Paper for painting--Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hs.mama07

Paper for painting--Bigger

Post by hs.mama07 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I just glanced at the guide for day 2 of Bigger tomorrow and noticed, in art, it says to use painting paper. I know so little about art...will heavy-weight construction paper work? If not, what should I be looking for and where can I get it cheap? :-D I thought I had all my supplies ready...guess I missed this one! :D

Thanks!!!

MelInKansas

Re: Paper for painting--Bigger

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Heavyweight construction paper is fine for the projects in Bigger. You don't need anything too special until doing the watercolors in CTC. One tip my daughter learned in a watercolor class here was to tape the paper down with masking tape to the table and let it dry that way, then it won't curl up while it's drying.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

cajunmomma3

Post by cajunmomma3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Construction paper will "work". Next time you run to walmart, or the like, you can look in the art department (sometimes by office supplies) and you will find paint paper. I found mine in a tablet and it was called Marker & Paint Paper. It was only a couple bucks. The benefit of the paint paper is it is thicker and won't "pill" up as easily as construction paper will if they keep going over the same area. Hope this helps! :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 pm

We used cardstock, which is similar to painting paper (I use it for card making and scrapbooking, so we always have white on hand). We are on Unit 10, and I don't think it has been asked for since, so I definitely wouldn't spend money on special paper now.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 am

We used the construction paper today and it seemed fine. I'll look around next time we're at the store and price out real painting paper. Sounds like we have plenty of time before it will be needed again! :-D Thanks so much for your replies!!

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:52 pm

We use cardstock as we always have that around.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)