Should I combine the kids or keep them in seperate guides?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stephhaisty

Should I combine the kids or keep them in seperate guides?

Post by stephhaisty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:04 pm

I need some advice. I have two boys, ages 6 and 8. Right now we have the 6 year old doing some Abeka k5 phonics and math which he has been doing since Aguust. We just allowed him to start Little hearts. We didn't think he was mature enough and ready for everything at once. Last year at age 5, he did more preschool work and the first half of Abeka K5. Now he will easily do a few lessons of LH in one day. He was no where near ready and when that Im ready moment hit, he's taken off! Here is my problem. Up until this point my boys have LOVED learning together. Even though my little Kindergartener was not required to do more than phonics and math, he always sat and played while we finished school with the older sibling. He has sat in during his preschool year(age5) and listened to the history and science in Beyond. Now he is listening in to Biggers history and science. Again, I never asked him to sit with us. he just played in the room. To my surprise, he has picked up on a lot. Now that he is starting LHFG he doesnt want to do just LH. He is still wanting to sit in on his brothers history and science. This makes me wish I would have combined them last year in LHFG. I just didnt think the youngest was ready yet. Now, I am already planning and thinking on next school year. Generally, we shop used for many months before starting the new year. We are a low income family and it takes a while to piece it all together. Therefore, I need figure out what would be best for us for next year. I would LOVE to combine the kids since they enjoy it and it would make it easier on me. However, I am not sure how to do that. My oldest has completed Beyond and is now working on Bigger. We didn't learn about HOD until his first year year in Abeka. We switched for his 2nd grade year and have loved it. Would you combine the kids somehow in Heart of Dakota or just keep going with two guides? I definitely think it would be somewhat doable if I beefed up the material for my oldest. However, I do not want my youngest missing out on anything and i do not want to hold my oldest back either. I don't mind doing two curriculums if its best. Just looking for ideas. Thanks in advance!

StephanieU

Re: Should I combine the kids or keep them in seperate guide

Post by StephanieU » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:09 pm

With a 6yo, you would have to do Beyond probably to combine. Would repeating that guide make sense for your 8yo? Would you be willing and able to adjust the workload for him (since there are no extensions for that guide)? Although they may like to be together, would there be competition when you get to notebooking in Bigger?
Although my kids are close, they just are too competitive to combine. It is easiest for me to give them their own "special time alone with mom" for school work so they can play together outside of school.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:06 pm

My 5yo will do LHFHG next year (at 6 1/3 in September) for Grade 1. IMO, to expect a 6yo to do Bigger is way too much (my just-turned-8yo is in Beyond and it's a perfect fit; he's one I held back a year with his late birthday).

If you want to combine, Carrie always suggests to place your younger one in the appropriate guide, based on skills, then beef things up for the older one. Now that your older one has completed Beyond and Bigger, it would be difficult (IMO) to back things up (even with beefing up LA and Math and adding in some extras) for him to redo a guide (or two) until little brother is ready for Preparing.

My 2 cents is that letting them continue on with where they are at (Bigger -> Preparing; LHTH -> LHFHG, listening to big brother's readings as he likes, but not being the first one to narrate - if at all) will be the simplest, and easiest on all of you in the long run. Yes, little brother will hear all the stories (that he chooses to listen to the first time) twice (as do some of mine - and I have 3 back-to-back guides!) but when they do them for "their own school" they are expected to be responsible for narrating (in whatever format they are prompted) and therefore also learn the most. They are also then at a different maturity level and connect with the characters, concepts, ideas and events of history in a new and more mature way (than they would have/did as they listened when younger).

Whatever you decide, only you can know what is right for your family and, like every curriculum, HOD is a tool that you can choose to use as you see fit. However, (speaking from experience here) there are ways to make things much easier on ourselves and our children from the start, even if it isn't the way you had dreamed or wished or planned for things to work.

Blessings as you decide,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:45 am

I used to combine but I found it easier to let each of my children work at their own level. We have done HOD since LHFHG and my oldest is currently working through MTMM. I would encourage you to let your 6 year old work through LHFHG. It took me half a year to figure out the brilliance of the guide. Enjoy this time with your young ones.

I hope you will find contentment in whatever you choose to do.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:13 pm

I also have found keeping mine separate works best for me as well. My kids are all 1.5 years apart but I love having them work at their own pace.

Since your older son seems to have a much longer attention span, having them work separately is probably best. I started HOD 2 full years ago (so this is our 3rd year) and I found that my first year, I combine my son and youngest dd. My youngest dd could do a lot but it seemed like my son could do more. So I separated them. I didn't want to be waiting on anyone and I really prefer giving my kids individual attention as much as possible as they need it. Since your oldest will be working on writing and such next year, if it isn't a hardship, then I would just keep them separate.

There are many moms who have combine as well and had very successful years. If at some point you do feel like you need combine, then you will need to repeat a level. But one nice thing about CTC and up, the kids do SO much on their own that you are only spending about 1-1.5 hours with them per day. It is wonderful!!!!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM