Has anyone done DITHR with two children?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Allison TX

Has anyone done DITHR with two children?

Post by Allison TX » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:33 am

I am wondering if anyone has used DITHR with two dc reading the same book and taking turns with the reading aloud? (my boys read at the same level)
I am trying to decide if this would add more to our discussions or if it is something that kids would get more out of working individually? Thanks!

Allison

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:49 pm

I thought of this recently...you could read from the same book and each child could have their separate narration time, like this:

1st child reads assigned page(s), then narrates while Mom and other child listen...other child may not interrupt...Mom may choose to ask other child questions, or not.

Then, 2nd child reads, narrates while Mom and dc 1 listen (dc 1 not interrupting) then Mom may ask dc 1 questions too if desired. Does that make sense?

I have to tell you, I haven't used DITHOR yet, we'll be starting this year., so I'm still trying to work out how I'll do this. Plus, my two are on separate levels, so it will be a bit different for us. :?

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 pm

We've always done separate books. It might work the way you describe-I know in my house they would never be able to keep still while the other one narrated to me! :lol:
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:51 pm

You could certainly try it and see how it goes. InHisTiming explained that well, and that could really work. I think it would depend on the personalities of the 2 children though. If they're silly together, competitive, or don't have the same interests in books, the drawbacks might begin to outweigh the benefits. Sometimes combining = easier; and other times, it just = harder. But, that totally depends on your kiddos, and I'd be willing to bet that you'd know pretty quickly after trying it if it was going to be a blessing or not. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie