First week with Beyond and a question...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

First week with Beyond and a question...

Post by Lynnw » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:55 pm

We started Beyond this week and we're really enjoying it. We call it "fun school." All are joining in on the left side so far although my oldest has other reading and writing that do not necessarily tie in to Beyond. On the right side, my oldest only joins us for storytime. I want to give it a few more weeks, but I think I'm in curriculum love! :D

My 2nd ds just finished ETC bk 3, so I'm using the spelling words and related activities in place of that. He continues to read to me from readers we were already using and we are continuing through FLL 1 for now. He is on lesson 17 of MUS Beta. (So, he's basically a first grader). I'm contemplating taking him into Singapore 2A after he finishes Beta (If I decide to switch I will give him the placement test, but this looks like where he would most likely fit). I would also consider switching to R&S English (I already have book 2 on hand). My oldest is 4th grade and will finish FLL level 3 in a few more weeks. I'm contemplating whether to go on to FLL 4 with him or switch to him to R&S. I'm thinking I will likely put him in either Preparing Hearts or Creation to Christ this fall (unless we started Preparing this spring).

So my questions...
1) Any comments on going from FLL3 to R&S 4? Also, I think I've read that you don't write out every bit of the R&S assignments - they can be cut back or done orally somewhat? but how will I know if I'm asking enough of him without doing too much? (This seems the hardest to figure out with my oldest!)

2) Anyone go from MUS (Beta) to Singapore? This ds is mathier than my oldest - I think singapore might be a good fit for him. (My oldest is taking a break from MUS Gamma Lesson ~23 and doing ALEKS for now instead - not sure where we will go from here.... stay with Aleks? back to MUS? to something different? - we are also trying to get multiplication facts down more quickly!)

3) My most important question is a more immediate need.... We're reading American Pioneers and Patriots, but I don't think the page numbers in my book match the page numbers assigned in Beyond. Today we should have read about the storm (going by the key idea) and it should have been pages 6-8, but in my book the storm happens in ch. 2 which is pages 12-16. The copyright is dated 1995 if that makes any difference. I suppose I can go through and figure out which pages to read each day on my own, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

jensmom

Re: First week with Beyond and a question...

Post by jensmom » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Lynnw wrote:3) My most important question is a more immediate need.... We're reading American Pioneers and Patriots, but I don't think the page numbers in my book match the page numbers assigned in Beyond. Today we should have read about the storm (going by the key idea) and it should have been pages 6-8, but in my book the storm happens in ch. 2 which is pages 12-16. The copyright is dated 1995 if that makes any difference. I suppose I can go through and figure out which pages to read each day on my own, but any help would be greatly appreciated!
My copy has 2 copyright dates - 1995, 2002. It sounds like you have an older copy. The storm in mine starts on page 6 exactly like the guide shows. I hope there is a conversion chart somewhere but I do not know of one. Good luck!

And welcome to HOD! :)

Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Lynnw wrote:We started Beyond this week and we're really enjoying it. We call it "fun school." All are joining in on the left side so far although my oldest has other reading and writing that do not necessarily tie in to Beyond. On the right side, my oldest only joins us for storytime. I want to give it a few more weeks, but I think I'm in curriculum love!...
So my questions...
1) Any comments on going from FLL3 to R&S 4? Also, I think I've read that you don't write out every bit of the R&S assignments - they can be cut back or done orally somewhat? but how will I know if I'm asking enough of him without doing too much? (This seems the hardest to figure out with my oldest!)

2) Anyone go from MUS (Beta) to Singapore? This ds is mathier than my oldest - I think singapore might be a good fit for him. (My oldest is taking a break from MUS Gamma Lesson ~23 and doing ALEKS for now instead - not sure where we will go from here.... stay with Aleks? back to MUS? to something different? - we are also trying to get multiplication facts down more quickly!)

3) My most important question is a more immediate need.... We're reading American Pioneers and Patriots, but I don't think the page numbers in my book match the page numbers assigned in Beyond. Today we should have read about the storm (going by the key idea) and it should have been pages 6-8, but in my book the storm happens in ch. 2 which is pages 12-16. The copyright is dated 1995 if that makes any difference. I suppose I can go through and figure out which pages to read each day on my own, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!
I love that you are in "curriculum love" :lol: - you may have just coined a phrase there! You'll have to share your love with me though, because I am too! :lol: I can speak to parts of your questions, but not all of them. First, we do 2/3 of R & S 3 orally every time. We read the beginning lesson out loud together (which is short). Then, I have a marker board, and we do the first part of every section together with me writing on the marker board. For example, if there are 8 exercises in a section, I say and write the answers to #1 and #2, he says the answers out loud and I write the answers for say #3-5, and he does #6-8 in his composition notebook on his own. We go through each section this way. Sometimes, I stay by his side and watch him do each section and other times, we just do our part together, and I have him number his paper down the margin with what I want him to do (i.e. A: 6, 7, 8; B: 7, 8, 9, 10; C: 5, 6; and D: 9, 10, 11, 12. Then, I go away to work with our other ds. Hope that makes sense! This has worked well for us. I really think R & S is a wonderful solid program! Plus, it's Christian - and done the way I've described, it's easy to do.

As far as MUS to Singapore, I tutored various children transitioning form MUS to other curriculums. The hardest part of the transition was letting go of the MUS manipulatives. I think that it is important for dc to do that though anyway. That was actually what the parents were most concerned about and in some cases, the reason for the tutoring. They found their dc were not able to let go of the manipulatives and work problems well without them. However, I know there are people very happy with MUS too. Any math program works with HOD, so you can easily do MUS if that's what you prefer. I will say we have thoroughly enjoyed Singapore. We have our dc do math flashcards in the summer to get their facts down more quickly, but otherwise Singapore is strong on mental math, and the facts seem to come to them pretty quickly anyway.

American Pioneers and Patriots does have several copies. When Beyond was written, the newer copy was written into it. HOD provides conversion pages for materials that have a newer addition than the ones written in their guides, but going back and making conversion pages for all older materials gets to be difficult and hinders their ability to publish their new guides in a timely fashion. However, I do think almost all of the stories are used in order for the most part. You should be able to check the key idea and figure it out - or, you can always buy the newer copy if that proves to be a big pain. :wink:

I'm sure others will chime in here! Those are just a few thoughts I had.

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:33 pm

Lynnw,

I'm so glad that you are having a successful start to using Beyond. :D We pray you'll have continued success with it on your homeschool journey. :D

In answer to your questions, you may be able to go into Rod and Staff 4 from FLL3. We usually find that using Rod and Staff one grade level (or more) behind your child's actual grade level works quite well. It depends on how rigorous of a grammar instruction schedule you are desiring. You may wish to do Rod and Staff 3 instead or plan to move more slowly through Rod and Staff 4 (spreading it out over 2 years). :D We had used FLL1-2 with our oldest son and found much better retention and understanding in grammar once we switched to Rod and Staff.

As far as American Pioneers and Patriots goes, the newest edition is quite different from the previous version. CLP added additional content to the end of each chapter, additional questions, pictures, and maps. We do not have a schedule for the old version of that particular book, as the two versions are quite different from one another. You may wish to consider purchasing the new version of the book for $9.95 on our website, in order to get the full benefit of the corresponding activities that match the history readings each day. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Judy, thanks for the info with the dates!

Carrie, Thanks for your help! I think I can make my way with the book I have, but if it gets too confusing it's nice to know there is a cheap solution waiting for me! I have some time to make my decision about grammar for my oldest son. I could start something new with him after we finish FLL3, or I could let our Latin be our grammar for now and wait until fall to start something new. Since he's 4th grade now I don't want to go back to R&S 3 unless I really have to. I'm sure FLL3 is more gentle than R&S, but I think since he's already finishing 4th grade, going to R&S 4 is already almost a grade behind. In fact, it might be a good idea to get R&S 4 and start it now as that would give us nearly a year and a half to do it. Your advice is helping me think through these options!

Julie, thanks for describing how you use R&S - I'm definitely marking this and printing it out. That was really helpful! As far as math goes - the funny thing is that we have never used the blocks as much as we're supposed to - particularly with my mathy ds - he never wants to use them.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help! We've had a great week! If I was handier with taking pictures and uploading them I would share what a great week we've had. The really cool thing was after we did the "blubber" experiment (putting veg. shortening on one hand in cold water) we had blubber mentioned in our biography reading (COFA: Teddy Roosevelt) and on top of that the slow readings are teasing my oldest son enough that he's finally reading a different bio on T.R. that I've been trying to interest him in all year. Making shields today led us to making swords and helmets and reading about the armor of God in Eph. Everyone's having a great time! Thank you so much!

Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3