Hi and placement question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 pm

I was concerned about the same thing with my daughter. She is almost 4.5 and she could count to 20, knew 1-10 visually. She knew all her letters and letter sounds. She could write her own name. You know all the basics to start K. But after much encouragement with the ladies here, especially Julie, I decided I didn't want to miss out on LHTH. I am watching my daughter closely and if she is advancing quickly, I am going to double up days and finish sooner. I have activities that I am doing with her to begin to teach her phonics but at a much slower pace. I guess I just wasn't ready for my baby to grow up so soon. LOL

Good luck in you decision!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Gingel,

Welcome to the boards! The ladies are doing a terrific job of helping you talk through your options. It helps so much to talk with like-minded moms when making placment decisions! :wink:

One main thing to consider when choosing between LHTH and LHFGH is how ready your little sweetie will be for the readings. If your child has a tough time listening to short chapters with few to no pictures read aloud, then he may benefit from the year's growth that he would get with LHTH, prior to starting LHFHG. However, if he seems on the verge of doing many of the skills in LHFHG, then he could go that way, doing it at a slower pace. Also, if your son isn't pretty close to being 5, I don't know that I would jump into LHFHG, without first doing a readiness type program like LHTH.

You could easily add phonics to LHTH if needed. Just some food for thought. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

gingel

Re: Hi and placement question

Post by gingel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Sorry to keep drawing this out forever, but I think we are FINALLY going w/Little Hands. I like the thought of not rushing my son and just adding in the things he needs. It will be neat to see which parts he enjoys doing with his big sis in Beyond, too. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your input!
~Gingel

First time user of DITHOR and BLHFHG with 7yo DD
LHFH with 4yo DS