Preparing for an advanced reader but slow writer?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
doubleportion

Preparing for an advanced reader but slow writer?

Post by doubleportion » Mon May 04, 2015 12:52 pm

I'm trying to decide on placement for my almost 9 yr old. He is a very advanced reader. I struggle to keep up with his literature needs. I am considering using Preparing for him next year for his school year but am concerned about the writing side of things. Has anyone used it successfully with a reluctant writer but advanced in everything else?

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

Mumkins

Re: Preparing for an advanced reader but slow writer?

Post by Mumkins » Mon May 04, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't think the writing is too hard in Preparing. But, I found a big jump in CTC, where I had to pull my struggling writer back. He started CTC just before he turned 9 though.

You may want to do Bigger though and just use a higher level of reading books for DITHOR and possibly add the extensions.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Mon May 04, 2015 1:33 pm

I will second Bigger with added DITHOR at the level you think is appropriate :D Do the level 2/3 workbook for DITHOR along with whichever reading level you choose, knowing that the goal is to really digest the reading and analyze it so it shouldn't be too challenging... This should be enough "school" without overwhelming him, and he can get used to more writing albeit broken into smaller chunks. :wink:

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Mon May 04, 2015 2:06 pm

If he's doing Beyond this year, I would definitely not skip ahead to Preparing. I think Bigger would be a great fit.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon May 04, 2015 3:24 pm

My ds11 has long been a very advanced reader & didn't enjoy writing until age 11. He is in CTC this year to continue building those writing skills. I haven't been able to keep up with his reading for years, and have learned during CTC how much more he knows about ancients then is in the program from reading good books that focused on ways in which ancient history can defend the Truth in Scripture. I am saying all this to say that HOD works best, in my experience, when they can do the writing load with ease. This can mean them reading many books in addition to what is in HOD if they are very advanced in reading. In summary, I wouldn't skip Bigger.

My oldest read all of the Bigger extensions when he was ages 8 & 9. Your son may enjoy them.

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Mon May 04, 2015 8:54 pm

I agree with what everyone has already stated here. You do not want to jump ahead if the writing is not there. My ds is an advanced reader (high school/college level) and Bigger has been very enjoyable for him. He has read the extensions for fun and I even threw in a few other American History novels from other curricula that have thus far not been scheduled in HOD. He also read the extra read alouds we did not use in Beyond and Bigger as well as the DITHOR 4/5 book lists (he will use 5/6 next year). The writing has been plenty for ds and while most days he doesn't complain, there are some days he grumbles a bit about the amount of writing, when DITHOR has a writing assignment scheduled along with a busy day of writing in Bigger. I have no doubt that he will do fine with Preparing in the fall, but I would not have wanted to skip this year of writing in Bigger as it was definitely a step up in skill and has prepared him perfectly for the slightly increased writing expectations in Preparing.

My dd (also an advanced reader) was not a reluctant writer in Beyond, but has really struggled with the increased writing expectations in Bigger. It takes her almost as long to complete a half day of Bigger as it takes ds to complete a full day with extensions. This is specifically due to the increased writing. She is slowly and steadily improving, but it will be a few more months before she can work up to full speed Bigger. Even though she is capable of doing many things independently (I.e. Art, science experiments, reading her own science and history), her writing still needs enough supervision that slowing down and allowing her writing skills to mature is the best course of action for her at this time. Anyway, these are my two experiences and why I would not recommend jumping to Preparing with an advanced reader if writing is an issue. HTH
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

cldorman

Post by cldorman » Tue May 05, 2015 7:13 am

I appreciate the feedback on this thread as I've been struggling with the same question...My son is JUST turned 10 and I originally thought he's be in BIGGER but then thought I should bump him up to Preparing and now I'm second guessing. He's very smart, great reader, but slow at printing/copywork/writing. Even following along with BEYOND with his younger sister is a challenge and he seems to fuss about copying poems, etc. *sigh* So I'm wanting great content for him but concerned about level of writing expected in the next level of HOD... I think I will start a 'help' thread... ;)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi there, Edie! :D :D :D I agree with what has been shared already. For an 8 turning 9 yo that is just completing Beyond and not a fan of writing, BHFHG would be a good placement. You can challenge his reading abilities with DITHOR. You can also probably have him read his science, especially the latter portion of the year. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie