Revival to revolution

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

Revival to revolution

Post by PoppyD » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi ladies
We are thinking about doing Revival to Revolution next year. I believe that is exactly where my daughter will place. We did CtC last year and are using a different curriculum this year for various reasons. I am contemplating a couple other options, including a local history and English class taught by a wonderful teacher. (All homeschoolers - coming from a biblical worldview) . Tell me why you love Revival to Revolution. I am supposed to turn in the application asap for this class so trying to make a decision quickly. My heart is leaning towards HOD I think. But this teacher is amazing - especially in his history class. I feel like my daughter would benefit so much from it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this particular HOD package.
Thanks so much!
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

PoppyD

Re: Revival to revolution

Post by PoppyD » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Oh and just FYI - we wouldn't do the science component because we have a small co-op option for that that we love along with families we are close to. But we would probably do all else as is. So don't need thoughts about the science

flackattack

Post by flackattack » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:09 pm

I just wanted to pop in and give my 2 cents. My daughter used Rev2Rev a few years back. It was her favorite year of homeschooling. She has told me many times that she learned and retained more using Rev2Rev than she did with any other curriculum before that. Here are some highlights from Rev2Rev... Both my daughter and I enjoyed the historical fiction and have fond memories of reading them together. My daughter specifically loved George Washington's World and enjoyed the Signers. Overall, I think it was just the balance of all the different resources and how they blended together. I hope others chime in, but I just wanted to share our experience! :)
Blessings,
Katie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:40 am

As I ponder why my dd likes RevtoRev, I think it boils down to the main reasons why we switched to HOD in the first place years ago. Every level is very interesting and with many fun things to do. My dd is in unit 11 right now and she made two different recipes for bread pudding. A few weeks back she made different tea cakes. I love the different art projects that she completes. As for the various books, my dd really likes the selection. I second that the George Washington book is great. My dd has learned so much about the styles that women used to wear (along with other fascinating historical information). She has take time several times to bring me her book and show me the things she is learning and this is very unprompted. Seems like she is really enjoying it. She also really likes the state book. She is constantly telling me something new that she is learning. Probably her favorite subject this year is the musical study. I was kind of surprised because my kids never really seemed into cutting and coloring. But she absolutely loves this activity.

All in all, we love so many aspects of HOD and I have found that my kids really do remember much of what they learn because of the activities they complete while they are learning. I know that sometimes it appealing to have kids learning something at a co-op rather than at home. I totally get it. We are in a co-op and I try teach a class each year but teach one of the HOD subjects my kids are learning. This year, my son and oldest are taking physical science and my co-op is using the same one from RevtoRev. This way my kids can take a class at co-op still use the same material. In the past I have taught DITHOR and my oldest really enjoyed it. Next year I might teaching writing using the HOD resources. But in general, I have found that with HOD, the kids really do learn a ton and with minimal help from me. HOD is a huge blessing to me because my kids enjoy learning that material assigned along with the fact that they are really learning it and retaining it. And my kids love my kids are learning, growing, building skills and enjoying it all at the same time.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks to you both for responding.
-poppy