Question about Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gatory7

Question about Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons

Post by gatory7 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:05 am

If I am using Res to Ref with an 11-year-old 5th grader, would Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons be too difficult?
He has writing experience (past two years) from Writing Strands but we struggled through it since we just didn't "gel" with the program.

I didn't see an alternative other than a note about if I use Rod & Staff English 4, no other writing curriculum is needed as it contains practice in that area.

Is that correct?

Nealewill

Re: Question about Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 am

Yes, you would use the Medieval History-Based Writing lessons. This year of writing is very different than the other years with HOD. I would not worry so much about your past. Also, many people have stated that this program is challenging. So give yourself some time and grace and use it as an opportunity for growth, even if your child seems to struggle with it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 am

My 10-yr-old 5th grader (this fall) has just started the writing program and although we have only finished unit 2, so far it is going fine for him and we are finding it easier than "Write With the Best" from last year. My son is somewhat of a struggling writer. Last year we struggled, but I saw good improvement. I think the structure of Medieval History Writing is helping my son. Again, we have only done 2 units, but I would say you are fine and be prepared to assist him in the earlier units.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:29 am

Thank you, both for the question and the answer. I will be using it this year with a newly 10-yo in R2R as well as my 13yo in CTC who I'm trying to get up to grade level in English and Science. Thank you for the reassurance!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics