Help me compare HOD and MFW

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RedTulipMom

Help me compare HOD and MFW

Post by RedTulipMom » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:27 pm

I know there are other threads here on this subject but i want my own thread so i could ask questions as needed.

I am really torn between HOD and MFW. i have looked through both catalogs and have read extensively on both message boards yet i still don't know which will be best for my kids. They both seem so similiar. It is so hard to make a decision without seeing the TM .

Here is what i was looking for...

CM methods (short lessons, narration, dictation, nature study, picture study)
chronological history
easy lesson plans
4 day work schedule (in Illinois we have a gym requirement so we go to gym group 1 day per week)
combining my children or short enough programs to do 2
living books rather than textbooks

i have a 4 yr old son that is PDD-NOS (highly functioning autistic) and a 17 mos old daughter that i plan on homeschooling. I am also open to the possibility of having 1 or two more children. (this plays into my decision and why i need to combine children or have short enough programs).

My 4 yr old is in the public school special ed program in his 2nd yr of pre-school right now and still getting speech and OT. I plan on bringing him home next year for his kindergarten year, but am thinking of keeping him in pre-school for another year (doing little hands) but even that i am not sure of..whether he will be ready for K at age 5 or age 6. Part of me wants to order the pre-k program right now and just do it this year while he continues going to his special ed program and then starting the K program next yr when he is 5...not sure. arghhh...

anyway...could you give me the reasons i should do HOD instead of MFW? Anyone here that has used both programs and prefers HOD and if so, WHY?

I also wanted to ask if the history is in chronilogical order? Can someone give me an overview of each years history in a nutshell. Also, can i get a simple overview of the science?

Do you feel HOD LA is enough? how do you like the R&S grammar? Do you use it?

I have a headache right now and can't think. sorry. Just give me your thoughts...thanks.
Karen
wife to Michael
Mom of 3:
Joe 20 yrs (in his own apt as of last month)
Luke 4 yrs (pdd-nos) LHTH and Kumon wkbks
Anna 23 mos LHTH tag-a-long and loves to color (well scribble anyway)

AboveRubiesMama

Re: Help me compare HOD and MFW

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:39 pm

You sound SO MUCH like me!!! I started a thread below on comparing MFW to HOD with our crazy therapy schedule.

I haven't used HOD yet (but I'm getting close!) but I HAVE used MFW K and it was a disaster with my oldest (who is typically developing). I don't see it working with my son (SN) at all.

We plan to use HOD for his Kindergarten but I'm trying to decide between Little Hearts or Little Hands. The thing about Little Hands is that it can be done with my 3rd child, who is only 18 months younger than my son. I'm also waiting to hear back from his therapists to see what they recommend.
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Have you read through this thread yet?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1446

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:24 am

Hi RedTulipMom,

I totally understand your dilemma. Both programs seem so wonderful. I have to honestly tell you that one is not better than the other. It's finding the one that works best for your family. :D I can share from my personal experience and I wrote a long post to AboveRubiesMama about why I use HOD with my special needs boys that you can check out :wink:

Personally, I found for me that HOD is broken down a little better into bite size pieces. This is the single most important thing when I am considering a program. Because bite size pieces = consistency! I am a big believer that small steps of consistency will gain me more results than BIG occassional spurts. I used MFW for one month and the problem I found was that some days were very heavy and other days were very light. I couldn't plan as well. With HOD I pretty much can set aside the same amount of time everyday. Prior to HOD the only programs I would find that could offer me the daily bite size pieces were traditional programs. I used them and I appreciate them so much, but HOD gives me those FUN, forever memories I experience with my children.

I found out after we were happily using HOD that the reason Carrie plans it so perfectly (time management wise) is because of the way she writes each program. After she puts the program together,her oldest son Cole becomes her test pilot. She goes from wearing the author hat, to the mommy hat and uses the whole program for an entire year before releasing it to the public. This allows her to make any last minute tweaking. Since she is the Mama of four sons, one of which is two. She is able to view it through the eyes of a mom first and not just an author. Things like time management will be just as important to her as it is to us. Carrie approaches her writing as an author and a teacher, but she then puts on her Mama hat and test drives it for us. I think this is what makes HOD unique. I know from personal experience that my plans can look good on paper and once in the application stage of actually using it, I see that I was being a bit unrealistic.

I also love the "Key Idea's". I think this is one of the most POWERFUL parts of HOD. Everyday I can open my HOD manual and before we even begin our reading or project Carrie has given us a "Key Idea" that tells us the purpose of why were reading or doing a particular project. This is a powerful tool for the teacher as it allows us to keep the purpose or main idea right up front, but in the midst of all the feedback/narration, reading and doing we don't have to worry about the main idea getting lost. We can simply look at our manual go from there.

I hope these things help you to know if this is what your looking for or not. I understand the frustration of being torn in two looking at different programs. Know this, no matter which one you choose you can't go wrong. Blessings to you and your family...., (((Big Hugs)))
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

AboveRubiesMama

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:36 am

MamaMary wrote: I know from personal experience that my plans can look good on paper and once in the application stage of actually using it, I see that I was being a bit unrealistic.
This is something that's really helping draw me to HOD. I'm really excited. I have stressed over the past couple of years regarding what it is I'm going to do with my son. I just don't see him doing the traditional route but he needs exposure to things as well. It's also difficult because we have such a crazy schedule with lots of therapies that can often change each week.

I love to schedule and plan. MFW (in theory) would be perfect for our family, I'm sure, but in reality would things get done? I like the way the HOD manuals are set up--with the bite size portions and small sqares. It doesn't feel overwhelming. Already, I feel excited about next school year. I can imagine fitting in 10 or 15 minutes before running to therapy, spending 10 or 15 minutes going over something in the van, etc. (I said our schedule is nuts).

It also excites me because I've always been drawn to the CM way of doing things, but have had difficulty putting it into action without it seeming overwhelming. In reality, sitting down for hours straight is just NOT going to happen in our family. We've learned to weave school into our daily life and while we're getting in the 3 R's, I feel we're lacking a lot of fun, creative things and we're definitely lacking some hands on science and history lessons. So for me, HOD will help make the CM approach a part of our school!
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:31 am

Hi RedTulipMom,

I hope you are getting all your questions answered! Glad to see you made it to the boards! :)

Tamara
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:41 pm

Here's a very recent thread running on the same topic that you might enjoy:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2083

I fixed it! :oops:

Blessings,
Carrie

RedTulipMom

Post by RedTulipMom » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:49 pm

Carrie wrote:Here's a very recent thread running on the same topic that you might enjoy:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2092

Blessings,
Carrie
ummm..the link brings me to THIS THREAD...lol :lol: :P
Karen
wife to Michael
Mom of 3:
Joe 20 yrs (in his own apt as of last month)
Luke 4 yrs (pdd-nos) LHTH and Kumon wkbks
Anna 23 mos LHTH tag-a-long and loves to color (well scribble anyway)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:47 pm

I fixed the link! :oops:

Blessings,
Carrie