Finished Day 1 LHTH

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RedTulipMom

Finished Day 1 LHTH

Post by RedTulipMom » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 pm

We started LHTH today! It went well, but not perfectly. I wanted to share about our day!

When i went to CVS last night to pick up glue, masking tape and black tempura paint i couldnt find tempura paint so i asked the salesclerk if they had any and he said he never heard of it. Neither him nor I knew what it was so i ended up getting Crayola brand Black washable craft paint. (not a good idea)

Anyhoo...when we went to do the project with the white crayons on white paper with the black paint i couldn't find our paintbrushes..so i got creative and had the kids use q-tips instead. All in all they had fun but i dont think the project turned out well at all and we could BARELY see the moon and stars so i ASSUME we had the wrong kind of paint???

MY 23 mos old loved the fingerplay but my soon to be 5 yr old with (high functioning autistic) did not want to do the finger plays, he even left and went in his room for part of it. i think it might take some time for him to get used to it.

They both enjoyed the bible story and participated

When we played the CD "God made the universe" i had the kids march around the room and up and down the hall with musical instruments while we sang and they LOVED it..we played the song twice through!

The activity with turning out the lights and saying 'then God made light' was a big hit and we did it over like 4 times! They both cooperated and loved it, we did it in my room and they jumped on the bed while naming things in the room.

The A flashcard and trying to teach the hands on face with it didn't work at all, son had no interest in it (just like the fingerplay).

its ok..i realize that the kids each have strengths, weaknesses dislikes and likes and i realize not everything will work with my son with him being on the spectrum, overall it went really well and they really enjoyed it. my 23 mos old participated much more than i thought she would and i was excited about it.

I took pictures of them doing the art project and marching to the song with instruments. at the end of the week i will post a few pics from each day. where would i post them..on this main board or somewhere else?

Just want to say i love the program and i really think the kids and i are gonna have a ball with LHTH this year!
Karen
wife to Michael
Mom of 3:
Joe 20 yrs (in his own apt as of last month)
Luke 4 yrs (pdd-nos) LHTH and Kumon wkbks
Anna 23 mos LHTH tag-a-long and loves to color (well scribble anyway)

moedertje

Re: Finished Day 1 LHTH

Post by moedertje » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 pm

Please share your pictures with us. Go to the Board Index and go to the "Weekly Heart of Dakota Check-in", usually by Friday someone has usually started to share for the week. You can add your pictures and stories in there.
I hope you will enjoy LHTH as much as we have. It may take a few weeks to get into it so don't give up, this curriculum will bless you and your family!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 am

I look forward to seeing your pictures in week in review.I have made a note to find tempera paint for the project when we start LHTH next year.
My 6 yo has Aspergers[on the autistic spectrum] and I can echo your post about finding it easier to engage co operation from my 2 year old then my 6 year old.I also have adapted some activities beacuase of his sensory issues for instance we swapped sand in the archeological dig for oats-something he is happy to handle.Keep perservering .I have found routine is my best aid in engaging my 6 year old in his lessons.Im sure you are going to see some amazing results this year. :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Karen,

Thanks for sharing your first day with us! It sounds like you had many areas of success already even though it was only the first day! :D Sam gave you wonderful advice about routine and giving your son time to grow into some of the skills! We pray you will have many more blessed days with LHTH. :D

Blessings,
Carroe

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Karen - Thanks for sharing your first day with us! I would love to see your pictures too. We also used to march around the house for the fingerplay, but when I do it again a third time coming up with ds #3, I am definitely going to need to add the instruments - TOO FUN! :D Don't feel bad about the art project - if I had a dollar for every craft project I've done with preschoolers that didn't go quite right, I'd be one rich gal (too many years of VBS and of me teaching the preschool while other moms went to Bible study groups coming to mind here :wink: ). It's just the nature of the age group, for one thing. :) Anyway, I got my paint from Lakeshore. Here's a link to that in case you still need some paint:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca ... crafts.jsp
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca ... crafts.jsp

I can't wait to see your dc growing into LHTH. Have a Wonderful Wednesday!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie