Singapore Math ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaBear23Cubs

Singapore Math ?

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:32 pm

I am wanting to give Singapore math a try with my current 2nd grader. I will need 1B according to the placement tests. Which one is next 2A or 2B? One their site is says grade 2 is 1B and 2A and then 3rd grade is 2B and 3A. I think I saw thru this site you order in sets. Textbooks and workbooks together. 1B and 2B in a set and 1A and 2A in a set. I am sure this is simple but my brain just isn't working for me. I am starting my daughter in Beyond in March/APril once I get all that I need.
edited to add-duh, I forgot I posted befoe about this. Should I get the textbook also or just the workbook?

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:48 pm

2A would be the next level after 1B.
I am just finishing up 1A and will start 1B. I have a suggestion though - for what it's worth. Singapore has a different approach than many other programs. Mental math is stressed early. My son already can add and subtract double digit by single digit problems in his head - like 17-8 and 13+5. Children are taught to make a group of ten and a group of extras. So for the example of 13+5, you would take 3 from the 13 and add it to the 5, so the new problem would be 10+8. For the other example of 17-8, you would separate the 17 into 10 and 7. Since you can't take 8 from 7, you would take the 8 from the 10, leaving 2, which you add to the 7 to get a difference of 9. Obviously, you know how to do these problems. I only show you them because most programs don't teach mental math strategies to do these kinds of problems in their heads, especially at such a young age. I'm amazed at how much my 6yo ds can do mentally!

All that to say - you may want to consider starting your child with 1A and just fly through it as she is able. That way she would be introduced to the strategies of mental math. Most of it she would find easy, but if not introduced to these strategies, she may get very frustrated with 1B. If you did 1A and 1B this year, you could start with 2A when you begin with Beyond, which is what I'm doing next year. I would suggest getting the parent manual. It's great for helping you start your lesson with manipulatives, games, etc.

Again, take my suggestion as just that - a suggestion. I think Singapore is an awesome program.

Laura

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:58 pm

MamaBear23Cubs,

Laura did a great job of answering your questions! :D I'll just pop in to mention that if you have the "Beyond..." guide you will only need the workbook for 1B as the hands-on lessons in Beyond..." replace the need for the 1B Textbook. However, if you do not have the "Beyond..." guide, you will need both 1B Workbook and 1B Textbook.

The same is true once you get to "Bigger Hearts..". If you have the "Bigger..." guide you will only need Workbook 2A, because the hands-on lessons replace the Textbook 2A. If you don't have the "Bigger...." guide when you get to 2A, you will need both Workbook and Textbook 2A.

Some moms purchase "Beyond..." or "Bigger..." just to have the math lessons as it also saves them having to purchase the Singapore Textbooks.

Hope that helps! Let me know if that was as clear as mud! :lol:

Blessings,
Carrie

netpea

good advice

Post by netpea » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:59 pm

Laura gave you great advice. I would second that. I think it would be better to fly through 1A and have some sense of mastery before you dive into 1B.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 pm

I agree with Laura, Lee Ann, and Carrie as well! The hands-on math activities are awesome in Beyond... and Bigger..., so if you're getting either of those, be sure to utilize them if you can!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:06 pm

As in guides you mean the book, right? I do have all the books just not the extras that go with them. So since I do have the book, just buy the workbook.

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm

My dd never got the mental math In 1A so she really struggled in 1B. Its totally worth redoing (reviewing) anything she already knows in 1A to get those lessons in.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:38 pm

MamaBear23Cubs,

You're right! :D If you've got the "Beyond.." and "Bigger..." guides all you would need is the Singapore workbooks for whatever levels you end up doing.

Blessings,
Carrie

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Carrie wrote:MamaBear23Cubs,

You're right! :D If you've got the "Beyond.." and "Bigger..." guides all you would need is the Singapore workbooks for whatever levels you end up doing.

Blessings,
Carrie
Oh wow, you mean I don't "Need" to do the textbook part. I didn't realize that. I thought it was redundant but figured I was supposed to do it anyway. Yay, one less thing to do each day!

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:22 am

Well we will see how it goes. I just oredered the workbooks for our trial run. Yeah on less book(textbook) in my command central. I have a portable command central, it's the Desk Apprentice from Staples. Another HSer has one and really likes it. It's my second one because the first one broke. Hope this one is better. It's a bit big but everything I need fits into it for all three kids.
thanks again.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:04 am

Lee Ann,

As long as you're teaching the hands-on lessons that are written into our guides for "Beyond..." and "Bigger...", you don't need to use the Singapore textbooks. This would be for Singapore 1A/1B and 2A/2B. If you have 3A/3B, you'll need the textbooks, because there aren't hands-on lessons in our guides for those!

Hope that helps clear things up!

Blessings,
Carrie