Considering HOD - please help with questions . . .

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Momofsix

Considering HOD - please help with questions . . .

Post by Momofsix » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:13 pm

We've homeschooled our six dc for seven years now, using a mish-mosh of things, including SL for literature/history. I've been looking into DITHOR for next year, and was hoping you ladies would help me with questions?

I would be using HOD with a second and sixth grader. I was almost decided on DITHOR, but then started looking at Preparing Hearts for His Glory, and was wondering if that might suit us as well. I guess I'm just having trouble seeing the big picture of HOD. My impression is that up until DITHOR, HOD is pretty much all inclusive, including language arts and history. I would love to keep my two dds together next year, and it looks like Preparing Hearts might fit the bill. I was originally planning on doing two SL cores next year.

However, when you get to DITHOR, am I to understand that it just covers reading/literature and possibly some writing? Do you use what you want for history? Does the author plan on coming out with new volumes like Preparing Hearts, but for the higher grades? I really love a literature approach to history. What do some of you moms using DITHOR use for history?

Also, can you buy the optional book list as a download?

Any feedback you ladies have would be very much appreciated.

thanks!!
lisa

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi Lisa! It's very nice to meet you! I have used all of the HOD programs and LOVED them! This year we're doing Little Hearts..., Bigger..., and DITHOR. I'll try to answer your questions here...

You are exactly right in your observation...
My impression is that up until DITHOR, HOD is pretty much all inclusive, including language arts and history.

You are also right in this comment...
When you get to DITHOR, am I to understand that it just covers reading/literature and possibly some writing?
*DITHOR studies all 9 of the genres, the story elements (i.e. plot, comparison/contrast, setting, etc.), Godly character traits, prereading skills, guided literature discussions, vocabulary activities, and projects. I have also used it for writing. When we studied Biography, for example, I had the children write a short biography, following the key elements listed in DITHOR. This was my own idea though, there is so much wonderful learning already going on with DITHOR that this is not really necessary unless you want to add more writing.
Here?s a great post about DITHOR:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=193

Does the author plan on coming out with new volumes like Preparing Hearts, but for the higher grades?
Yes, the author has plans to write a curriculum each year (she's writing for her own children as they grow) through eighth grade for sure. There was a post on this, but I am not finding it. If anyone knows where that is, could you post that link for Lisa please?

For your question...
Can you buy the optional book list as a download?
No, I don't think you can.

About this comment...
I would love to keep my two dds together next year, and it looks like Preparing Hearts might fit the bill.
I was wondering if you had checked out the placement chart yet? I've always found that to be right on target for my children. I'd love to hear any insight you get from that, and then I'd be glad to get back to you with any questions you may have. I know other moms will chime in then too! Here is a link to the placement chart:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

So glad you're here and I'll watch for your post!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi! i'm a former Sonlighter, and if you like SL, i think you'll enjoy this curriculum
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:39 pm

Welcome! I am also a mom of six. I have no more new wisdom than was listed above :D but just wanted to say that next year I will be using preparing with a child who by then I hope to be on the second grade level (she is delayed) and one who will definitely be sixth grade level and a few in between. This year we are using LHFG for my two youngest and just started BHFG four the rest. We have done a little DITHR but now just moved them to the full DITHR program for the three that are capable of it.

We love everything we have tried with HOD. We have kids ages almost 4-10. My plan is that my kids will use HOD until 8th grade when it ends. It's a great program.

Sometimes the placing takes a while to figure out but it is really worth it. The program is awesome! I know you will be getting lots of answers. Just wanted to say welcome form another mom of six!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Momofsix

Thanks, ladies. . .

Post by Momofsix » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm

I've looked at the placement chart, and I think Preparing Hearts would be a good fit for them. I'm thinking of buying DITHOR to use for the rest of the year, since I'm kind of floundering between curriculums and I would love to just focus on good literature and different genres of writing. Then I think I can start Preparing Hearts next year. By then, maybe the next level will be out. My dds are ages 2-10, but I mainly am looking for my 7 and 10 year old now. Of course, Little Hands looks wonderful . . .

Is there no sample for Preparing Hearts? I didn't see one on the website, unless I'm missing it. I'd really love to look at a sample week.

I'm really glad I decided to seriously look at HOD. I've been torn between SL and doing my own thing, and I think this will be perfect. The only bummer is I sold a bunch of curriculum and have a balance on my paypal account which I was planning on using, but just realized they don't take paypal. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

lisa

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:18 pm

:-) for a fee paypal will cut you a check of what is in your account.
I know I know its not the best solution...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:06 pm

Also for a small fee, I think PayPal will send the money directly to your bank account. Then you could send Carrie a check or use your debit card? You'll have to read the PayPal policy to find out for sure. :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Lisa,

I just wanted to pop in and say, "Welcome"! The ladies on the board are so uplifting and encouraging, arent' they! :D The Sample Layout of a day for Preparing Hearts... will be up in March with the Sample Week up by early April. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The ladies are great about chiming in, and I frequent the board too!

We're glad to have you on the board!

Blessings,
Carrie