finishing LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

finishing LHFHG

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Hello everyone...

My kids, son (just turned 8) and daughter (just turned 6), and i are trying to finish up LHFHG this summer. We are currently on unit 28. I have good intentions on finishing, but am feeling my spirits lagging behind. (Could be the pregnancy fatigue...) We started mid way in August last year and took breaks as we needed them for vacations, holidays, etc. Other than those breaks, we were faithful to keep going. So I am discouraged that we are so far behind. I am worried about starting the next guide later than August and falling even further behind next year if we follow a similar break pattern.

Is the general recommendation to finish one guide before moving on the the next? If we hit August and are still not done with LHFHG, is it ok to switch to the next guide? This is my second year homeschooling, but my first with HOD. I am a "follow the rules" girl, so it feels weird to think about skipping the end of a guide. I don't want to be too rigid though!

Thanks!
Sara
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

StephanieU

Re: finishing LHFHG

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:59 pm

I don't think it would be an issue to jump to Beyond. We doubled up some days at the end of LHFHG because we wanted to get done by a certain day so we could take 2 weeks off. We skipped a little of the verse memorization, storytime, and maybe one or two fo the rotating box activities. But, we did the history reading, devotional, and kept up with the 3Rs. When you get to the US landmarks, it is easy to double up.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:06 pm

I skipped some of the end of LHFHG with my oldest and went up to Beyond. I regretted it. There are skills and activities in the end that are really helpful to have the practice on. Of course you don't want to skip in math or reading either, if you were following the guide in those subjects.

Keep in mind that if LHFHG is Kindergarten then you have an extra year to finish all the guides through 8th grade. This has calmed me down because with the younger guides that have 5 days/week of plans you simply can't get them done in a year (we only school 4 days a week). Unless your kids are really bored, I would keep going and do your best to complete everything. With my 2nd born I just kept on going no matter when it was (and my oldest had to slow down in Bigger so now we are nowhere near a schedule where we switch guides in the fall).
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Thank you ladies. My kids are each doing the HOD recommended resources for math and reading at their own level, but not according to the unit we are on. My son is older so he is working on Emerging Readers and my daughter is in TRL. Everyday we keep working on our three R's, but not following the exact page of the unit lesson we are on, if that makes sense. I have other book marks in the guides for where they are at with reading, math, spelling, etc.

So what you are saying, Melissa, is that there is a year of "grace" in there if we count LHFHG as Kindergarten? That does help me relax. Thank you. My oldest is "technically" going in to 3rd grade but I have combined him with my younger daughter to simplify life for me and because, other than the three R's, which are easily adjustable, he places fine with her. I don't want him to end up far behind where he should be...if there is such a place. ha ha!

So I will try to relax and finish LHFHG. And not beat myself up when we spend more time enjoying summer than doing school... :D
Sara Irene
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 am

I noticed that he is obviously older and combined with a younger sibling. I think even in that case, if you use extensions or beef it up for him as he gets older, he will not be behind in anything. The thinking skills taught in these guides are ahead of their time, IMO. And it is great for a young boy to have a fun and gentle approach to learning, I hope you have found it fun for him.

Once I gave up my "must finish a guide in a year" idea and realized I just need to meet my kids where they are at, and we learn through so many things in our lives other than just book work and "school," I have found homeschooling to be such a joyful experience for all of us. And it was pretty good even before. I don't want my lack of diligence to be what holds my kids back when they can obviously move forward, but I also don't want my pushing ahead to make learning into something that stresses us all out.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you, Melissa. He has enjoyed the pace of this year. The slightly lighter pace in LHFHG has helped to take away the stress of learning something new and hard at his level (like subtraction!). I think if I put him into a higher guide he would hate school. :)

I think I need to take a small week long vacation for myself this week. We have been busy volunteering at church for their VBS typpe program, so we are all tired and could probably use a break from school work. I suppose it is ok to rest every once in awhile!
Sara Irene