Science Opinions Please?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Science Opinions Please?

Post by deltagal » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:38 pm

HI there,

I've been pouring through the message board to find out about HOD Science. I've found a few comments here and there, but not enough... Tell me. Tell me. How do you like the science portion? Is it living? Is it engaging? How does the hands-on pieces correlate? And what's the ebb and flow? If it's not coming together...how would you improve upon it? I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch.

With Joy!
Florence
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

GingerN

Re: Science Opinions Please?

Post by GingerN » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:27 pm

Hello Florence. I was just reading your other post and wanting to chat with you! Welcome. I have used several MFW levels, including a portion of ECC several years ago(I was most discouraged with that program in particular). I just want to say that my girls and I are absolutely loving HOD! We are using Bigger with 2 of our daughters. The history readings have been interesting and my girls (ages 9 and almost 11) have learned so much already and are retaining what they have learned as well. Each day there is a different kind of activity (which is a big plus for us!), like drawing a map for geography, doing a science experiment, painting or drawing, adding things to a timeline, etc. They music time has been a real blessing to hear them singing hymns from their hearts. We have pondered over the beautiful poems, and especially loved the science lessons! The books are beautiful and we have loved every simple experiment we have done together. The 'Square Foot' books are fantastic and have become favorites to look at. They have drawn beautiful science pictures and diagrams and written scripture verses. This is a very Christ-centered curriculum that weaves all the subjects together in a way that MFW didn't seem to do (for us, anyway). BTW, we are using Rod and Staff grammar for grade 3 for them both. It is a fantastic program, but tends to be advanced, so I started with that level to be sure they both had a solid grounding and were not frustrated. I sit on the couch between them and we do it orally. Quick, simple, and very effective! I pray that the Lord will direct you as you make the transition to HOD. Be assured that the world geography will be covered in HOD as the countries are studied in history. We have already done quite a bit of lovely map work. Perhaps you could pull out a lesson or two from ECC as you are learning about that area in HOD. Just a thought. I must run since it's bedtime. Blessings and peace~
Ginger

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:58 pm

Florence,

I don't think I've had a chance to welcome you yet, so.... :D :D Welcome :D :D ! I'm not sure what levels you're looking at specifically. I'm using Bigger this year, so that's what I can tell you about. :wink:

We love the science. (My ds is truly enjoying all of Bigger, and if I asked him to pick a favorite part I'm not sure what he'd say. But, I know science would be toward the top of his list! :D )

It is uses wonderful living books. (My ds is 8 and we had limited textbook style science up till now...besides what we explored on our own.)

It's definitely engaging! Weekly there are 2 days where we have a short reading with narration, 2 days with a reading followed by an experiment (1 of those is recorded in their science notebook), and a notebooking entry diagramming something they've learned. We like all of it, but the experiments are the highlight! We LOVE them! Now, I've always thought that experiments are wonderful in theory but actually getting around to doing them was another story. :roll: :oops: I just couldn't get around to doing great experiments that took a lot of time or required supplies that I didn't have around the house. Enter HOD... My ds is thrilled with science (and history) this year because we do the fun experiments because they use things I have on hand and they're quick and easy and meaningful! Honest. Here are a few pictures of my ds doing science this year...
Grant's 1st notebooking page of high and low tide.
ImageImage
Which helps objects float better - fresh water or salt water?
ImageImage
Experimenting with different "beaks" and what they're most useful for...
ImageImage
Getting a visual on the planets in relation to the sun and each other...
ImageImageImage

Hopefully that gives you an idea of HOD science (even though we're only on unit 9). This was a past thread that I thought did a good job of explaining it, too. Maybe it'll help you!viewtopic.php?f=12&t=356&p=2389

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi Florence,

Can you tell us the ages of your dc and/or the HOD guides you are considering?

God Bless,
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:21 am

Can you tell us the ages of your dc and/or the HOD guides you are considering

Good morning -

Yes, I've been looking at all the guides. My children are 4, 7, 9, 11. However, as of this morning and with lots of prayer and research I'm leaning towards Beyond with my 7 and 9 year old. Although I do think Bigger would be the perfect fit for my 9 year old (especially the Science) I can easily tweak Beyond to work for him, as well. And Beyond is definitely a perfect fit for my 7 year old. My 11 year old would go into Preparing. And my 4 year old will be in Little Hands.

With Joy!
Florence
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Florence,

One of the things I like about the science is how it ties so well into the Bible Story and/or Bible Reading and the History. It has the Biblical Worldview weaved in that means so much to me that I was not sure could be accomplished at such a young age, but HOD has figured out how to do it ! Add in the Charlotte Mason methods and it is darn near perfect ! Okay, Okay, I might be sounding a little "in love" and "infatuated", so I have to admit I still am. :oops: We have only been doing our LHFHG since August 27th and I cannot imagine doing anything else. I will suggest that when starting, you might think about going at half pace the first two or three units just so you can "get to know" the guide and the materials: like do the left page one day and the right side the next. That was THE BEST advice I saw on the message boards when we first started. And give it time to become a part of your daily routine.

I'm not sure I answered your questions, but I hope you will keep us posted.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:40 am

Thank you so much everyone. Love the pics! YOu've all helped me a great deal get a better picture of the Science. It sounds great!

With Joy!
Florence
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009