Nature Study & music question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twolittlebears

Nature Study & music question

Post by twolittlebears » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:44 pm

HI!
I have a question about the younger guides: LHFHG, BLHFG & BHFHG. Is nature study included in these guides at all? Like growing bean sprouts, bird study or nature walks etc? Also, I see that hymns are integrated, but is there any introduction to artists, composers or classical music? I am just wondering if I would need to add those things in on my own. I know that Carrie has a heart for the CM philosophy and follows much of that in her guides, I'm just wondering if these electives are incorporated at a later age.
Thanks!! :D
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

Jennymommy

Re: Nature Study & music question

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:49 pm

I do know that we have done all of that at various points in guides LHFHG-WG. I don't expect that you would need to add them except as time-for-fun activities 8)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Carrie doesn't include those in the early guides, as she doesn't feel that they are things you should HAVE to include every year. But, she leaves the guides short enough that you can add things you like. She leaves the artist study and the composer study for later years when kids will be more likely to remember what they have learned. But, she includes music in some form in every guide. As for the nature study, it isn't formal in any of the guide we have through so far. Bigger does have more science, so some of those things might in it in (we are only on Unit 1).

I think doing a formal nature study in a guide used throughout the US and in other parts of the world can be challenging because everyone has different options available. Some parts of the US it is hard to get out much in the winter because it is so cold. In other areas, it is hard to get out in the summer because it is so hot. Some people live in major urban areas where there isn't an easy access to true nature. I know she has one in MtMM I think (or Rev2Rev if it isn't MtMM), but then the kids are older and can handle the weather and other challenges easier.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:35 am

As mentioned already, the composer and artist studies are in later guides. I believe a nature journal is scheduled in a later guide as well. We are halfway through Bigger and have spent a bit of time on birds, leaves, flowers, trees and such. DC frequently draw pictures from their books as part of science notebooking, but have also been assigned drawing as part of art where they are looking out a window and drawing a tree, etc.. I know this is not being specifically outside, but if your weather allows, you could certainly transfer some of these assignments to the out of doors. Indoors is nice for us as we have a lot of rainy days.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:45 am

Yes, these electives are formally covered at a later age but I would say that the nature study is somewhat done in Science each year with LHFHG, BLHFHG, and GHFHG but not done in the same way that you might be used to thinking about it. All three of these levels study a lot about nature. You read about it in a book. And science experiments really cover how it applies. Isn't really a true nature study per se. But it has been extremely fun and interesting. For example, you read a book about John Audubon in Bigger to learn about birds. Your science study at that point focuses on birds and your experiments do too. My kids have learned a ton.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:55 am

CTC science includes drawing birds of your area while studying birds, same goes for plants, and also drawing animal tracks during animal study. This makes nature walks and hikes a fun sleuthing opportunity :wink: MTMM includes a guided nature journal. RtR includes Shakespeare study and art/artists study. Rev to Rev includes composers study.

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:38 pm

That insight is very helpful...thank you! Just what I needed to know. :D
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

Natalija

Post by Natalija » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:42 pm

The nature study is included in science segments. In the back of our LHTHG you will find a supplemental material suggestions I believe from My father's world. To do nature walks we also use community HS field trips. They have nature walks often. As for music we do two things: we do piano lessons and attend Classical conversations co-op. They study composers, playing flute etc.. they also do science and science experiments there.