Queen Language Lessons Anyone???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Ronda

Queen Language Lessons Anyone???

Post by Ronda » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Does anyone here use Queen Language Lessons instead of Rod & Staff for Language Arts? Both are listed as language arts options, so I'm just wondering why you may have chosen Queen over R & S and any likes/dislikes you may have. If you've used both I'd really like to hear your compare/contrast of the two programs. I'm trying to decide which way to go when we begin Bigger Hearts next fall.

For my oldest 2 children (ds 21, & dd 16---I'm probably the oldest one here, LOL :roll: ) we used mostly LLATL and other 'relaxed' language arts with no work in diagramming, etc. DD still has trouble with grammar as what little she studied didn't stick. Currently for high school she is studying literature and composition because she hates grammar. When DS went to college he did really well in English Composition, and grammar was not even an issue.

For my younger children we've been using ACE paces, which are very grammar intensive, especially for 10 yo dd. She does not like all the grammar work! I'm leaning toward Queen's Language Lessons with her because she has very little experience with creative writing and I feel the picture studies and narrations in Queen LL will definitely help her creativity.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :P
Ronda
Married 26 years to one wonderful husband!
Mama to 5 great kids
22, 18, 11, 10, & 6

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 am

No help here, but I'm also curious to see some answers-I am pondering a change for next year, because I like what I saw on the Queen website (they have samples), and it seems like it might at least suit one of my daughters better...but I also would love to hear from people who actually are using them!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:01 am

Hi Rhonda! I'm not sure if this will help either because I just received Queens in the mail last week for my younger dd (7). I bought it for the picture studies which are just beautiful.

I have Rod and Staff 2 and Language Lessons for the Little Ones Book 2. Now, just glancing , and let me EMPAHSIS THE GLANCING, through the two they don't really compare at all. Rod and Staff does not have a picture study, or a weekly poem that is used as copywork. The grammar is so minimal in Queens compared to Rod and Staff, I mean Queens is gentle, gentle, gentle and gentle some more in the grammar area. R&S just has a lot more grammar instruction. There is not a content page or an index for me to compare what is covered in the Queens book without going page by page, so without a great deal of work I can't be too specific right now. Just looking it's like comparing apples to oranges. The philosphies behind each book is so different. Queens appears to be very CM (at least what I understand about CM) and R&S looks very traditional.

Of course all that's just my opinion, since I come from using Abeka and BJU for English, Queens looks pretty minimal to me right now. I plan to use R&S and add in part of the Queens book to our day for my youngest dd.

Have you thought of using something like Easy Grammar?

Well, I bet I have you on the age thing...My kiddos are 30, 27, 10, and 7. My 2 youngest are the same age as some of my grandkids and I have 4 of those! :shock:

For someone who hasn't used either I sure had a lot to say! :roll:

EDITED. I edited out where I said R&S was superior...it was a bad choice of words. I was meaning superior in AMOUNT of grammar instruction and not superior in quality of instruction in comparison to Queens. I certainly wasn't tryng to say one was better than the other, but that they are just very different.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

paliz

Post by paliz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 am

Well I'm using the very first book for my oldest dd. She's been slow to pick up her alphabet. In that book it has lots of review and practice which she needs. The pictures are great and I love how they have the child to creative oral stories and drawing their own pictures of things. I'm leaning towards it for my ds next year, we'll be using Bigger. This year we are just using what Carrie has in Beyond with nothing extra.

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:17 am

I have used Queens. I have NOT used R&S, so, I cannot compare them. But, I can say that Queens is very gentle. I'm not sure which book you will be using, and if we have used the level you are considering, so, I can't comment on that either. :D That said, it sounds like maybe your dd could use a change and that Queens might be a good fit for her. Grammar tends to be repeated from year to year, IMHO, so a change to a gentler approach for a year or two would not hurt her, in fact, it may be an encouragement to her.

Bless you in your decision!
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Check out Carrie's answer on the thread about "Packages for Bigger" and you will get a great answer about the Queen's vs. R&S.

I do use Queen's, and love the gentle approach for my K and 1st kiddos, but I plan to move them into R&S as soon as we get to Bigger (3rd grade).

Also, check out the sample pages for Susan W Bauer's new writing book on their peacehillpress site. It will totally confirm using narration and copywork for our littles, and gives ideas for middlers and olders. (I am not rec. this book and don't plan to purchase it, just enjoyed those free sample chapters! :wink: ) Much of what Carrie has already written into her curriculums is confirmed by this book, we're just lucky and have Carrie already writing it for us!! GO HODIES!! :D
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Ronda

Post by Ronda » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:17 pm

Thank you all so much for all your wonderful help! I also read Carries reply in the 'Packaging question for Bigger' thread and everything makes sense now. We will probably go with Rod & Staff but also use Queen LL for the picture study because that is something we've never done and I really feel it will help my daughter.

This is such a great, helpful group. I'm so glad to be here!

Love,
Ronda
Married 26 years to one wonderful husband!
Mama to 5 great kids
22, 18, 11, 10, & 6