Waiting on recommending Teaching Textbooks...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jewel7123

Re: Waiting on recommending Teaching Textbooks...

Post by jewel7123 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:24 am

Is there something else out there that is similar to TT in format and the way it teaches? (Explaining every problem, tutoring you, etc.)
Jennifer in TX

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:24 pm

jewel7123,

This Kinetic Books Algebra I curriculum has some similar traits and looks thorough. We will definitely be researching it much further. Here is the site: http://www.kineticbooks.com/index.html We understand there are plans underway for Algebra II (which is being tested now) and for a Pre-Algebra at some point. No projected release dates are available for the Algebra II or Pre-Algebra.

Ladies,

Thanks so much for your prayers. We are very appreciative as we seek the Lord's best.

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, Carrie. I echo the grateful responses you've gotten already in that you've done so much research while making your guides! :-)
I was trying to figure out how to pay for TT for my older boys, and it just didn't "feel" right to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

jewel7123

Post by jewel7123 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Carrie,

Just wondering if you've looked into this program for math?

http://www.aleks.com/
Jennifer in TX

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Jennifer,

Yes, I am familiar with ALEKS. It is a good program for helping kiddos fill a gap or for reteaching concepts that are shaky for kiddos. It functions better as a supplemental program or as a program for finishing out a year or for getting kiddos up-to-speed in math, rather than as a complete math program. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 pm

I just came across this by accident and thought I'd pass it along Carrie for your thoughts :) http://hmlt.hmco.com/DM.php
All I have gathered about it is it is similar in scope and sequence to Saxon meaning one would need to use the next higher level for their child's grade. It does look fun and comprehensive though.

And another I found is http://www.thinkwell.com

And Cathy Duffy likes this one YourTeacher.com

I wasn't searching for these, but since they found me, I thought I mention them!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Tamara,

Yes, we're familiar with these as well. We're looking at all possible options. Houghton-Mifflin is very much a public school textbook company. In all major textbook publishers, a team of writers will write the material, there is often not a big difference scope and sequence-wise among the major textbook companies, and they are very difficult to get any support from in the homeschooling arena. Public schools are their target audience, and this is a red-flag for us as the examples, problems, and instructions are written for a classroom setting. :D

As far as Thinkwell goes, Sonlight currently carries this product and provides a very thorough review of its pros and cons. With the cons that they are listing, we're not comfortable having this be a big consideration for us at this time. :wink:

As far as YourTeacher.com goes, it used to be called Algebra Classmate (and now has a new name). The courses are also now only available online. Since this was listed in Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Picks, we have also been weighing this one as a possible option. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 pm

That's for sharing your thoughts on these. I see the problem with Math Destination and just read what Sonlight says about Thinkwell :? I see why those aren't tops on your list! I had never heard of these before so I'm glad you really know your stuff! :D

I look forward to hearing more of your math thoughts. You're doing such an incredible job! You make being a homeschooling mom so much easier! Thanks for your hard work!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:22 am

Carrie, have you contacted the author of TT to see what he has to say about Dr. Jay's criticism? I used to have the very good explanation saved, but somehow I have lost it, otherwise I would have posted it here. Wasn't this guy a tutor at Harvard? I do know that TT is recommended by many big name folks and it was a god-send for us. I feel like it did the job well. I do admit that we only used it for Geometry. I do have plans on using it for my lo coming up when she hits Alg 1. It is reasonably priced and doesn't require my aged brain cells to attempt to learn higher math. :lol:
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Susie,

There is a very lengthy standard response to Dr. Wile's concerns from the authors of Teaching Textbooks that is readily available almost everywhere on the internet. The authors have already responded in saying that the missing concepts Dr. Wile listed (in Algebra I and II) are eventually covered in Pre-Calc and Calc.

Although I read and agreed with much of what the authors of TT had to say in their response to questions over rigor, my concern lies with the scope and sequence of Teaching Textbooks Algebra I and II, which cannot be changed. I remain concerned with the level of Algebra coverage and the amount of time devoted to review, as opposed to time devoted to new concepts. These things can't be changed by a response from the authors, as they are within the structure of the program. So, I find there's no need to contact TT with similar concerns that many others have expressed already and receive the same explanation I've already seen many times. :D

I am still continuing to use TT7 with my son this year, and am still pleased overall with the coverage. There are just some red flags that I came upon this year that had me researching TT into high school (which caused me to realize I need to research high school options futher) making sure the math path we recommend in the middle school years gels well with where we desire to end up in high school. :wink:

We have not made any set decisions at this point and will continue to research for at least another year. At this point, it appears we will be looking in other directions for at least the Pre-Algebra/Algebra path. :D

I am well-aware that many moms may choose to use TT for high school and be very happy with their decision. We have not completely ruled it out ourselves! I agree that TT fills a needed niche in the homeschooling community and is a blessing for many families. I find that whenever we make a recommendation to the general homeschooling community though, it is very necessary that we are overly careful with our choices to make sure that we have kiddos from all walks of life as well prepared as possible for what is ahead for them. It is a fine line to balance academic rigor with empowering families to complete God's calling upon them to homeschool. We strive to meet that balance in the resources we recommend, and this is why we will proceed with great care in the area of math. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:07 pm

I see now where you are coming from. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:41 pm

If TT not introducing certain math concepts needed for science is the only issue you have found, and you otherwise like it, Beginnings Publishers (they do the Rainbow Science) have Bridge Math which is just a 7 week course to prep for higher level science courses. It says it includes many concepts that you really need to succeed in upper level sciences going into highschool. I hope to use it with my kids the summer after 8th grade regardless of which math program we end up using. I really like TT and hope that there's still hope for it if this addition would help! :) (I'm also quite the fan of the Kinetic Math you mentioned :) )
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm

I really don't know what we're going to end up going with either. I thought we may just switch back to Saxon...but after looking at TT again, I do really like the fact that it is taught to the student, and they can see exactly how to work a problem if needed. I may go through it myself if we end up using it! I could have used something like that when I was learning math...maybe I would be better at it now. :? Anyway, just wanted to come back on and say thanks to Carrie and everyone else who has addressed this math issue. There's so much involved in choosing the 'right' program...I am glad for the thoughts of others that help me in my decision making. :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Tamara,

I had to smile, as we must be on the same wavelength! I recommended the Bridge Math earlier in this thread to fill-in any possible math gaps in order to do Chemistry. :wink:

inHisTiming,

I am with you on the ease-of-use of TT! I too agree that math is a VERY important area, especially as we have all boys at our house. :wink: Math is a very important part of any career, and since one day my boys will be men who will need to provide for their families, I don't want them to be at a loss in that area. :D

This is why we've decided that more time is what is really needed to make the "best" overall decision. I know that as time passes there will be more feedback, more reviews, more information available as to how some of these programs do in the long run. Right now, many of them are so new that it is hard to get any consensus on their long-term performance. :wink:

We're leaning pretty heavily toward recommending Singapore all of the way through 6A/6B. Even with the use of the rod system the amount of higher level thinking required to solve the problems is very rigorous! There are fewer problems, giving plenty of time to really dig into the problems and work through them.

The 5A/5B and 6A/6B Singapore books are much thinner and have fewer, more in-depth problems. We will most likely carry the Home Instructor's Manuals for 5A/5B and 6A/6B for reference as needed, as they provide complete step-by-step solutions to the Textbook problems and some hints on explaining concepts that are helpful.

We will most likely recommend Teaching Textbooks 6 and 7 as a back-up option for those kiddos who are not successful with Singapore Math, however we'll only carry the Singapore Math. As far as what will follow after Singapore 6A/6B, well that is the million dollar question for now! :lol: We're finding that most families go right into Algebra I, after Singapore 6A/6B so that leaves us considering Algebra I options. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:51 pm

I would just like to encourage you in your thought of carrying the 5A/B & 6A/B teacher's manuals. These are the two levels that I needed them. On the other hand, we must be the exception, because we completed Pre-Algebra after 6A/6B. We do Pre-Algebra in 7th, Algebra I in 8th. I would not want to do Algebra before 8th, and sometimes I have even questioned not waiting until 9th. With my oldest, Algebra I, although he got A's, was a stretch for him. When he hit 15, a lightbulb went off and Algebra 2 has been easier.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.