my bedroom just waiting to be poured over - tomorrow!!! :D :D :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Your list looks right to me! I'm glad you're so excited! :D

We pray that you'll enjoy Bigger Hearts as much as we have!

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm

You're set, Davena! :D I could have written Kathleen's post - that's exactly what we did. BHFHG has several different ideas about doing things - and any of those ideas work just great, so it all comes down to personal preference. We did love having my ds highlight his Bible verses in his Bible, and he kept his verses in one of those little "book-like" looking photo albums. He still loves to flip through his verses and remember the time he spent in BHFHG. Our Christmas will come in August, and I can hardly wait! :D Enjoy your "early holiday" now! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie