starting Beyond and have copywork question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gingel

starting Beyond and have copywork question

Post by gingel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 pm

We are starting BLHFHG tomorrow and I can't wait! I haven't read far enough ahead in the manual to figure out how many copywork notebooks my daughter needs. I know she'll need one poetry. Does she also need one for history and/or science or any other subjects?

I'm new to copywork. Should my daughter use regular wide-ruled paper or conventional handwriting paper? Is there anything else I should be asking but I'm just too much of a newbie to know to ask? :D

Thanks! :D
~Gingel

First time user of DITHOR and BLHFHG with 7yo DD
LHFH with 4yo DS

skillet04

Re: starting Beyond and have copywork question

Post by skillet04 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:04 pm

we are just using one notebook and using a sheet for whatever activity, so ours will essentially be in order by week not subject. I don't require copywork of the poem because my son would complain as 10 words is "enough" ...but that's just my son.

hth
Swylv :cry:
Praying for another child since june 2002 -- you'd cry too, even DS cries to be a big brother.
DS 07/2001 -- BLHFHG for the 08-09 year
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 am

we have a dictation note book
a poetry notebook
and a language arts notebook for copy work and I use use a regular notebook.

for the poetry we don't always finish the poem as with my dd 3 lines is enough. :wink:
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:22 am

For copywork we have used both. I think it's just preference. In our case, we switched to handwriting paper for a while because dd could write more neatly on the larger lines.

gingel

Post by gingel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Tansy:

Is keeping track of 3 notebooks difficult or does it make things easier to have each subject separate? We may start by doing all of the copywork and then scale back if we need to. It depends on the day how much my daughter is willing to write.

What do you use your notebook for?

BTW, we did our first day today and it was SOOOO much fun! My dd kept asked for "more, more school!" I'm not sure that has happened before! Jumping/hopping/etc from continent to continent was the best!

Untieing 8) -
~Gingel

First time user of DITHOR and BLHFHG with 7yo DD
LHFH with 4yo DS

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm not in Beyond, but for our copywork I found some graded copywork paper online that I downloaded and we use that. Some of it has designs or pictures, some of it is plain, but it all has the dotted line in the middle. The older pages have smaller spaces and the younger has pretty large spaces, so there's only like four lines per letter-size sheet.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm

You could check http://www.donnayoung.org for copywork sheets. Or http://www.notebookingpages.com has some FREE resources, too.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

When we started Beyond..., we used handwriting paper with wide lines including the middle dashed line. Then we put it in a Poetry binder. About a third of the way into the year, we started using wide-lined notebook paper, but I made dark lines and dotted lines to "match" the old handwriting paper first, using 3 lines of wide-lined to write on, and skipping one line. After that, I put a faint dotted line in the middle of one of the wide-lined lines, and it helped him make the switch to notebook paper. I'll probably try that again with my second ds starting Beyond... in January. Hope that made some sense! :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 pm

Gingel,

She'll need something for her poetry copywork. She'll also need a place for her 34 science experiments and 34 science notebook entries. Then, she'll need a place for her 34 Bible verses. Last, she'll need a place for 34 history notebook entries and a different place for her vocabulary words. That is it! In the "Introduction" of "Bigger Hearts....", we give suggestions for each of these items. :D

At our house, we used loose-leaf paper for the poetry copywork and filed them in plastic page protectors in a "Copywork" Binder. We also used loose-leaf paper for the science entries and the history notebooking. We filed these in 2 separate binders, one for history and one for science. We used index cards in an alphabetized card file for vocabulary words and index cards on a spiral ring for the Bible verses. :wink:

You can choose to use any or none of these ideas!

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Gingel - I'm so glad that you're enjoying Beyond! :D I was just going to ask the same question as you about when to switch from using "handwriting" paper to normal wide-lined paper with kids. My son is going to be starting Bigger in about a week and is 8. So far he's really only used "handwriting" paper and I was looking for ideas about how to transition him...here they are! Julie, I think I'm going to steal your idea about bolding and dashing the lines on normal paper to start the year. Thanks! :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH