Starting Emerging Readers Mid-Guide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HawaiianMoon4

Starting Emerging Readers Mid-Guide?

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 pm

I hope this isn't a silly topic, but I was curious: if a child seems like they will be ready for the emerging readers, but it is partway through a guide (in this case Beyond), should we wait until the next guide (Bigger), or start the Emerging Readers with the current guide? Would you begin from the first book even if we are half way through the units? I suppose we will be continuing phonics instruction as well, so perhaps that will make our school day too long. Thank you. :)
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

StephanieU

Re: Starting Emerging Readers Mid-Guide?

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:02 pm

You can start at anytime. Always start with the first ER book as they progressively get harder. My oldest started half way through LHFHG, alternating the books with phonics until she was ready to do both (and then just the ER books by the time she started Beyond). My second started near the end of Beyond, when he was done with phonics and finally reading somewhat fluently. He is now slowly starting Bigger and reading The Beginner's Bible (I chose to do both Bibles with him).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Starting Emerging Readers Mid-Guide?

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

Hooray for your little one reading so well! As StephanieU said so well already, the ERS can be started at anytime. With our son, who was exactly like your student in regard to finishing phonics and being ready to start the ERS mid-Beyond, we started and loved it! I think it's important to keep the ball rolling with reading, and if your little one is ready to start the ERS, I would start it now. Be sure to do the oral comprehension questions alongside the daily readings, as noted in your guide's Appendix. They are excellent prep for the next step in reading, which after the ERS will be DITHOR 2/3! Enjoy that ERS - it is such a joy to see our little ones taking off in reading, and that set is just pure fun to read!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie