Phonics.....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
BlessedMommy

Phonics.....

Post by BlessedMommy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Can anyone give me some input on the phonics programs??? Or if you have one that you could point me to look at.....

Blessings
Adrienne Kleeman
Wife to a WONDERFUL Hubby
Mommy to:
Avery - 8
Trenton - 6
Isabelle - 4

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Adrienne,

I'm going to move this post over to the main board, as you'll get more responses there. :D The forum you posted in here is for "sharing your experiences with Little Hearts...". All new posts go on the main board. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm

For learning to read phonics, The Reading Lesson is the best I have ever used. It works almost like magic to me. It's just very easy and painless. I've used Alpha Phonics and First Reader. Those are also good. But this one has just been the easiest for us. For leaning how words are spelled phonics the phonics that comes with R&S grade 2 is awesome. I have my third grade level kids doing that. But this is an area that is maybe controversial. A lot of people feel that once a child begins reading phonics is not necessary all they need is spelling. I am no expert. It has helped my kids though so I put it out there. I'm not familiar with the other phonics HOD has but none of their recommendations has been less than wonderful for us. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Adrienne! We have used several phonics programs over the last three years and The Reading Lesson is by far my favorite. I only wish I had found it when I was teaching my older ones how to read. I just started it 2 weeks ago with my soon to be 5 year old. I had been working through another phonics program for months with her and she was making no progress. A week into the Reading Lesson and she was reading! I am so impressed with this phonics program! She asks to do the lessons. :D I would also highly recommend getting the cd rom. It is her favorite part of the lesson- she loves the giggle bunny! :)

Allison

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi Adrienne,

I absolutely LOVE Headsprout! http://www.headsprout.com

You can do 3 free lessons with your child to see if it's for them. It uses the computer and readers together. I have used and LOVED Hooked On Phonics and ACE in the past, but this one beats them all! (for me :wink: )
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

BlessedMommy

Hmmmm....

Post by BlessedMommy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:01 pm

First off... Thanks Carrie for moving my post.

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at several options.... I guess I will continue praying about where God will lead us.

Adrienne
Adrienne Kleeman
Wife to a WONDERFUL Hubby
Mommy to:
Avery - 8
Trenton - 6
Isabelle - 4

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Adrienne, you are so welcome! :D Glad to have you posting!

Blessings,
Carrie

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:28 pm

I have had a lot of success with First Reader (www.firstreader.com) and Explode the Code. My daughter know her letters and sounds before we began in Sept. and now she is a beginning reader. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)