Thankful for HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Motherjoy

Thankful for HOD

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Carrie, Mike, Julie and everyone else at HOD,

I just wanted to say thank you for the work that you do with this curriculum. We have eight children, and there is a 6 year gap between the oldest and the second. Just as my oldest was really needing a beefy education, the babies kept coming, and I felt like I was drowning. We switched to HOD in 4th grade with my oldest. We did Preparing over 2 years, and we've never looked back. This year he finished the WH guide, and I'm so amazed at how much he's learned. Truthfully, I've really failed, in that I have been handing him the guides and books for years, without doing much teaching at all. I was being pulled in so many directions with babies, toddlers, and high-risk pregnancies, that I really just had to let him sink or swim. Let me tell you, he has done so well. I can see that I needed to do more direct instruction in writing and math, but he has absolutely devoured every book that the WG and WH guides have suggested. I'm pleased with his education, the way that his subjects are interconnected and all point towards God. I definitely experienced a proud homeschool mom moment when I wrote up his high school book list, and realized how much reading he has done. He couldn't stop talking about The Scarlet Pimpernell, Les Miserables, and The Count of Monte Cristo. Of course, he made me read Animal Farm so we could discuss communism and the current political climate. That was a real treat.

He will be doing dual enrollment with a private Christian school next year, and I'm sad to not be ordering the new American History guide. I know that he will miss the wonderful books that Carrie chooses, of course, I may just have to supplement his college professor's syllabus. :D ;)

Thank you again for everything. Even though I haven't been as diligent and involved with him as I should have, I know that I never could have succeeded in homeschooling him without HOD all of these years. I look forward to using it over the years with all of my other children.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

my3sons

Re: Thankful for HOD

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:29 pm

MotherJoy - thank you so much for your words of encouragement here! :D God knew just what I needed to hear this Sunday, and He has blessed me through your post. I too feel like this is such a busy time in life, and I was just saying to Carrie and my mom this past weekend that I don't do the same things for Emmett (my youngest) that I did for Wyatt and Riley when they were his age. I am not reading to him before bed. I sometimes don't make it up to say goodnight until it is late, and he is asleep. I feel guilty all of the time about something - not enough time with my little one, too hard on my oldest ds, not talking enough with my middle ds, hardly seeing my dh sometimes, being irritable with those I love when I'm tired, not seeing my mom enough after my dad died, missing my oldest sister's b-day, squabbling over this or that decision with those I love when it really wasn't that big of a deal which way it went, and the list goes on and on and on. :cry: Your words remind me that it is going to be ok. That I just can't be perfect or do it all exactly right, but that at least when I am homeschooling, I am spending time in God's Word with my kiddos - spending time with my kiddos - reading/discussing/etc. with my kiddos - even if it is not perfect every time and even if it is sometimes rushed, it is always time well spent. It may just add up to 'enough' after all, right? I read your post and thought, 'now that is a good mom who is getting it right.' Not perfect, but right. I like that thought because I find it attainable too. Thank you for sharing what you have seen with your son - I find it very encouraging, and I am so very thankful. I will also share this thread with Carrie - I think she will be encouraged as well. And also with Mike - for we all need to be encouraged - and we all especially need it in these parenting years where it seems every decision is a big one. Thanks!!! :D :D :D

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Thankful for HOD

Post by Carrie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 pm

Motherjoy,

I cannot even begin to express to you what an encouragement your post was to me today. :D Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts about your son's homeschool journey using HOD. :D

Yours is a post I will return to again when the going gets tough. I can understand the feeling of drowning that you mentioned, as I've had it too. I can also identify with what you've shared about how you've educated your oldest son, out of necessity, as my oldest son's education was much the same way (but without the benefit of my having the HOD guides written). It is wonderful to look back on the road already traveled and see that the Lord walked with us and carried us when we could not travel on by ourselves.

Many blessings to you and your family as you pursue homeschooling with a large family surrounding you. May the Lord give you a special dose of His grace and peace as you move through the days and years ahead! :D

Thanks again!

Blessings,
Carrie