Question about Geometry: A Guided Inquiry

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
andreacress

Question about Geometry: A Guided Inquiry

Post by andreacress » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 pm

For those of you using Geometry: A Guided Inquiry, I had a few questions. I was looking at the links to Math without Borders provided in Carrie's descriptions, and I was wondering which parts of the curriculum are scheduled in the World History Guide. It looks like there are quizzes and tests, algebra reviews in the first half of the book, and also projects. Are any or all of those scheduled? Also, how much time do you spend per day on geometry? I'd appreciate hearing any feedback on how your student is doing with this curriculum. My son is finishing up Algebra 1 with Saxon this year. We have always used Saxon and it seems to be pretty advanced, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a separate Geometry text. Frankly, the Guided Inquiry looks so much more interesting. I think it might get him more excited about math. Thanks so much!
Andrea in FL

ds, 10th grade, World History Guide

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Question about Geometry: A Guided Inquiry

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 am

Andrea,

My son is really enjoying Math: A Guided Inquiry this year! It has excellent teaching within its pages and really does a wonderful job of getting kiddos to apply geometry. In the Introduction to the World History Guide we include suggestions for how to utlilize and schedule this text. We sent a letter to all of our customers using the World History Guide which contained this information so that they would know how to proceed with this text if they were using it this year. We have followed the pacing within that letter ourselves and found it to work very well! :D I cannot say enough good things about this course.

The introduction to the World History guide will be coming in early June on the website, and so you can access it then to see how best to proceed plan-wise. We followed the Math Without Borders suggestions to gain a plan on how best to complete the text in a year.

I will also mention that the Geometry: A Guided Inquiry text has gone out of print, however Mr. Chandler of Math Without Borders has acquired permission to create a scanned, printable PDF of the book which will now be included on the Math Without Borders Geometry flashdrive. I would plan ahead to print the text from the flashdrive for your student to work from as it will make the days go more smoothly. It shouldn't be more expensive to do this when compared to the cost of actually purchasing the text. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

andreacress

Re: Question about Geometry: A Guided Inquiry

Post by andreacress » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Thank you Carrie!! That is extremely helpful, and I'm glad to hear how well the curriculum is working for your son.
Andrea in FL

ds, 10th grade, World History Guide