Extension Pack directions-Revival to Revolution

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tpschettle

Extension Pack directions-Revival to Revolution

Post by tpschettle » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi, all.

I posted this question before and didn't get a response. I'm rephrasing it in case it wasn't clear before.

The extension pack instructions for Resurrection to Reformation indicate one day for a 5-sentence summary oral narration, one day for a 5-minute detailed oral narration, one day for a 3-paragraph summary written narration, and one day for a written narration (choice of detailed, summary, or a combination of both) with an opinion paragraph.

How are these skills expanded on in the Revival to Revolution extension package? Any details offered will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tina
Tina
Jn 14:1-3, Is 53:14

Jim's wife 22 years
16yo DS R2R, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RV2RV, MTMM
13yo DS Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RV2RV, MTMM

Arise, shine;
For your light has come!
And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
Is 60:1

Nealewill

Re: Extension Pack directions-Revival to Revolution

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:32 am

The way that HOD works is that each level introduces new skills. And then those new skills will be challenging at the beginning of the level but as kids move on, the skills that were introduced get easier and easier because kids get better and better at completing them. So they aren't necessarily changing the skills through out the year, they still are the same set of skills. But as the year goes on, they are mastering the skills making the activities easier to complete.

In addition, since HOD is CM style, these activities line up with this style of learning. Every time a child completes a subject (especially reading a book), they then do something with that information to help it stick. With younger kids, they are orally narrating and copying more. With older children, they still use oral narration but they are now more responsible to write up their own thoughts on the material and what stood out to them. With this guide, it looks like they are doing two oral activities and two written activities with their extensions pack weekly activities. And the type of activities that HOD chose lines up with their abilities to complete more complex and longer written assignments than kids that in the lower ages.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

tpschettle

Post by tpschettle » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks for your reply, Nealewill! :D You are an early riser!

We are in our 4th guide now. I've noticed this progression & appreciate it very much. It's one of the reasons I love this curriculum and am committed to make it work for our family. It builds steadily and deliberately upon skills laid down in the previous guide in a very gentle way. :)

In my previous post, I explained the situation with my son & how we actually backed up two guides so that my two boys are now learning the same material, and we are working together as a family. He's a good student, but just could not handle all the independent work in the higher guides. He has been completing the directions from the higher level guide's extension pack for several months and is starting to improve, but is simply reading extension pack books from a lower guide. I want his writing and narrating skills to keep building just like they would if he were still in the higher guide. That is the way the curriculum works, after all.

My question is this: what ARE the instructions the Rev. to Rev. guide gives the extension pack students? How many more paragraphs or sentences does it suggest for the written summary compared to Res. to Ref? How many more (or less) sentences for the summary oral narration? How much more time for the detailed oral narration? What suggestions, if any, are there for how to improve his opinion paragraph or these other methods of narrating?

If it were possible, and if I were sure I wasn't doing something wrong, :oops: I'd ask someone to simply photocopy that page of the guide and send it to me.

I apologize if this is all confusing.

Thanks very much,
Tina
Tina

Jim's wife 22 years

Arise, shine;
For your light has come!

tpschettle

Post by tpschettle » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks for reading! I have what I need via private message. :D

I'm glad I asked because the instructions added more than I would have thought. I guess that goes with what Nealewill said, that the instructions are challenging at first. :)

Have a blessed day, all!
Tina

Jim's wife 22 years

Arise, shine;
For your light has come!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:11 pm

Okay, great. I am glad you were able to get your question answered :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM