new here!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracelikerain

new here!

Post by gracelikerain » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Ladies!
I am Georgette, mama to 4 amazing blessings. I just found HOD a few days ago from my sweet friend Mama Mary. Thank you Mary!! :lol:
I am so hooked! I can't wait to order. :D I plan on buying LHTH for my ds4. It looks so fun!
Then I was thinking of getting Preparing for my 2 older girls. They will be 8 & 11 in Sept. & Oct. My dilemma is I wanted to do Bigger first but I am doing AS1(American Story) from WP right now. In Bigger I would only be covering new material at unit 20. Anyone out there think it is still worth it to do? Especially since I haven't covered the civil war & immigration & such yet. AHH so many decisions! :roll: Mary, if you read this what are your thoughts?
I am looking forward to using HOD & getting to know everone!

Bless you all!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

MamaMary

Re: new here!

Post by MamaMary » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 pm

gracelikerain wrote:Hi Ladies!
I am Georgette, mama to 4 amazing blessings. I just found HOD a few days ago from my sweet friend Mama Mary. Thank you Mary!! :lol:
I am so hooked! I can't wait to order. :D I plan on buying LHTH for my ds4. It looks so fun!
Then I was thinking of getting Preparing for my 2 older girls. They will be 8 & 11 in Sept. & Oct. My dilemma is I wanted to do Bigger first but I am doing AS1(American Story) from WP right now. In Bigger I would only be covering new material at unit 20. Anyone out there think it is still worth it to do? Especially since I haven't covered the civil war & immigration & such yet. AHH so many decisions! :roll: Mary, if you read this what are your thoughts?
I am looking forward to using HOD & getting to know everone!

Bless you all!
:P :P Oh GEORGETTE! :P :P I am SO glad your here my friend! I definitely think you could do bigger because it does a different take on american hx..., it is biographical!

Have you taken the placement test? That has been very accurate. I'm so excited that your here!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:10 am

Hi Georgette,

WELCOME!
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:18 am

Welcome to the boards! :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

naturegirl

Post by naturegirl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:48 am

Hi Georgette!
It is great to have you here! :D Kimber
Starting Bigger Hearts For His Glory and Drawn into the Heart of Reading with my son in August 2008! Also enjoying learning along with my high schooler.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:42 am

:D :D :D WELCOME :D :D :D

So glad to have you here! Any friend of Mary's.... :lol:

I agree with Mary, Bigger will be a different approach to Am. history, so I don't think it would get to redundant. How much of HOD do you plan to use?? Reading, language arts, math??? I would look at those placements as well. Also remember that it is easier to gear toward your younger and beef up for your older. :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

peridot

Post by peridot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Welcome!!! :D
~April~
Wife to my beloved husband
Mommy to our blessings (10,8,5,2 and newborn~12/29/2010)
We are going to use Bigger w/ 10yr-will be 11 (with extensions) & 8yr old & LHFHG with 5yr old-will be 6. :-)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:25 pm

Welcome from another newbie!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Welcome Georgette! Because you are Mary's friend we love you already! :D I wish I could answer your question but I am not familiar with WP but I will tell you we love Bigger! :wink: But don't worry all the programs are great! you can't go wrong. It's like picking between candy and chocolate. :D

Welcome Mary's Friend!
BTW- I love your login name! 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Welcome Georgette!

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:20 pm

Well Hulllooooo, Georgette!

We just started LHTH this week with my daughter and she loves it, as do her friends I babysit! You should see 3 preschoolers, one toddler, and a baby all dancing around when the music comes on or we are reading our Bible story and they are all clambering to get into my lap.

Good luck to you Georgette! Your name makes me think of a southern belle. Am I close? :wink:
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I am SOOOO excited to start! I just got my catalog in the mail. I love it!! :D

I am from Long Island, NY. So, no southern belle here! But I am a real country girl at heart as I spent all my childhood summers up in the Catskill Mts. :wink:

Blessings,
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

Valerie

New here also

Post by Valerie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:24 am

hey Georgette, I'm new here to. But I am so exceited about this program!! I bought BLHFHG at the homeschool convention in NC in May, this will be for my twin boys who are 7yrs. But then I couldn't shake the thought of get PHFHG for my dd who will be 10 in August. I showed her the first weeks lesson pages online and she jumped right on board with it!!! :D I will try to plan lessons for my older boys 13 and 12 around the PHFHG format. I think we are in for an incredible year, I wish they would let me start now!!! :lol: But I guess I can allow some time for summer activities ( learning even if they don't know it) :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Georgette,

I just wanted to welcome you too! The ladies are so wonderful about helping with placement questions, so once you've taken a look at the placement chart, let us know what you're thinking. We'll jump right in to help you talk through your options! :D

Here's the link to the placement chart:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

P.S. Valerie, I wanted to welcome you too! We're glad you're part of the HOD family! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

BlessedMommy

Post by BlessedMommy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:24 am

Just wanted to chime in and say hi. I made a long post last week to say hello and I can't find it...

Anyway....

Blessings from another HOD Mommy!
:D
Adrienne Kleeman
Wife to a WONDERFUL Hubby
Mommy to:
Avery - 8
Trenton - 6
Isabelle - 4