Mothers - on a grand mission!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Mothers - on a grand mission!

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:50 am

Charlotte Mason has this to say about mothers (taken from Home Education in Modern English, Volume 1 of Charlotte Mason's Series)...

The work that is the most important in society is raising and teaching children. That makes school teachers important, but, even more, those who care for and teach children at home are important, because it is the influence of home life that has the greatest impact on a child's character and future. Being a parent is the most important job and the greatest honor a person can have. Even those raising just one child don't know whether their cherished pride and joy may be the one person who finds the cure for cancer. But being trusted with such an important task means that parents are not free to raise their children however they want. Really, their children are not their personal property, but sort of a public trust, and parents must raise them in such a way that they are a blessing to society. And this important job isn't divided equally between both parents; it falls mostly to the mother because she is usually the one at home with the children in their earliest, most impressionable years. That's why great men often credit their mothers for their success, for taking their responsibility seriously and not giving the job of raising their children to others, such as daycare workers and nannies. Pestalozzi said that mothers were qualified by God Himself to be the greatest influence in her child's early life. The mother owes it to her child and to God who entrusted her, to have a 'thinking love.' God gave children the same kind of hands, heart, and mind as ours and mothers must ask themselves, "How shall I train my child to use those gifts? For whose benefits shall those gifts be used?" The answers to those questions may determine the future of her beloved child, whether his life is one of misery or happiness. A loving mother is the most important part of what a child will become. As mothers become more educated and read more, they will understand the importance of their task and feel like such a grand mission can't be left to anyone but themselves. And mothers will take up their duty seriously, with the same care for detail and commitment they would give an outside, paying job.

Ladies - as we begin this school year - let us remember we are on a 'grand mission' as mothers - an important mission that only we can fulfill! In a world that sometimes undervalues the blessed calling of motherhood, let us recall that what we are doing is incredibly important, full of purpose, and a God-given calling that is worthy, fulfilling work to do! God bless all of you mothers this day and this school year!!! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Nealewill

Re: Mothers - on a grand mission!

Post by Nealewill » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Some days are really tough but this is such a great reminder that we are doing what God called us to do. Thanks for sharing.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Wow! What a great quote! Thank you for posting, Julie. I need to print that one out!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Amen sister!
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks so much, ladies! :D Truly almost everything Charlotte Mason said is quotable, but this spoke to my heart especially as I get ready to begin my 13th year of homeschooling with HOD, and my 20th year of being in the teaching profession. Quotes like these reset my mind upon the purpose of what I am committing to do this school year. Though I work part time, and I do have a sweet homeschool gal come watch the dc a few afternoons a week, I still view my job as a mother as of the utmost importance. That balance is difficult to maintain, but this quote reminds me, it is worth the time and the effort - my dc are worth it. Thanks for letting me share! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie