High school math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MicheleW

High school math

Post by MicheleW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 pm

My son is in 10th grade. He is using M2M with extension. We had always used Abeka for math up through 7th grade. Their next book was pre-algebra and VideoText says it covers pre-algebra, algebra, and algebra 2, so in 8th grade, we went ahead and started VideoText. DS completed their 2 year program (8th & 9th grade), but he never felt like he understood the lesson from the video and I always ended up teaching the lesson anyway. I also did not feel that VideoText gives enough repetition for the concepts to stick, so we switched back to Abeka for geometry this year (10th grade).

Now I do not know what to do next year. We will be using the World Geography guide for 11th grade, but have no idea what to use for math. I was assuming that the next math would be trig, but the next Abeka book is called Precalculus (with Trig and Analytical Geometry). The description says it includes a review of trig. We haven't had Trig yet! Does this seem odd? I'm willing to try another program, but have no idea what to use. I know VideoText is a 2 year program of geometry/trig, so I don't think we can use that.

Any ideas?
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

StephanieU

Re: High school math

Post by StephanieU » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:42 am

Precalculus is a full year course while Trigonometry is normally a semester (and the other semester is advanced algebra/analytical geometry normally). So, ihe title makes sense. But, i would be careful going that route if he isn't sure if the Algebra stuck. If you have concerns about his algebra skills, I would strongly consider doing another year of Algebra 2 and then doing PreCalculus for the senior year. Another thing to consider is what his future goals are. Does he want to go into a field where there is a lot of math required (business, physical science, engineering)? Or is he more interested in social sciences, life science, etc? If he is more interested in the non-math heavy fields, statistics is a great option. Most four year universities require two semesters of math , college algebra or higher. So, for the non-math intensive degrees, normally students take college algebra, statistics, and/or a liberal arts math class. All of these are below the precalculus level, with the last two being more application based and hence "useful" in the real world outside of science.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:22 am

Does Abeka have an Algebra 2 course? Algebra 2 and Trig are sometimes combined then Pre-Calculus continues with some Trigonometry. Trig is sometimes integrated into the other courses.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 pm

If I chose to review Algebra 2, how would that work on the transcript? Can't exactly put it down twice, and yet he wouldn't have enough credits to just leave it off. Wouldn't want him to do all the work of a whole year of math and not get any high school credit for it. Does that make sense?
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Abeka just places their math in this sequence: Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Pre-cal.........
Some use this sequence: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Cal
Either sequence allows for trig, or calculus, or business, or consumer math in 12th.

So, since you didn't feel he grasped the algebra well, I would also recommend an Algebra 2 programs first. It will look completely natural on his transcript.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:31 pm

You only need four years of math. Put Algebra 1 as 9th grade, Geometry for 10th, Algebra 2 for 11th, and them your chose for 12th. And in your mind, think of 8th grade as Pre Algebra.
Mom to

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 am

Thank you everyone for all your help. I really wouldn't say he didn't grasp Algebra. He did fine in it. This year he's doing Geometry so he uses basic algebra skills, but doesn't use much higher algebra (logarithms, etc), so I really can't say how much of Algebra 2 he remembers. If I could find one that incorporates some algebra 2 with trig or something so it wasn't a total repeat of algebra 2, that would be ideal. Then we could do the pre-calc in 12th. I guess I'll have to start looking through math programs.

Abeka does not have a separate trig program, and pre-calc seems to be the last book they have (other than some electives of business math and consumer math.)
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:27 am

Is there a community college near you? Honestly, that is often a great idea after geometry in my opinion. Math is a fairly "sterile" subject so it is a great one for high schoolers to take as dual credit. He could take the placement test for the school adn just go from where he places. I would think the goal would be at least intermediate algebra if not college algebra placement.
Mom to