HOD and MFW

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hsmomof5

Re: HOD and MFW

Post by hsmomof5 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:15 pm

Mom25 wrote:Hi Mrs. Lilac,

We used Adventures and really enjoyed it. It was a delightful program and we have many good memories. I remember that we really liked the little art projects included and they were easy and fun to display. We then used ECC, which we also really enjoyed a lot, though the art was tougher (like a previous poster stated). Truthfully, I wouldn't trade those years or change anything about them. We learned a lot, and my kids grew academically and spiritually. I then used Preparing for 4th grade and also had a wonderful experience using the HOD material. The difference I've found is that MFW gives you a bit more freedom in choosing your LA and math, while HOD gives you the plans for poetry and writing, and a schedule for going through the grammar book (which I am hopelessly behind on!). Also, we liked the books for MFW but REALLY liked the books for Preparing.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either program. God is clearly using both to minister to families. I'm not sure what your budget allows, but could you purchase both and use each one for a week or two and then decide which one appeals to your family more, and then sell one??

A lovely review! I think both programs are such a blessing to the homeschooling community but I get a little flustered at users who leave such negative comments about programs that didn't fit their families. I have even read comments where people have called themselves "MFW abandonees". That's just a bit much, IMO. I really don't think there are really bad programs, just bad "fits". A program may be an awful fit for one family yet a perfect fit for another. We need Bible based curriculum like MFW and HOD. I applaud the authors for all of their hard work and efforts in bringing us the best for our children.