Math question Beyond/Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Math question Beyond/Bigger

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:42 am

I'm using Beyond with Singapore Math 2A/B instead of 1A/B. I see there is a schedule for using 2A/B in place of 1A/B, but what about the activities? I saw on the online samples that there are different math 2 activities in Bigger. What do I do now for activities in Beyond? When we get to Bigger, we'll be in Singapore 3 instead of 2 so it will be the same issue. If you've had the same situation, what did you do? She really needs the activities to cement the concepts and I'm just not that creative to come up with my own! LOL

TIA!!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

lmercon

Re: Math question Beyond/Bigger

Post by lmercon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi,
I'm in the same boat as you with my ds. I wasn't sure if I should buy the Bigger guide and just use the math or not. I ended up just buying the Singapore Home Teacher's Guide. It provides some activities and games to introduce or reinforce the concepts. I think they are about $15 each. You would need one for 2A and one for 2B. It is working out just fine for me. I follow Carrie's schedule in the back.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:32 pm

There are no activities scheduled for Math in the guides once your child gets to Singapore 3A. I am doing Bigger with my ds 10 and dd 8...ds is using 3B, and dd is using 2A. So, we use the activities with dd if it's something she has not done before, otherwise we just go right to the workbook pages. I'm sure once we hit something unfamiliar the activities will be very helpful for teaching concepts! My ds just does his lessons, with no Math activities. So far, it has been fine; but then he wasn't used to having activities anyway due to this being his first year with HOD. That's what we're doing...sorry if it wasn't much help. :? If there are activities in the Singapore guide as the pp said, maybe you should check those out.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:37 pm

I agree with Laura that you probably want some extra teaching help at that age. The hands-on activities in Bigger... helped my ds realIy do well with Singapore and gave him a great foundation for doing math without the hands-on activities later on. I think I would just buy Bigger... You're going to need it next year anyway, and it only costs $44.95, which will only be $15 more than buying (2) $15 Singapore textbooks. More bang for your buck! But that's just my 2 cents.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:52 pm

What about if spending the extra money isn't an option?? Does anyone have suggestions of activities to use for certain concepts that we might NEED activities at this age. She should be fine for most of 2A, but I know towards the end of 2A and into 2B, activities would be great.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Mom2Monkeys,

If finanaces allow, I personally would purchase the Bigger guide to have the activities. However, if that's not an option, I would just get out counters of some kind to illustrate the concepts in the Singapore textbook as you go along. We use Cheerios, raisins, crackers, silverware,crayons, markers, blocks, cotton balls, stuffed animals, and buttons for counters.

We write our place value charts on the markerboard or paper (hundreds, tens, ones). We use a clock with movable hands and count money with coins and dollars. It isn't hard to just plug in something to manipulate as you go over the textbook lesson. Then, have them do their workbook on their own and use the manipulative only if needed.

At the 2A/2B level we strive for hands-on 3 times a week. By the time you get to 3A/3B, you'll be surprised that your kiddos don't need it as much anymore and are more ready to get down to the business of computation and problem-solving without the manipulatives.

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:27 pm

Carrie wrote:Mom2Monkeys,

If finanaces allow, I personally would purchase the Bigger guide to have the activities. However, if that's not an option, I would just get out counters of some kind to illustrate the concepts in the Singapore textbook as you go along. We use Cheerios, raisins, crackers, silverware,crayons, markers, blocks, cotton balls, stuffed animals, and buttons for counters.

We write our place value charts on the markerboard or paper (hundreds, tens, ones). We use a clock with movable hands and count money with coins and dollars. It isn't hard to just plug in something to manipulate as you go over the textbook lesson. Then, have them do their workbook on their own and use the manipulative only if needed.

At the 2A/2B level we strive for hands-on 3 times a week. By the time you get to 3A/3B, you'll be surprised that your kiddos don't need it as much anymore and are more ready to get down to the business of computation and problem-solving without the manipulatives.

Blessings,
Carrie
Great ideas, Carrie, and I'll just add that looking at the hands-on activities that are already planned for 1A/1B will help give practical ideas how to use the materials suggested in Carrie's post.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie